Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're in Florida anytime soon PM me we could do a 911/GT350 comparison.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:56 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive the GT350 before any rash decisions. I would probably take one over a 997S, but I was underwhelmed given the heaps of praise the car got. 350R would be a no brainer for me...the 997S would be gone. If it were a 997 GT3, I'd likely keep the Porsche.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:57 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by calpolo17
Drive the GT350 before any rash decisions. I would probably take one over a 997S, but I was underwhelmed given the heaps of praise the car got. 350R would be a no brainer for me...the 997S would be gone. If it were a 997 GT3, I'd likely keep the Porsche.
Really? Where did you drive it?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:42 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by calpolo17
Underwhelmed...How dare you! 😬
Old 08-04-2016, 10:08 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have almost pulled the trigger for a gt350 track pack but to be honest with you, this turned me off:

- The build quality is horrible. In fact, its so bad that my wife who is a clueless person when it comes to cars found lots of issues such as : uneven panel gaps, paint chips (like someone touched the paint while it was wet), color difference between paint panels, weather seal that is not fully sealing the door, between two cars side by side different wheel gap and different gap between exhaust pipes.

- Interior quality and the overall interior design is very hard to swallow. Big circle gauges from 1950s, the passenger side dash that sticks out and looks too high, and overall material quality is really poor.

- Its a mustang. They-are-EVERYWHERE! To this date, for some reason, I cannot tell a gt350 from a gt premium apart easily. I keep seeing regular gts thinking they are shelby and then realize they are not and also the other way around.

And the biggest reason for last

- Its huge. Its as long as the previous 5 series. Its as wide as my M5. And it weighs more than the already very heavy M3. In fact it weighs as much as an E39 M5. Yes I heard the "it hides its weight" argument and guess what I drive a car that does the same and I know what the new tech does, but the problem is there is no way to cheat law of physics. There is no way to shorten that wheelbase. There is no way this car will handle like a 997GT3 or GT4. Its a long and wide muscle car as the previous mustang was and as the next mustang will be.

And another point that I can personally relate. M5 lap nurburgring at 7:55. The new M2 does the same at 7:58. But guess what, M2 is probably 10 times more fun and 9 out of 10 people will choose it over an M5 for a fun nimble track car. Its the same thing with the GT350 and a 997. Yes GT350 sounds good (it actually sounds too loud and i dont see it sounding as exotic as the H6 or ferrari v8), but it doesnt look, feel, and drive like a porsche. I would never replace the porsche with it.

I think there are lots of people in this thread who like to change cars all the time and for them mustang is another toy. Tomorrow they ll get the new zl1 and make a thread about that next will be zora corvette and so on. None of those cars will fill the gap of a mezger gt3 or a cayman gt4. They are just another big heavy car that goes fast thanks to tricks in suspension and tuning.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:43 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a sweet engine and a nice set of seats. Clutch felt weird. Interior is straight out of a rental car. Decent ride, but not as compliant as a 997 in my mind. Car felt big and heavy (which it is). I wasn't on a track, mind you. I'm sure its a blast on the track, but it's not what this potential owner will use it for.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:47 PM
Para82
Race Car

It does feel much larger than a 997 and I prefer the ergonomics of the 997 over the GT350.

Two very different cars.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:53 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by DerStig
I have almost pulled the trigger for a gt350 track pack but to be honest with you, this turned me off:

- The build quality is horrible. In fact, its so bad that my wife who is a clueless person when it comes to cars found lots of issues such as : uneven panel gaps, paint chips (like someone touched the paint while it was wet), color difference between paint panels, weather seal that is not fully sealing the door, between two cars side by side different wheel gap and different gap between exhaust pipes.

- Interior quality and the overall interior design is very hard to swallow. Big circle gauges from 1950s, the passenger side dash that sticks out and looks too high, and overall material quality is really poor.

- Its a mustang. They-are-EVERYWHERE! To this date, for some reason, I cannot tell a gt350 from a gt premium apart easily. I keep seeing regular gts thinking they are shelby and then realize they are not and also the other way around.

- Its huge. Its as long as the previous 5 series. Its as wide as my M5. And it weighs more than the already very heavy M3. In fact it weighs as much as an E39 M5. Yes I heard the "it hides its weight" argument and guess what I drive a car that does the same and I know what the new tech does, but the problem is there is no way to cheat law of physics. There is no way to shorten that wheelbase. There is no way this car will handle like a 997GT3 or GT4. Its a long and wide muscle car as the previous mustang was and as the next mustang will be.

And another point that I can personally relate. M5 lap nurburgring at 7:55. The new M2 does the same at 7:58. But guess what, M2 is probably 10 times more fun and 9 out of 10 people will choose it over an M5 for a fun nimble track car. Its the same thing with the GT350 and a 997. Yes GT350 sounds good (it actually sounds too loud and i dont see it sounding as exotic as the H6 or ferrari v8), but it doesnt look, feel, and drive like a porsche. I would never replace the porsche with it.

I think there are lots of people in this thread who like to change cars all the time and for them mustang is another toy. Tomorrow they ll get the new zl1 and make a thread about that next will be zora corvette and so on. None of those cars will fill the gap of a mezger gt3 or a cayman gt4. They are just another big heavy car that goes fast thanks to tricks in suspension and tuning.

Not feeling it?

Porsche has nicer interior agreed. I'm surprised you can't tell a GT350 from a normal GT - they look nothing alike. They share the same headlights which sit 2 inches lower in the GT350 widebody that's about it.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:31 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

A good dose of reality. I appreciate the candid perspective and I can't disagree with your points.

Although I have looked over the particular car in question carefully and the paint job is very nice. But the body panel fitment certainly could be better in certain spots, I think they're all like that.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:34 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,668 Likes on 5,111 Posts

I think the fact that we are discussing the 350GT (not r) with the 911, or any of its variants from the GT3 to the RS, is pretty high praise for the pony car.

It stickers from something between 1/2 to 1/3 of the sticker of the Carrera, GT3, or RS. It's real competitors are cars like the Camaro and C7, at least price-wise.

It would be pretty damning if the 350GT had as good fit and finish, and driving capabilities, as a 911 C2, or heaven forbid a GT3.

Folks here might break the internet if that happened.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:36 AM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

So... the GT350 is a Mustang??? Oh snap... I wish I'd known that before I bought one.

What's with all the hate? Geeze, it's not my GT3, or my 650S, or whatever, but it's fun as hell to drive.

BTW, here's an M2 video you might enjoy... www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RVr8XkeuKA I did.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:20 AM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Para82
Not feeling it? Porsche has nicer interior agreed. I'm surprised you can't tell a GT350 from a normal GT - they look nothing alike. They share the same headlights which sit 2 inches lower in the GT350 widebody that's about it.
Para, don't get weak on me. You must be tired. Now, let him have it!
Old 08-05-2016, 04:01 AM
Para82
Race Car

Attached Images  

Last edited by Para82; 08-05-2016 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:35 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, you sure did a 180. Here is what you posted just a few pages back:

"I drove a number of high revving naturally aspirated sports cars out there (E46 M3, E92 M3, 996 GT3, 997.2 GT3, 991 GT3, GT4) and I have to tell you my understanding of an engine feel and sound totally changed when I heard GT350. Words cannot describe the feel of this engine. I dont care if its as big as a truck (its really not much bigger than the E92 M3), but I wouldnt even compare it to a GT4. To be honest, GT4 only has its size going for it. It doesnt rev that high, its not too fast and torquey, and it doesnt sound special. GT3 sounds great but as much as Porsche is in another league when it comes to interior quality and engineering, GT350 is also in another league with its engine. The way it revs, sounds, and responds is just unreal. And it costs pocket change compared to other GT cars. I think its one of those cars everyone should have in their garage all the time."

I haven't driven a GT350, so no firsthand experience. While I agree that weight is the enemy of lap times and consumables budgets (all else being equal), the size of the car, or at least the long wheelbase and wide track could be virtues on a big, fast track with lots of very high speed sweepers. I'll reserve judgment until I drive one on track for myself.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:56 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 240 Likes on 140 Posts

^LOL
I actually think the build quality is pretty good for a domestic....

Quick Reply: GT350