Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 03:00 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
I already have an Audi as my DD, so the 911 is just my weekend toy.
Keep the Porsche, sell the Audi and make the GT350 your DD. Will that work with SWSBO?

TT
Old 08-04-2016, 03:33 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Help me out guys, I'm in agony thinking about the GT350.

I've read all about the car, have never driven one, but no other car has captured my desire like this one since I've owned my 911. My plan was to simply buy the GT350 and keep my beloved 997.1 Carrera S which I have owned for more than 7 blissful years.

Here's the catch, wife won't let me have both. Happy wife = happy life (no, divorcing her is not an option! LOL). I already have an Audi as my DD, so the 911 is just my weekend toy. It was always my dream to own a 911, so it's hard for me to think of selling it.

OTOH, the desire to get a GT350 is overwhelming, I can't sleep at nights thinking about it. My local dealer has a 2016 Track Pack in the color combo I want, which I believe I can get for close to MSRP if not MSRP. I'm seriously thinking of selling my 997.1 to in order to get it.

Money is not the issue, keeping my wife happy is. I know what the Shelby is, I know it's no Porsche, I'm not expecting it to be. I have driven the 2016 EcoBoost Mustang extensively as rental cars on 3 business trips. So I know the GT350 is a big heavy car, know what the interior is about and know the overall quality fit and finish wise is nowhere near Porsche. Still, I want one!

I just don't know if I can live without the Porsche 911. The only way I'll be happy without the Porsche is if the fun to drive and X factor of the GT350 is everything it's made out to be. But I really won't know that until I've owned one for a while. This is just killing me.

I can't believe I've read through the 98 pages of this long thread in search of an answer and I'm still not sure.

Should I do it?
Stop reading.... buy one. 99% chance you'll be quite happy with it... especially once you really drive it and hear the sound.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:57 PM
avh128996tt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help me out guys, I'm in agony thinking about the GT350.

I've read all about the car, have never driven one, but no other car has captured my desire like this one since I've owned my 911. My plan was to simply buy the GT350 and keep my beloved 997.1 Carrera S which I have owned for more than 7 blissful years.

Here's the catch, wife won't let me have both. Happy wife = happy life (no, divorcing her is not an option! LOL). I already have an Audi as my DD, so the 911 is just my weekend toy. It was always my dream to own a 911, so it's hard for me to think of selling it.

OTOH, the desire to get a GT350 is overwhelming, I can't sleep at nights thinking about it. My local dealer has a 2016 Track Pack in the color combo I want, which I believe I can get for close to MSRP if not MSRP. I'm seriously thinking of selling my 997.1 to in order to get it.

Money is not the issue, keeping my wife happy is. I know what the Shelby is, I know it's no Porsche, I'm not expecting it to be. I have driven the 2016 EcoBoost Mustang extensively as rental cars on 3 business trips. So I know the GT350 is a big heavy car, know what the interior is about and know the overall quality fit and finish wise is nowhere near Porsche. Still, I want one!

I just don't know if I can live without the Porsche 911. The only way I'll be happy without the Porsche is if the fun to drive and X factor of the GT350 is everything it's made out to be. But I really won't know that until I've owned one for a while. This is just killing me.

I can't believe I've read through the 98 pages of this long thread in search of an answer and I'm still not sure.

Should I do it?
I Know exactly how you feel, I've read all 98 pages too and I want GT350 also. I have 997tt + 4x4 Toyota Tacoma+ Toyota Sienna and i love them(yet i want GT350 and my wife will kill me). the only option I have is to sell my 997TT . I need my Sienna for daily work and DD , I need my 4x4 for hunting and fishing trips to Baja California.Very tough choice!
Old 08-04-2016, 03:58 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I would take the gt350 over the 997 c2. I don't find it, 997, that special.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
Keep the Porsche, sell the Audi and make the GT350 your DD. Will that work with SWSBO?

TT
I've thought about that, but the Audi needs to stay. For reasons that I don't want to really get into.

I'm not a track junkie, I'll do an occasional track event now and then, but the GT350 would be mainly my weekend toy in place of the Carrera S.

I've thought about the GT3 and GT4. But honestly (and no offense), those cars simply didn't grab me the way the GT350 did ever since Ford announced that beast. There's something raw and visceral that appeals to me. That exhaust note is to die for! And call it a mid-life crisis, but I love its boy racer looks. Would seem like a no brainer, since I'm smitten with the GT350 bug.

However, I've owned BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Porsche for the last 25+ years, never ever thought I'd consider an American car again. Moreover, the 911 was/is my dream car, so as much as I want the GT350, it's just as hard for me to let go of the 911. I've put many upgrades into the 911 to make it my "own", so there's a sentimental attachment as well.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:21 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by avh128996tt
I Know exactly how you feel, I've read all 98 pages too and I want GT350 also. I have 997tt + 4x4 Toyota Tacoma+ Toyota Sienna and i love them(yet i want GT350 and my wife will kill me). the only option I have is to sell my 997TT . I need my Sienna for daily work and DD , I need my 4x4 for hunting and fishing trips to Baja California.Very tough choice!
Aw, you share my pain my friend. Misery loves company!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Dump the Audi - you're going to miss the 911. It's not as fast, doesn't handle as well and doesn't sound as good as the GT350 but it's a 911. They make a great pair.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:36 PM
f1life
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having driven the GT350 quite extensively I can tell you it is an amazing machine. It can be used as a daily driver (thanks to magnaride) and a track weapon. It looks great as well, with the wide body and aggressive front end. In my opinion though the #1 reason to get the car is that it is one of the best sounding cars on the road.

I think you have to ask yourself why are you really struggling with giving up the P-car? If you don't end up liking the Mustang you can easily sell it for minimal loss and jump right back into a nice used P-car or even step up to something newer.

I say go for it!!
Old 08-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Para82
Dump the Audi - you're going to miss the 911. It's not as fast, doesn't handle as well and doesn't sound as good as the GT350 but it's a 911. They make a great pair.
Sadly, dumping the Audi is not an option. That car needs to stay for entirely different reasons. It's a totally different kind of car for a totally different need.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Para82
Race Car

Sadly, dumping the Audi is not an option. That car needs to stay for entirely different reasons. It's a totally different kind of car for a totally different need.
If having the GT350 with the 911 will not make any major impact on your financial position or future plans you need to convince the wife that you will need both in the garage. Believe me it's worth the trouble. I've got a 997S Launch Edition i've had for 7 years as my daily driver, I love that car, I searched daily for 11 months before I found it - it's got every option I wanted and finding them again on a Carrera S is near impossible (PCCB, Full Leather, PSE, Adaptive seats, Alcantara...etc)

I think you probably love the 911 as much as I do - it's your dream car and one of the world's greatest automotive icons. You will miss it no matter what you replace it with.

These cars have such different driving dynamics they compliment each other very well, do what you can to make it happen.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

@Mspeedster.... what GT350 color did you have in mind? Have you configured one yet?

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/trim/shelbygt350/
Old 08-04-2016, 05:21 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Sounds like you need to sell the 997 and get a GT350. If money isn't the core issue, you can eliminate the risk - just plan to get another 911 a year or two later if the GT350 doesn't work out. You'll lose some money, but if you come back you could get a 911 that's just a little closer to your personal ideal - some kind of upgrade. Between that and the experiences you'll have along the way it sounds like it would be worth the potential costs.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Para82 - Keeping both is the solution for me. Believe me, I've tried to convince the wife, but it's not happening. She doesn't even like the idea of me getting the Shelby period and having two weekend cars is just out of the question for her. (I'm still trying though...) While I can afford to buy the GT350 in cash, it's not like I'm made out of money either. There are other family priorities. So I get where she's coming from.

Bossing - Yes I have configured on-line, several times in fact. In a 2016 model, I'm looking for a Track Pack in Deep Impact Blue with white stripes. in a 2017, I'd want Lightning Blue (as DIB is discontinued) with white stripes w/ Electronics Pack, as the Track pack is standard. Oxford white with blue stripes is my second choice color combo in either model year.

ace37 - Good advice, I might just end up going that route. Still not sure though...

Last edited by Mspeedster; 08-04-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Para82
If having the GT350 with the 911 will not make any major impact on your financial position or future plans you need to convince the wife that you will need both in the garage. Believe me it's worth the trouble. I've got a 997S Launch Edition i've had for 7 years as my daily driver, I love that car, I searched daily for 11 months before I found it - it's got every option I wanted and finding them again on a Carrera S is near impossible (PCCB, Full Leather, PSE, Adaptive seats, Alcantara...etc)

I think you probably love the 911 as much as I do - it's your dream car and one of the world's greatest automotive icons. You will miss it no matter what you replace it with.

These cars have such different driving dynamics they compliment each other very well, do what you can to make it happen.
If you had to choose between your 911 and your GT350, could you?
Old 08-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Para82
Race Car

It would be like choosing which child to give away for adoption

I love them both.

Quick Reply: GT350