Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
The Old Vette http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/443316 $19K ready to play. Could use a set of long tubes and a tune for 400 or so rwhp. This is what you call a "Cheap Disposable Track Car" Who needs a stinking warranty

Peter
I drove a C5Z06 on track once, a brand new ’04 as I vaguely recall. It was a very capable machine, but man that interior was about as bad as it gets. I never liked the C5 from the outside either. Cosmetic appeal shouldn’t matter a whit on such a car, but for some reason it still does to me, even on a track *****. I had a tricked out 964 at the time, which felt, sounded and looked a lot more satisfying in my heavily biased assessment.

But you are correct in stating that it’s hard to beat a $19K c5Z06 for a cheap, disposable track ***** that can keep up with some of the faster modern cars. There’s one that occasionally shows up at a local track that’s squarely into “moving chicane” territory, but I suspect that’s mostly down to an inexperienced driver. It also puffs out blue smoke at various points on the track, so the engine may be tired as well. It’s really too bad the LS3 is no good for heavy track work. I like a lot of things about the C6, and they’re pretty inexpensive with reasonable parts cost.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:10 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Since you guys have experience running Vettes do you reckon that a naturally aspirated Vette with a good aero kit can beat and be as or more reliable than a Viper ACR or is Dodge's factory effort as good as their Nurburgring lap times would indicate?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:32 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is
Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Guess that answers that! LOL. I guess my other question would be if Vettes have a greater ceiling in terms of road racing performance (increase displacement, change gearing, lighten, etc) or do you Vette guys running your 434 LS2s ( ) still have more potential?
Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've heard, the C5 is better aero dynamically than the C6, and the Viper is a air brick. IMO part of what makes the C6 Corvette faster than the Gen IV (2008-2010) Vipers mod for mod. Add and aero kit to the Vette and it would win, even vs the ACR. The new Viper however seems to be on par if not better than the C6 in that department.

Vipers will blow up, but significantly less than Corvette's. I think there were some oiling issues there too, but not nearly as bad. It's give and take. The viper is more reliable but the Corvette has more potential, and is more forgiving and easier to drive fast, assuming we are talking like generations. As for the new models, no one knows yet other than the new Viper is FAST!

It's a tough call really. Ball is in Corvette's hands now. Viper has played it's card, and it's a good one.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:51 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
As for the new models, no one knows yet other than the new Viper is FAST!

It's a tough call really. Ball is in Corvette's hands now. Viper has played it's card, and it's a good one.
Sub 80 second lap at Petit Le Mans was impressive for an entry that still had the new car smell. It would be funny to see Viper rain on Corvette's stingray marketing parade already.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enduro911
Guess that answers that! LOL. I guess my other question would be if Vettes have a greater ceiling in terms of road racing performance (increase displacement, change gearing, lighten, etc) or do you Vette guys running your 434 LS2s ( ) still have more potential?
I was laughing when I said "Mine is" It's old and not much left stock, I think its a tuff call too, we'll see how it does against Cindy Lux when her and Fred come race haha( I would be happy to just beat Fred's electric shopping cart lol) I left at least 80-90 hp on the table with my motor to help with reliability, My car still has a plate on it for some reason, so it could lose some more weight but everything else is done. built RPM trans with gearing and coolers, Quaife diff, ARE dry sump, someones C6 Z06 like "mikymu's would be a better comparison being a newer model.

Originally Posted by wanna911
From what I've heard, the C5 is better aero dynamically than the C6, and the Viper is a air brick. IMO part of what makes the C6 Corvette faster than the Gen IV (2008-2010) Vipers mod for mod. Add and aero kit to the Vette and it would win, even vs the ACR. The new Viper however seems to be on par if not better than the C6 in that department.

Vipers will blow up, but significantly less than Corvette's. I think there were some oiling issues there too, but not nearly as bad. It's give and take. The viper is more reliable but the Corvette has more potential, and is more forgiving and easier to drive fast, assuming we are talking like generations. As for the new models, no one knows yet other than the new Viper is FAST!

The C5 Z06 is a bit aero handicapped with it's short rear window. We have to see what the C7 Z06 brings and go from there. As I was typing this my tuner called with my dyno sheet and weight for NASA, it made 508 rwhp and 489 ftlbs on 91 oct, 3044lbs
Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

What do we figure a C7 Z51 needs to survive the track?

Is the a roll bar for a C6? No sure if I'm comfortable with just a harness bar in a targatop car.
I hate that they dont build them with a real solid roof..

Some good brake pads and rotors should be not too diffcult to find assuming the calipers are better than the C6 ones, otherwise an entire brake kit.

Suspension with magnetic ride should be OK.

Gearbox, engine and diff look OK on paper and have cooling in all the right places.

Slap some track tires on and see what happens I guess.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:25 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
What do we figure a C7 Z51 needs to survive the track?

Is the a roll bar for a C6? No sure if I'm comfortable with just a harness bar in a targatop car.
I hate that they dont build them with a real solid roof..

Some good brake pads and rotors should be not too diffcult to find assuming the calipers are better than the C6 ones, otherwise an entire brake kit.

Suspension with magnetic ride should be OK.

Gearbox, engine and diff look OK on paper and have cooling in all the right places.

Slap some track tires on and see what happens I guess.
What do you think about waiting for the C7 Z06 for the trackcar experiment?
You would get the solid roof, bigger brakes.
Other than waiting for the Z I think you have it about right, brakes should be good with some floating rotors, pads and SRF, someone will make a bolt in roll bar, Pfadt made a good one for both c5 and c6. Pfadt will also have a magnetic ride coilover for it like they have for the ZL1. Interested to see how it does
Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

They may screw up the Z06 with boost.
I like the cheapness of the base car, it will likely take the same upgrades to make it track worthy as the faster models so might as well stick to the base car.

I guess I need to Google Pfadt.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
They may screw up the Z06 with boost.
I like the cheapness of the base car, it will likely take the same upgrades to make it track worthy as the faster models so might as well stick to the base car.

I guess I need to Google Pfadt.
I think your right on there, I would make the same changes to any Corvette. I hope they don't go that direction with the Z06 but who knows.
http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/
Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Too much talk no action bores me
Reter, since u too busy my ways, have ur wife go get a zo6 cheap c6
Then beg orbit to build it up with pfadt parts
Do 50 Sebring days then report bk.
Perhaps we all wear bowtie soon
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

http://wot.motortrend.com/qa-with-co...#axzz2Oa74jqTH

Interesting interview with Tadge Juechter
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

New Camaro has much-improved taillight treatment. Hopefully this will filter into the Corvette.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ance#100422991

Blows my mind, the Corvette's *** is so ugly, why didn't they intro this rear end on the Corvette, so that the Camaro would be aping the Corvette??

Quick Reply: New Corvette...