Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddies stock 2007 C6Z can't seem to finish a full DE weekend without some kind of issue. He's had numerous issues. An engine failure which Chevy replaced under warranty (not sure Porsche would replace a tracked engine failure). He's had recurrent power steering issues. He gets limp mode when a tire pressure sensor goes out.

When the Z06 runs, it's fast. VERY fast. Faster than my RS. The V8 torque really helps on hills and straights. I agree that the Vette and Viper are more affordable track day weapons, but his experience has made me apprehensive about adding a Vette to my garage.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 PM
flatsixfan23
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the opinions on interior. I turned my C5Z into track car, and didn't lose an ounce of sleep tearing out the OEM seats, carpet, and plastic dash, console, and door guts.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think my C5 z06 interior looks better now its a full race car

Last edited by z06801; 02-24-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:49 PM
Renn_Thrills
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these look pretty serious:
http://aviracing.com/gt1-corvette/
track built, tube frame, 2330 lbs... 60k!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:29 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

^ see post 416 in this thread

I agree
Old 03-15-2013, 11:53 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

The Callaway name is synonymous with truly unique Corvettes, with one only having to look at past creations, such as the Callaway C16 Speedster of 2007, for an idea of the types of masterpieces the company can come up with.

With the reveal of the new 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, it appears Callaway founder Reeves Callaway and his crew in Old Lyme, Connecticut just couldn’t help themselves from designing another stunning custom Corvette.

This time, Callaway has gone with a shooting brake bodystyle for the Corvette, which, if this early rendering is anything to go by, lends itself rather wheel to the lines of the latest C7 generation.

The shooting brake bodystyle, traditionally a coupe with the tail of a wagon, has undergone a strong resurgence of late, appearing on a number of concepts and product cars in the recent past.

We must admit that Callaway’s take on the design is particularly handsome and we hope the company ends up building one once it finally gets its hands on one of the new Corvettes.

Callaway says its Corvette Stingray shooting brake, dubbed the AeroWagon, will be produced if demand is sufficient. The company is currently taking orders for the vehicle and says the option should cost no more than $15,000.

The rear hatch will feature carbon fiber structural components developed using Callaway’s proprietary Resin Transfer Molding process, so it should be both lightweight and strong.

Callaway also says its AeroWagon will be capable of speeds in excess of 200 mph, though it’s not clear what drivetrain is required. The 2014 Corvette Stingray, which features a 6.2-liter V-8 engine rated at an estimated 450 horsepower, is unlikely to have a top speed above 200 mph, though future versions of the car certainly will.

We’ll bring you the first photos of Callaway’s new AeroWagon as soon as we get our hands on them. If production goes as plans, the first Callaway AeroWagons will be delivered by the fourth quarter of the year.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2013, 01:32 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

i cant see many 911 owners jumping ship to drive a new corvette. The time on track is one thing but the drive to get there is another.

Had i wanted a D.E weapon i would have a Viper ACR.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:44 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
With the reveal of the new 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, it appears Callaway founder Reeves Callaway and his crew in Old Lyme, Connecticut just couldn’t help themselves from designing another stunning custom Corvette.
What the hell, I never realized they were HQ'd in Old Lyme. That's 15 min from me. I always thought they were strictly CA. Haha, funny. Thanks for the education Peter. Cripes, just mapped it. They're like 2 min from my in-laws. Haha
Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

The Callaway name is synonymous with truly unique Corvettes, with one only having to look at past creations, such as the Callaway C16 Speedster of 2007, for an idea of the types of masterpieces the company can come up with.

This time, Callaway has gone with a shooting brake bodystyle for the Corvette, which, if this early rendering is anything to go by, lends itself rather wheel to the lines of the latest C7 generation.

The shooting brake bodystyle, traditionally a coupe with the tail of a wagon, has undergone a strong resurgence of late, appearing on a number of concepts and product cars in the recent past.

We must admit that Callaway’s take on the design is particularly handsome and we hope the company ends up building one once it finally gets its hands on one of the new Corvettes.

Callaway says its Corvette Stingray shooting brake, dubbed the AeroWagon, will be produced if demand is sufficient. The company is currently taking orders for the vehicle and says the option should cost no more than $15,000.

The rear hatch will feature carbon fiber structural components developed using Callaway’s proprietary Resin Transfer Molding process, so it should be both lightweight and strong.

Callaway also says its AeroWagon will be capable of speeds in excess of 200 mph, though it’s not clear what drivetrain is required. The 2014 Corvette Stingray, which features a 6.2-liter V-8 engine rated at an estimated 450 horsepower, is unlikely to have a top speed above 200 mph, though future versions of the car certainly will.

We’ll bring you the first photos of Callaway’s new AeroWagon as soon as we get our hands on them. If production goes as plans, the first Callaway AeroWagons will be delivered by the fourth quarter of the year.
The affordable FF ??
Old 03-15-2013, 02:37 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
The affordable FF ??
My thoughts as well.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Callaway’s new AeroWagon
I wonder if I could get my drums in the back of this? Hummm LOL
Old 03-15-2013, 07:52 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i cant see many 911 owners jumping ship to drive a new corvette..
most 911 owners? Since most never autox/DE their own Carreras I don't think they would jump ship even if a Stingray were nothing more than a blatantly rebranded Ferrari, in every way, at only $60K. Most of those buyers, ditto for the Panamera, are buying on image and perceived exclusivity. Which is all somwhat ironic, since the typical buyer of both a Stingray and a Carrera (mostly likely GT3) are probably in the minority of 911 owners who have done at least 1 autox/DE.

Also, this is the first Corvette front end unveiling where if you removed the Corvette emblem and swapped it for a Ferrari pony, it could actually fool quiet a few people. How long have people been saying "if only GM made a car that looked like a Ferrari"? Well they've got one aspect done now... This car can only get better. If track reliablity continues on its improved path this car could become a staple of every club event. Next thing you know the Stingray will be keeping its wheels and coolant pipes attached to the car even when driven in "an unusually aggressive manner". Crazy talk.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by perfectlap
most 911 owners? Since most never autox/DE their own Carreras I don't think they would jump ship even if a Stingray were nothing more than a blatantly rebranded Ferrari, in every way, at only $60K. Most of those buyers, ditto for the Panamera, are buying on image and perceived exclusivity. Which is all somwhat ironic, since the typical buyer of both a Stingray and a Carrera (mostly likely GT3) are probably in the minority of 911 owners who have done at least 1 autox/DE.

Also, this is the first Corvette front end unveiling where if you removed the Corvette emblem and swapped it for a Ferrari pony, it could actually fool quiet a few people. How long have people been saying "if only GM made a car that looked like a Ferrari"? Well they've got one aspect done now... This car can only get better. If track reliablity continues on its improved path this car could become a staple of every club event. Next thing you know the Stingray will be keeping its wheels and coolant pipes attached to the car even when driven in "an unusually aggressive manner". Crazy talk.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

I'm buying a C7 just to see if it will hold up.
Manual and all the right stuff. They did not get VW'ed.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:24 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Sweet! Look forward to hearing how that goes. Im either going to buy a C6Z and build the motor or get an 10 ACR.

Quick Reply: New Corvette...