Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 02:06 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
What’s with the vinyl siding
The following 5 users liked this post by Billy Wyatt:
mr965 (07-21-2019), n3rd (07-21-2019), Napoli (07-20-2019), Norge911 (07-20-2019), Outlaw (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 02:08 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
This is the 5th+ RL thread I found on the C8. It will be a game changer for any street/track car maker, including Porsche, and they will be sure to take notice. Something to be said about a new $70k, 500hp, mid-engine V8, DCT, height adjustable coilovers car with warranty that you can flog on the track, drive back home and take it to any Chevy dealer for maintenance at Chevy parts/labor cost.

A year from now, after they work out the kinks, they'll be $10k off msrp to order or new from the lot as GM will make a sh*t-ton of them -- all good stuff.

The ext/int design could have been less angular and better, but no one's perfect and I believe darker colors will moderate the angularity and the dark plastic contrasts. Fender gaps could be minimized by lowering the Z51 coilover suspension.
Agree. Mass produce them and get them cheap. Nothing at all wrong with that. Good for the end user who actually likes to drive. Bad for people who think a car will appreciate in value.
The following users liked this post:
2slow2speed (07-23-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 02:11 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart
You're probably right, and both cars will likely depreciate about the same dollar amount (even though in terms of percentage it is double). So for those waiting to get in to a 718 GT4 it might be worth considering the C8, as it takes a lot less money upfront, but don't be fooled by the "cheap" initial price, it will cost you about the same to own.

Bottom line, we all could have bought a C7 Z06 instead of a 981 GT4 already, since it was already significantly cheaper and faster than the GT4. So why didn't we do so? The real question here is, does the C8 change any of that? I suppose for some it could, now that it is a mid engine car and looks more Italian in styling. For me, I don't think it does.
I ruled out the z06 when I heard they go into limp mode after track use. They supposedly mitigated that but didn't solve it for the C7. That kind of thing is what worries me about the C8. I'm sure some smart guys will point out 3rd gear and strut tower issues. But the 981 can still track all day in summer heat without missing a beat.

The other concern I have is the bespoke tremec dual clutch.

Lastly - the ride height. One of the things I love about the Gt4 is how well it handles moon surface norcal back roads. I'm worried the C8's would scrape a lot since it's so low.

But honestly I love the look at the car and the value is hard to argue with. Is the porsche name / handling and quality worth another 40k? not sure
Old 07-20-2019, 02:13 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
Lets be real. I love my 911, but Porsches are overpriced and the quality is not all that much better . Bore scoring, IMS, water pumps, interior parts with crappy finishes that flake off or scratch, soft paint...etc. Lets compare a $130k 911 with a 65k Vette on all aspects collectively and objectively. That being said, we are paying for the exclusivity and panache that the 911 has over the Vette...the Porsche marketing machine knew what they were doing from the start.
You have a good point, as long as GM gets it mostly right on the production cars. The horsepower numbers are amazing, and anyone but the most accomplished track driver won't need more. It is a real uphill battle for GM to match the panache of Porsche, look how far Cadillac has fallen.
The following users liked this post:
handful (07-22-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 02:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Z51 will come with a rear mounted third radiator
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TEF
If it indeed the 2020 Corvette sells at $60K that's quite a bargain. Moreover, this forum, and reasonably so, relates every car to a Porsche. However, this new Corvette has to represent a major threat to manufacturers of all exotics and sports cars. If Porsche (and that's every model) looks expensive relative to a Corvette, imagine what Ferrari, Lamborghini and McClaren must be thinking. Moreover, the 0-60 figure is based on an ancient push rod engine. I recall reading that Chevy intends to introduce a line a overhead cam engines in the near future. Granted this will likely increase the Corvette's cost by maybe $20K (to $80K), but even at that price one now only gets a well-optioned four-cylinder Cayman.
Is the Vette priced to be a loss leader? Or is this one small step for GM, one giant leap for the industry.
JustSlummin'
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thanks all!

Removed

Last edited by JustSlummin'; 07-23-2019 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Threads consolidated (a good thing!)
Old 07-20-2019, 02:23 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

This car will change the mid engine environment.
They will sell for sure.
I bet all car builders will watch closely....Lamborghini/ferrari and porsche.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2006m5:
2slow2speed (07-23-2019), porschedood5000 (07-21-2019), robmypro (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 02:25 PM
nr981
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TEF
If it indeed the 2020 Corvette sells at $60K that's quite a bargain. Moreover, this forum, and reasonably so, relates every car to a Porsche. However, this new Corvette has to represent a major threat to manufacturers of all exotics and sports cars. If Porsche (and that's every model) looks expensive relative to a Corvette, imagine what Ferrari, Lamborghini and McClaren must be thinking. Moreover, the 0-60 figure is based on an ancient push rod engine. I recall reading that Chevy intends to introduce a line a overhead cam engines in the near future. Granted this will likely increase the Corvette's cost by maybe $20K (to $80K), but even at that price one now only gets a well-optioned four-cylinder Cayman.

I doubt there is much/any overlap in customers for exotics and customers for the Corvette (putting aside collectors and such). And most Porsche buyers don't buy based on horsepower/$$ or 0-60 specs, or we'd own Covettes, Camaros, or Mustangs.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinS
PORSCHE
All day, every day.
Very convincing
Old 07-20-2019, 02:32 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
A DOHC turbo high-end engine is rumored to be in the works, and also maybe a performance hybrid variant (rumors of >1000 total HP but who knows). I would not be surprised if the top performance spec posts 918 like numbers at a fraction of the price.
GM already has the engine (CT6-V) 550HP, all they they need to do is tune it.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:38 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
This car is cheaper than a base Cayman with a 4 cyl turbo. Simply amazing spec for the price, and naturally aspirated to boot. Only bummer for me is the dated pushrod V8, but can't have everything. Can't wait to see it in person and read a real review.
Base price is just a reasonable bit higher than base C7. $59,999.99 is under 60k When I reserved my spec I had to name a dealer so named the dealer less than 10 miles away. Just went in to talk about it with them. Guy who greeted me did not know what a 2020 C8 was. Called the GM on duty over and we talked a bit. Dealers know just a tiny bit more than we know was my take. Said they got a few phone calls and few emails on Friday but nothing serious. Told him I reserved one and named their dealership.
Totally new platform and sure to alienate many older Vette guys. But for damn sure it will bring in a younger generation of buyers.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by s4vant
i'm conflicted about the aesthetics, in kind of a love/hate kind of way. totally agree with the too angular, too high belt line, non-timeless design arguments regarding the exterior, and i'd like to see more timeless, softer lines too. but I realized i keep being drawn to the black outline on the leading edge of the intakes---in a bad way---and think that may be over exaggerating some of that "hard" design language. and then i came across this image, which although a render, makes me really want to see this car with the intake edges in matching exterior color:

Agreed. Less is more.

Maybe they will will simplify design in other iterations.

At this price point, you could have fun with the car without the need for perfection.

interesting facts here

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...paign=17442650
Old 07-20-2019, 02:41 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Cooling issues with the Z06 were the symptom of the real design mistake - going with a supercharger vs. a higher displacement and better tuned NA.

Just my $0.02. When they announced the C7 Z06, saw it pre-release at Daytona, I was pretty disappointed. It just didn't need to be done.

M
The S/C wasn’t the real issue. There simply isn’t enough cooling air going through the front of the Z06 given it’s 650hp, which is going to generate huge amounts of heat that has to be dissipated regardless of whether it was from a TT set-up or the chosen S/C.

Even with a limited ‘grill’ opening’, GM chose to stack three radiators together in the nose of the car; (the S/C heat exchanger; the A/C condenser and the regular engine coolant radiator), hence cooling was markedly compromised. Worst of all was tying the ‘oil cooler’ circuit into the water coolant system, and not having a large, dedicated air/oil cooler exposed to adequate airflow. The A8 versions were always the worst as the software was optimized to keep the engine at very high revs when driven in ‘D’ mode. You can drive the A8 for the average DE run session even in high ambient temps, but you have to drive it in ‘M’ mode and short-shift the car; hence being slower.

I might be interested in the Z06 version of the C8, if I can come to terms with the exterior styling; (I find it far too ‘busy’), but I sure won’t buy it the first year until reports of how well it does flat out on a road course are out there.

Bish
Old 07-20-2019, 02:48 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll reserve final judgement when I see it in person. Immediate reaction is, meh, with regard to all the angles. It remains a great value for the money.

A few key observations. Their track app is far ahead of Porsche and now 1080p. Heck, Porsche could create a similar in car camera and app charge $3k and many would likely check the box. The second thing is the push button drive selector. Simple and now becoming familiar without the aesthetically displeasing nubbin.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?