Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

0Q Pure White - journal

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 10:01 PM
fusionrace
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have just read your thread from start to finish and I am thoroughly thrilled at your build progress. I hope we can catch up sometime, I am not to far from you.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:23 PM
greggmorton
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
Running race headers without catalysts causes soot deposits at the rear, impossible to wash off with conventional cleaners, even when ceramic coated.
Spray on simple green and watch the brown residue slide off, no scrubbing needed.

Great pro-tip. Did this strip your ceramic coating?
Old 05-28-2020, 08:25 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by greggmorton
My understanding is that Simple Green is not friendly to aluminum. I use this instead.

Extreme Simple Green Extreme Simple Green

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/101e5920-06bd-420a-80b0-c5495c5b796a[/img]
Old 05-28-2020, 09:02 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by fusionrace
I have just read your thread from start to finish and I am thoroughly thrilled at your build progress. I hope we can catch up sometime, I am not to far from you.
Thanks, sounds good, send me a DM. :)

Originally Posted by greggmorton
No harm thanks, can still feel the coating running the back of my fingernail across the surface, and have used it multiple times on the coated wheels.

Originally Posted by Last_935
My understanding is that Simple Green is not friendly to aluminum. I use this instead.
Extreme Simple Green
Your link goes to ebay shower chairs for some reason, I cleaned it up above.
Took a look at the various simple green MSDSs and they're all pretty much the same, I'm assuming it's just marketing that they label it that way for different uses?
https://simplegreen.com/data-sheets/
Old 05-28-2020, 09:39 AM
greggmorton
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks, sounds good, send me a DM.

No harm thanks, can still feel the coating running the back of my fingernail across the surface, and have used it multiple times on the coated wheels.

Took a look at the various simple green MSDSs and they're all pretty much the same, I'm assuming it's just marketing that they label it that way for different uses?
Thanks again. Looking forward to giving this a try. Especially on my rear white license plate. It’s very discolored from the catless setup. I was on the verge of claiming I ‘damaged/lost’ my plate to get a new one sent to me.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:39 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks, sounds good, send me a DM.

Let's try it again after my morning cup of coffee. Here is what I was able to find on the Simple Green website regarding Aluminium.

https://simplegreen.com/faqs/15/

Aluminum — Is it safe to use Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner & Degreaser, and Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process.

Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner, Pro Series Simple Green Automotive Cleaner, and Simple Green Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.

Simple Green Stainless Steel One Step Cleaner & Polish is another option for cleaning polished aluminum. This product is designed for light duty metal cleaning and polishing.

https://simplegreen.com/industrial/p...ision-cleaner/

Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner

Extreme Simple Green Aircraft and Precision Cleaner's breakthrough formula cleans and degreases without corrosive chemicals. Its combined high soil capacity, superior grease-cutting ability and clean rinsing formula prevents redeposition of soils, ensuring fast, effective and high precision cleaning. The non-corrosive formula is safe for use on aluminum, carbon fiber, high tech alloys, structural metals, paints, protective coatings and more. It contains no reagents that oxidize finishes, cause rust within the fluid or degrade plastics making it ideal for maintaining structural metals, hoses, seals and factory finishes.
  • Cuts through tough soils
  • Contains no harmful chemicals
  • High soil capacity

Old 05-29-2020, 08:00 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

The FVD exhaust came in, weights 38.4 lbs, same as the PSE.
Pipes are 2 1/2" OD, not the advertised 2 3/4", but better than the stock 2 1/4" throughout.
Branding imprint on the tips has changed from when the pictures on the site were taken, and isn't that noticeable anymore.
I'm going to install it tomorrow unmodified, maybe the straight cut tips won't bother me.

The back fire damper is a simple expansion chamber with a short diffuser muffler end.

Half of the length of the muffler is perforated.

Last edited by d00d; 06-01-2020 at 12:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by d00d:
benben01 (05-30-2020), JCviggen (05-30-2020), weekndr.porsche (05-29-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 03:25 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 595 Posts

Looks exactly like my M&M exhaust, aside from the color of the piping and the actual tips (mine have clamps to make them exchangeable). Weight seems the same too, then.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:41 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Have a link to the M&M Jan?
Made for FVD, their logo is on the clamps, I would have preferred non welded tips.
Could only find one US importer, and in the picture they looked welded.
https://m-m-germany.de/wp-content/up...t_komplett.pdf
http://ultraperformance.net/product/...with-end-pipe/
Old 05-30-2020, 07:49 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Didn't make any good pics of my tips but Ehresmann posted some good ones on his FB:

Facebook Post

Old 05-30-2020, 08:02 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

That looks like the FVD race system, which also has clamp on tips, but without the current aero quip header connection.
Didn't know it was available that way.
https://www.fvd.net/us-en/RES9810000...ic-bypass.html
Old 05-30-2020, 09:24 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

My exhaust fits stock headers and I'm using a cargraphic set. I guess a full M&M/FVD system would probably be different as there's no need for compatibility with the stock bits.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:05 AM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You guys are going to make me spend more money....
Old 05-30-2020, 07:18 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Jan, did you order it from a website, and is it 2 3/4" OD?
I may be interested in trying that version.

That's what money is for Ben!

Took it for a drive and it's no louder than the PSE, but the sound is smoother and lower frequency, closer to a V8 which I prefer.
The sound will change as it carbons up, less pronounced burbles and bangs so far.
Tried to see the internals past the perforations with a borescope, but can't see beyond other layers of what appears to be thin perforated metal.
I think I'm liking the way the tips look, the chrome rings look good from behind, although thinner Ti rings might look better.

Last edited by d00d; 05-31-2020 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Tips were pointing down slightly, corrected.
The following users liked this post:
user1029 (05-31-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 07:33 PM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

So no valves on the new FVD setup and this is the link?

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9811500...e-dampers.html

Quick Reply: 0Q Pure White - journal