Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 11:53 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

Email from TR today said they expect to have fronts by third week of Aug. and rears by early Sept.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:11 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Email from TR today said they expect to have fronts by third week of Aug. and rears by early Sept.
Mootstradamus' prophecy of delayed RE71R in stock sizes for months may be coming true after all!
Old 08-07-2016, 10:51 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Joe you're and animal. Just watched the 1:39.2 at Laguna. Wow.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
Joe you're and animal. Just watched the 1:39.2 at Laguna. Wow.
Ha. Thanks. Only 0.2 seconds faster, but still knocking on the 1:38 door. According to the data, I lost 0.3 seconds and 5mph from hesitating through T1 because it seemed like the 911 race car was slowing down. It was tough to get open space to run a clean lap on this day because of all the traffic. Start watching the 3rd lap and you'll see what I'm talking about.

During the last session, I got to chase a former USTCC driver in his friend's GT4. I got to see where I was really deficient and how someone really drives the track well. He did 1:39 as well, but he had a passenger, and track conditions were slower at the end of the day. I was only doing 1:41 at this point. I'm pretty confident he can do 1:37 with no passenger and a morning cool session. Watch him use the entire track and not wimp out like I do when exiting a turn. I really need to work on this. Watch at 8:18 he drops 2 wheels off at the exit of 5, but keeps going without ever lifting and ever losing control.

A few things:
1) I moved my front bar from middle to soft. I couldn't really notice a difference. The car still understeers
2) I had DSC running this time, whereas last time I didn't. I am a few tenths faster, but I'm also used to the way the car drives now. On 9/9 I will have someone randomly remove the unit on me and see what happens.
3) I ran the RE71 after flipping them inside to outside. The tires still perform the same and I'm evening out the wear. By doing this I think I can get 5 days out of the tires instead of 3, which would be great.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:19 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier is this thread, however, I remember hearing that you like a lot of rear toe-in. Just in case no one else noticed it, apparently this is consistent with the Porsche factory recommended specs for the clubsport racecar.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9188...l#post13023948

The road car Porsche factory recommended specs:
10 arcminutes toe-in each side = 2 mm each side using whole tire diameter = 1.5 mm each side using 20 inch toe sticks on hub

The clubsport racecar Porsche factory recommended specs:
17 arcminutes toe-in each side = 3.4 mm each side using whole tire diameter = 2.5 mm each side using 20 inch toe sticks on hub
Old 08-14-2016, 09:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yargk
Not sure if it was mentioned earlier is this thread, however, I remember hearing that you like a lot of rear toe-in. Just in case no one else noticed it, apparently this is consistent with the Porsche factory recommended specs for the clubsport racecar.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9188...l#post13023948

The road car Porsche factory recommended specs:
10 arcminutes toe-in each side = 2 mm each side using whole tire diameter = 1.5 mm each side using 20 inch toe sticks on hub

The clubsport racecar Porsche factory recommended specs:
17 arcminutes toe-in each side = 3.4 mm each side using whole tire diameter = 2.5 mm each side using 20 inch toe sticks on hub
Good to know. Thanks for sharing that info. I've always run 6mm total rear toe in on all my cars (boxster spyder, gt3, and gt4). It keeps the car stable under braking and with cornering. My shop picked up the tip from Johannes Van Overbeek who likes a lot of rear toe in.

Last edited by orthojoe; 08-14-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,635 Likes on 759 Posts

I've always run 4 mm total toe in rear.
I've wondered what RWS has for effect.

You comment is logical to have it more stable under braking.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:45 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Rear Toe in fixes breaking instability. What are the downsides of toe in

The braking instability seems very uncomfortable mentally and makes downshift harder but all in all car seems fine. Its just me that suffers.

So I am wondering what the downsides are in other parts of the track?
Old 08-15-2016, 10:51 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MarcD147
Rear Toe in fixes breaking instability. What are the downsides of toe in

The braking instability seems very uncomfortable mentally and makes downshift harder but all in all car seems fine. Its just me that suffers.

So I am wondering what the downsides are in other parts of the track?
My guesses:
1) more drag when accelerating down a straight. Negligible
2) more outer edge wear. On the cup2 I never saw any, but I do get some with the re71r. Nowhere near as bad as the outer edge wear in the front.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:51 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 333 Posts

I ran at Sonoma yesterday after having the TPC offset toelinks and DSC module installed. I also had Tarett monoballs installed and the car aligned to TPC ¾ track specs with 1.5mm toe in at each of the rear wheels. (thanks to Tom Chan at TPC for the specs). While I am not near as fast as Joe I did get a new PB of 1:57, a second and a half better from my old time. I can say with certainty that this set up cured a lot of the car's twitchyness under hard braking and the car was more stable in the transitions (1-2, 3-3a and the esses). Money well spent AFAIC.

Last edited by RDCR; 08-27-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:58 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RDCR
I ran at Sonoma yesterday after having the TPC offset toelinks and DSC module installed. I also had Tarett monoballs installed and the car aligned to TPC ¾ track specs with 1.5mm toe at each of the rear wheels. (thanks to Tom Chan at TPC for the specs). While I am not near as fast as Joe I did get a new PB of 1:57, a second and a half better from my old time. I can say with certainty that this set up cured a lot of the car's twitchyness under hard braking and the car was more stable in the transitions (1-2, 3-3a and the esses). Money well spent AFAIC.
Congrats on the PB! I'm hoping to do some blind testing of the DSC unit on 9/9.
I'm headed to Sonoma tomorrow myself!
Old 08-27-2016, 12:08 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 333 Posts

Post video! One thing I felt helped me as well yesterday was short shifting into 4th after 7A which I picked up from watching your last Sonoma video.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:54 PM
cooperyau
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea what lap times are the gt4 clubsports running at Laguna?

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ha. Thanks. Only 0.2 seconds faster, but still knocking on the 1:38 door. According to the data, I lost 0.3 seconds and 5mph from hesitating through T1 because it seemed like the 911 race car was slowing down. It was tough to get open space to run a clean lap on this day because of all the traffic. Start watching the 3rd lap and you'll see what I'm talking about.

1:39.2 at Laguna Seca with the GT4 TMR/POC 8/6/16 - YouTube

During the last session, I got to chase a former USTCC driver in his friend's GT4. I got to see where I was really deficient and how someone really drives the track well. He did 1:39 as well, but he had a passenger, and track conditions were slower at the end of the day. I was only doing 1:41 at this point. I'm pretty confident he can do 1:37 with no passenger and a morning cool session. Watch him use the entire track and not wimp out like I do when exiting a turn. I really need to work on this. Watch at 8:18 he drops 2 wheels off at the exit of 5, but keeps going without ever lifting and ever losing control.

SeanGT4 - YouTube

A few things:
1) I moved my front bar from middle to soft. I couldn't really notice a difference. The car still understeers
2) I had DSC running this time, whereas last time I didn't. I am a few tenths faster, but I'm also used to the way the car drives now. On 9/9 I will have someone randomly remove the unit on me and see what happens.
3) I ran the RE71 after flipping them inside to outside. The tires still perform the same and I'm evening out the wear. By doing this I think I can get 5 days out of the tires instead of 3, which would be great.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:48 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RDCR
Post video! One thing I felt helped me as well yesterday was short shifting into 4th after 7A which I picked up from watching your last Sonoma video.
Will do! Glad to hear it's helpful

Originally Posted by cooperyau
Good question. Should be substantially faster given they are on racing slicks
Old 08-27-2016, 03:50 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cooperyau
1:35.3 in the hands of very very competent yet non pro drivers in race conditions

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings