Push, push, and push even more
narrow front tires are problems core.
Listen to me, and don't hate,
just find 2nd and rotate.
On the throttle, raise your nose,
Off the throttle, there she goes.
Rotate hard, now you can turn,
unwind and let her burn."
LOL. Wait until I post my video and data from Sonoma. You'll love the use of 2nd gear on that course

I think that the front end bites and turns in better in 2nd gear because the higher revs engine brake the car more, shifts the weight forward and does some 'natural' trail braking for you....?
Old 07-19-2016, 03:38 AM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
LOL. Wait until I post my video and data from Sonoma. You'll love the use of 2nd gear on that course

I think that the front end bites and turns in better in 2nd gear because the higher revs engine brake the car more, shifts the weight forward and does some 'natural' trail braking for you....?
I think it's easier to rotate in 2nd vs 3rd mainly due to being in higher rpm and torque range which helps to rotate the car.

where is sonoma video ?
Old 07-19-2016, 03:41 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by doba_s
where is sonoma video ?

Old 07-19-2016, 10:40 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by doba_s
I think it's easier to rotate in 2nd vs 3rd mainly due to being in higher rpm and torque range which helps to rotate the car.

where is sonoma video ?
Working on it. It was a Sunday event and now I've got a busy week at work. :-)
Old 07-19-2016, 10:54 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Old 07-21-2016, 01:12 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I was at Mid-Ohio with a friend in his GT4. I followed for about a lap and then passed him. He kept losing time at turn in at the end of the back straight and through Madness. Afterwards we compared what we were doing and he was using 3rd in those sections while I was used 2nd. The car does appear to turn in better in 2nd. My friend tried it in the next session and came back with the same observations. For Mid-Ohio and AMPs I like the gearing for 2nd.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:25 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Begs the question...what is the installed cost of a lower final drive ratio....
Old 07-22-2016, 11:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I have some new videos to post finally.

First one is another Thunderhill event on the 3 mile course. I was hoping to grab a new PB, but 100+ temps prevented that from happening. I did start using 2nd gear for T10 and T14 (not shown in this clip) and the car rotates much easier in 2nd

2 days later I took the car to Sonoma Raceway. Hoping for sub 1:50 times, I wasn't really happy with 1:51.0. I didn't deserve it, though. Too much hesitation in corners where I should be putting down more power. Leaving way too much room at the exit of turns. I need more practice and confidence at this track.

Look for the LO and voodoo blue 991RS at the end. Props to those guys for at least taking the car to the track. Took advantage of 2nd gear going into T2 and T4. 2nd gear FTW.

Data overlay of a 1:52.5 in my 987 boxster spyder (red) vs. 1:51.0 in my GT4 (blue). It doesn't look like I'm taking advantage of the power in the car much. I'm short shifting too much (although I did in the spyder as well).

Old 07-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I have some new videos to post finally.

First one is another Thunderhill event on the 3 mile course. I was hoping to grab a new PB, but 100+ temps prevented that from happening. I did start using 2nd gear for T10 and T14 (not shown in this clip) and the car rotates much easier in 2nd

Thunderhill in GT4 again - YouTube

2 days later I took the car to Sonoma Raceway. Hoping for sub 1:50 times, I wasn't really happy with 1:51.0. I didn't deserve it, though. Too much hesitation in corners where I should be putting down more power. Leaving way too much room at the exit of turns. I need more practice and confidence at this track.

Look for the LO and voodoo blue 991RS at the end. Props to those guys for at least taking the car to the track. Took advantage of 2nd gear going into T2 and T4. 2nd gear FTW.
GT4 at Sonoma Raceway - YouTube

Data overlay of a 1:52.5 in my 987 boxster spyder (red) vs. 1:51.0 in my GT4 (blue). It doesn't look like I'm taking advantage of the power in the car much. I'm short shifting too much (although I did in the spyder as well).

Nice laps, Joe! Your transition from brake to gas input is super quick and smooth. Are you running with ESC/TC off?
Old 07-23-2016, 12:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Eric5280
Nice laps, Joe! Your transition from brake to gas input is super quick and smooth. Are you running with ESC/TC off?
Thanks, man. I run with ESC and TC on.

I'm going to get on my soap box a bit here because it's a controversial and dividing issue for some. I know people who scoff at anyone who leaves it on and disregards them as a driver completely. I know people who used to hate ESC but now leave it on because the system works so well. The fastest lap done at thunderhill (1:58.2) in a GT4 by one of the best drivers in the area was done with ESC on. Nobody has beaten that time.

I leave it on because it's a safety net for me and allows me to probe the limits of the car more easily without having to rely on something imperfect (me) to save things if things go south. I remember mistakenly running over a wet berm on the entry for T10 at sonoma once with my GT3. The car started to violently break loose, but ESC saved it. Losing control of the car at that turn usually ends up with a totaled car. The 'proud' ESC off driver might have saved it and thumped his chest afterwards. However, he might not have been able to and ended up with a balled up car. The ESC off zealot will tell me that I'm not good enough to drive a fast car and should be driving a cheap/slow car that I can afford to ball up. However, he forgets that even the best drivers in the world have lost cars (rohl crashed a 918 not too long ago). I'd rather keep my car than get the chance to thump my chest.

Sorry for the rant. Had to get that off my chest after shots were fired over my bow by someone recently (not here).
Old 07-23-2016, 01:30 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Your thread is definitely inspiring!

I love the videos. Keep em coming!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings