Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 01:40 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 348 Posts

I have a similar Sonoma story at the exit of 8A a GT3 blew a coolant line and dropped coolant all over the track. I unknowingly hit that, the car got all floaty feeling, the TC light flashing, but the car stayed straight and as I started the slight turn into 9 I was somewhat back in control. Before the caution went out, another driver who maybe 100 yds behind me told me he spun right off track when he hit it. He told me "I saw you go through there normally and didn't have a clue it was there".
Old 07-23-2016, 01:51 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
I have a similar Sonoma story at the exit of 8A a GT3 blew a coolant line and dropped coolant all over the track. I unknowingly hit that, the car got all floaty feeling, the TC light flashing, but the car stayed straight and as I started the slight turn into 9 I was somewhat back in control. Before the caution went out, another driver who maybe 100 yds behind me told me he spun right off track when he hit it. He told me "I saw you go through there normally and didn't have a clue it was there".
Yup. You can't control what happens with the car in front of you either. I'll take whatever help I can get in those situations. I'm not foolish enough to think pure skill alone can save you in those situations.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:58 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a mere mortal thus I keep my drivers aid on!
Good for those that can turn them off!
Old 07-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks, man. I run with ESC and TC on.

I'm going to get on my soap box a bit here because it's a controversial and dividing issue for some. I know people who scoff at anyone who leaves it on and disregards them as a driver completely. I know people who used to hate ESC but now leave it on because the system works so well. The fastest lap done at thunderhill (1:58.2) in a GT4 by one of the best drivers in the area was done with ESC on. Nobody has beaten that time.

I leave it on because it's a safety net for me and allows me to probe the limits of the car more easily without having to rely on something imperfect (me) to save things if things go south. I remember mistakenly running over a wet berm on the entry for T10 at sonoma once with my GT3. The car started to violently break loose, but ESC saved it. Losing control of the car at that turn usually ends up with a totaled car. The 'proud' ESC off driver might have saved it and thumped his chest afterwards. However, he might not have been able to and ended up with a balled up car. The ESC off zealot will tell me that I'm not good enough to drive a fast car and should be driving a cheap/slow car that I can afford to ball up. However, he forgets that even the best drivers in the world have lost cars (rohl crashed a 918 not too long ago). I'd rather keep my car than get the chance to thump my chest.

Sorry for the rant. Had to get that off my chest after shots were fired over my bow by someone recently (not here).
Makes sense. I saw just a couple very brief areas where the data was reading a touch of brake under throttle. I figured it was ESC unless you were doing some really trick left foot corner exit braking, haha. Judging by how little intervention there was, that speaks volumes about how smooth you are, great job!!! I have played with it on and off, but at my home track we have huge runoffs and only 1 or two walls that are a concern. Technically, my fastest lap is with it on by a couple tenths, but I do find myself driving a little heavy footed. With it off, I am smoother. That said, your points are valid and I would never scoff at anyone for leaving all aids on. They are the best systems I have seen and give the driver plenty of room to drive the car. Thanks for sharing the video footage, good stuff.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Eric5280
Makes sense. I saw just a couple very brief areas where the data was reading a touch of brake under throttle. I figured it was ESC unless you were doing some really trick left foot corner exit braking, haha. Judging by how little intervention there was, that speaks volumes about how smooth you are, great job!!! I have played with it on and off, but at my home track we have huge runoffs and only 1 or two walls that are a concern. Technically, my fastest lap is with it on by a couple tenths, but I do find myself driving a little heavy footed. With it off, I am smoother. That said, your points are valid and I would never scoff at anyone for leaving all aids on. They are the best systems I have seen and give the driver plenty of room to drive the car. Thanks for sharing the video footage, good stuff.
Yup. The data does show some areas of slight intervention with brakes even though the lights are not flashing on the dash. No throttle cut that I can see on the data or feel unless I really screwed up. I'm definitely not doing any left foot braking. Lol.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Yup. The data does show some areas of slight intervention with brakes even though the lights are not flashing on the dash. No throttle cut that I can see on the data or feel unless I really screwed up. I'm definitely not doing any left foot braking. Lol.
Rally style!
Old 07-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Yeah, CAN now shows any input at all on the AIM data, found that out recently. Mine was more than "slight" a few times, haha.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:10 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Yeah, CAN now shows any input at all on the AIM data, found that out recently. Mine was more than "slight" a few times, haha.
Hmm maybe there is another channel that is brake pedal input pressure only?
Old 07-23-2016, 04:14 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
There are 4 brake channels, but only one that gives out any data using aim
Old 07-23-2016, 04:16 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Maybe, it did take the wind out of my sails a little since it was my fastest lap and showed helpers helping. But, Joe has good points and nothing to be ashamed of, not to mention his laps you can't really even tell which is the goal. If it intervened, just means I have something to work on. If you cover it up, you may not know.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:27 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Maybe, it did take the wind out of my sails a little since it was my fastest lap and showed helpers helping. But, Joe has good points and nothing to be ashamed of, not to mention his laps you can't really even tell which is the goal. If it intervened, just means I have something to work on. If you cover it up, you may not know.
The advantage of turning everything off is that if you're good, you can maintain the momentum through a corner and lose little if any time if the car breaks loose. With esc on, you will lose more momentum when the car breaks away and end up slower. However, fastest is still smooth, which is why I haven't seen faster laps with the system off.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

The advantage of turning everything off is that if you're good, you can maintain the momentum through a corner and lose little if any time if the car breaks loose. With esc on, you will lose more momentum when the car breaks away and end up slower. However, fastest is still smooth, which is why I haven't seen faster laps with the system off.
Good point!
Old 07-23-2016, 05:04 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it little small brake traces you see from you CAN data in turns? I can see these but know my light is not blinking and cannot feel any difference either on or off, but with off there is none of these "brake blips". I also can not feel the car behave any different either on or off, unless, as you say, I mess it up, in which case I know about it.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:12 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leong72
I was told that the latest software version was for cars with the offset rear toe links. May or may not be the version you're using......
Just to update, this indeed turned out the be the case. DSC incorrectly labeled the file on their site. It is now corrected with both files for standard GT4 and GT4 with their links. Just a heads up to those of you with DSC, make sure you grab the right file. Great customer service from them, as always.

Hoping to get back out on track next week and see if this corrects my issue.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Is it little small brake traces you see from you CAN data in turns? I can see these but know my light is not blinking and cannot feel any difference either on or off, but with off there is none of these "brake blips". I also can not feel the car behave any different either on or off, unless, as you say, I mess it up, in which case I know about it.
Yes, the system makes minor inputs for stability even though you may not feel them.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings