Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sub'd
Old 07-30-2016, 01:52 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jslee225
Based on my experience you'll be lucky to get 4 days at Cota if you are driving HARD with lots of sessions. If I was going for a PB I would probably switch after 2 days. Regardless it's a great ride and would pick it over cup 2 any day.

FYI... I always have these heat cycled by tirerack. Im hoping it helps since I've read that is what all the cool kids do. Im on my 3rd set with only 10 total track days. Maybe I need to switch to the new 700/set kumho
I don't time my laps, except that one time at CotA where a passenger timed me on a random lap that I mentioned in the track times thread. But even if I did, I don't see myself being willing to replace a set of tires after 2 track days even if these were to cost half what the Cup 2s do. I guess I'll just have to see how these tires do for me. They're clearly worth the experiment, and if I don't like them then at least they won't be around for very long!
Old 07-30-2016, 01:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
I don't time my laps, except that one time at CotA where a passenger timed me on a random lap that I mentioned in the track times thread. But even if I did, I don't see myself being willing to replace a set of tires after 2 track days even if these were to cost half what the Cup 2s do. I guess I'll just have to see how these tires do for me. They're clearly worth the experiment, and if I don't like them then at least they won't be around for very long!
Trust me on this. However long the cup2s last for you is how long the re71r will last as well

Cup2 and re71r front tires only last 3 days for me, but could get 4-5 if I can get the tires to wear evenly
Old 07-30-2016, 01:55 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

This is perfect timing. With my grandma track and canyon drives the front Cup 2's will be ready for replacement after my next track day. Car has 4K mile + 4 track days (one open track day/ 3 others were regular 4 session, uncounted back road drives maybe 20ish+?)
Old 07-30-2016, 02:05 PM
jslee225
Racer

If you don't time your laps how are you measuring your development? Your approach to not timing is the same way I treat playing golf!
Old 07-30-2016, 03:20 PM
jphughan
Drifting

If you don't time your laps how are you measuring your development? Your approach to not timing is the same way I treat playing golf!
And do you still enjoy playing golf? I still enjoy running around the track.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:23 PM
jslee225
Racer

And do you still enjoy playing golf? I still enjoy running around the track.
Nope I don't. They don't call me angry Korean for nothing
Old 07-30-2016, 03:33 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Nope I don't. They don't call me angry Korean for nothing
Ha! Ok, well in my case it's a calculated decision. Yes, I'm well aware that I'm sacrificing some rate of progress and very likely some ultimate skill level by not timing laps and logging data. But I'm also cognizant of the fact that the knowledge that one's laps are being timed changes one's decision making, and not always for the better. I remember reading an article about the Nurburgring where the cops said that when they have to go retrieve a wreck, 80% of the time the driver had a timer of some sort running. I suspect that's why even when regular insurance policies tended to cover track driving, they still excluded "timed or competitive" events; they know perfectly well the effects of those factors. I have an insurance policy with similar language, so technically I wouldn't have coverage if I were to time myself, nor do I want to spend ~$3500/yr on independent track insurance. Yes I know insurance would never know if I were timing myself, but personal integrity is important to me, and again, I'd just as soon not elevate my risk of crashing in the first place.

My bottom line is that when I'm at the track, my main priorities are to have a good time, help others learn to drive on a track, and bring my car home intact. Of course driving on a track at all creates a risk that my car won't come home intact, but everyone has to draw their acceptable risk for rewards gained line somewhere.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:09 PM
jslee225
Racer

Ha! Ok, well in my case it's a calculated decision. Yes, I'm well aware that I'm sacrificing some rate of progress and very likely some ultimate skill level by not timing laps and logging data. But I'm also cognizant of the fact that the knowledge that one's laps are being timed changes one's decision making, and not always for the better. I remember reading an article about the Nurburgring where the cops said that when they have to go retrieve a wreck, 80% of the time the driver had a timer of some sort running. I suspect that's why even when regular insurance policies tended to cover track driving, they still excluded "timed or competitive" events; they know perfectly well the effects of those factors. I have an insurance policy with similar language, so technically I wouldn't have coverage if I were to time myself, nor do I want to spend ~$3500/yr on independent track insurance. Yes I know insurance would never know if I were timing myself, but personal integrity is important to me, and again, I'd just as soon not elevate my risk of crashing in the first place.

My bottom line is that when I'm at the track, my main priorities are to have a good time, help others learn to drive on a track, and bring my car home intact. Of course driving on a track at all creates a risk that my car won't come home intact, but everyone has to draw their acceptable risk for rewards gained line somewhere.
You and I are going to get along just fine
Old 07-30-2016, 05:29 PM
iyee318
Advanced

Ha! Ok, well in my case it's a calculated decision. Yes, I'm well aware that I'm sacrificing some rate of progress and very likely some ultimate skill level by not timing laps and logging data. But I'm also cognizant of the fact that the knowledge that one's laps are being timed changes one's decision making, and not always for the better. I remember reading an article about the Nurburgring where the cops said that when they have to go retrieve a wreck, 80% of the time the driver had a timer of some sort running. I suspect that's why even when regular insurance policies tended to cover track driving, they still excluded "timed or competitive" events; they know perfectly well the effects of those factors. I have an insurance policy with similar language, so technically I wouldn't have coverage if I were to time myself, nor do I want to spend ~$3500/yr on independent track insurance. Yes I know insurance would never know if I were timing myself, but personal integrity is important to me, and again, I'd just as soon not elevate my risk of crashing in the first place. My bottom line is that when I'm at the track, my main priorities are to have a good time, help others learn to drive on a track, and bring my car home intact. Of course driving on a track at all creates a risk that my car won't come home intact, but everyone has to draw their acceptable risk for rewards gained line somewhere.

Well said. Agree with this 10000 percent.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Damon. Are they making a 305/30-20 for 991.1 GT3/911R and potentially 991.2 GT3 owners?
Old 08-03-2016, 04:49 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
No oem gt3 size? I'll have to try the 295 on the gt3 then....
The GT3 uses a 12" wheel. The 295 is rated to an 11" wheel. 295 is a bit skinny.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:58 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Damon. Are they making a 305/30-20 for 991.1 GT3/911R and potentially 991.2 GT3 owners?
I checked with Bridgestone on this size, and there is nothing in planning at this time.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Damon. That's s Shame. It's a bigger market with 3300 991.1 GT3 (many used in track), 900 X 911R (probably few will be used in track) and the up coming 991.2 GT3 (assumes same width) of which in sure they will make closer to 5000 units...
Old 08-03-2016, 05:31 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks Damon. That's s Shame. It's a bigger market with 3300 991.1 GT3 (many used in track), 900 X 911R (probably few will be used in track) and the up coming 991.2 GT3 (assumes same width) of which in sure they will make closer to 5000 units...
+1, Might be worth mentioning to Bridgestone, Damon.

Quick Reply: OEM 20" GT4 Bridgestone RE-71R status