Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,634 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Hi Joe, I had a couple questions about your rear toe links while I wait for my car.

1. (this might be obvious) It looks like the rear toe link attaches directly to the wheel carrier (is that what it's called?), so would I be correct in saying that interference between the toe link end and a 19 inch wheel should NOT be camber dependent, because they move together with different camber settings?

2. Do you think there is any more room with the Tarett link? It looks slightly rounder and lower profile. 1 mm would be important to me, since I'm OCD about offsets.

Thanks!

(keep us posted about the front tie-rods too!)
1. yes
2. he is on tarett links

the clearance issue is not with the wheel however.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:22 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

the clearance issue is not with the wheel however.
Yup, just reminded me of the other issue. Looking forward to the tech session btw!

Originally Posted by mooty
2. he is on tarett links
Yes, compared to pictures from others with OE links, it seems like the Taretts give a tiny bit more clearance though, am I crazy?
Old 05-03-2016, 10:01 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Yes, compared to pictures from others with OE links, it seems like the Taretts give a tiny bit more clearance though, am I crazy?
Nope. Tarett designed their latest version of their links (called rear toe control arms) specifically to accommodate a 19" wheel; Porsche had no such consideration given OEM wheel diameter.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:41 AM
C-gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on mpsc and the re71s how does street driven miles effect track heat cycles?
i have dedicated sets of mpsc wheels for track and super sport street wheels for casual driving.
but back to heat cycles how does this relate and effect the tire.
if i drive for a half hour on the mpsc on the street -is that considered a heat cycle and am i shortening the tire out of track life?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:29 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C-gt3
on mpsc and the re71s how does street driven miles effect track heat cycles?
i have dedicated sets of mpsc wheels for track and super sport street wheels for casual driving.
but back to heat cycles how does this relate and effect the tire.
if i drive for a half hour on the mpsc on the street -is that considered a heat cycle and am i shortening the tire out of track life?
Street driving will rarely get up to a temp that's considered a heat cycle. It's possible, of course, in very hot areas and long drives, but it would be rare. The heat cycle consideration really comes from the cooling down of the tires where with each cooling they loose the elasticity and get "harder".
Old 05-06-2016, 01:06 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Think of caving in and getting a set of OZ leggera HLT in 19" so I can run RE71R. These cup2s just don't last long enough and cost too much.

My only concerns are OZ rear wheels don't come in 10.5". Only 10" or 11". 11" will require a spacer. 10" is a full 1" more narrow than stock and the tires will be more narrow than stock as well. Am I going to feel a negative affect? Is running 11" with spacers just a hassle with no benefit? I don't want to spend $$$$ on forged wheels since that essentially negates any cost savings on cup2 tires.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Once the 5mm spacer is bolted to the wheel hub...what's the hassle? It's like it's not even there when taking the rims on and off.

Or get the shorter tarret arm and you can run with no spacer(or maybe you already have the arm?)

5mm spacer set plus longer lug bolts $110 shipped from ECS tuning:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-20...ers/ES2702485/

Tarret arms, $500 each plus install plus alignment...

Either way I say get the 11" wheel. Without spacer it's the exact same offset and width as stock 20" plus allows you more choice in tires if you decide to use something other than the 285 wide RE71R
Old 05-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Joe - the RE71-R tires are smaller 245/40/19 and 285/35/19, so they fit the OZ wheels perfectly.
I noticed no negative effect. However, I'm likely slower than you are, so who knows. From what I've read, no one has negative comments.

The Bridgestones don't last any longer, but they are 1/2 the cost. According to USC Trojan, they aren't slower either. Can't comment on that, my Cup II's are in a storage locker with 200 street miles on them. I saw the price difference early!
Old 05-06-2016, 01:20 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn it. I was worried that we would get to this point and given that you have the experience in testing and the patience you have towards not making knee jerk changes...this means we all need to reconsider stock. ugh.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:21 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Think of caving in and getting a set of OZ leggera HLT in 19" so I can run RE71R. These cup2s just don't last long enough and cost too much.

My only concerns are OZ rear wheels don't come in 10.5". Only 10" or 11". 11" will require a spacer. 10" is a full 1" more narrow than stock and the tires will be more narrow than stock as well. Am I going to feel a negative affect? Is running 11" with spacers just a hassle with no benefit? I don't want to spend $$$$ on forged wheels since that essentially negates any cost savings on cup2 tires.
I think you will be more than pleased with the 19 x 10 OZ and 285 RE71R. Check out my thread for more impressions and track vid. The RE71Rs are legit!! Half as much as cup2s, more grip, more communicative, dont get greasy, and more even wear.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:27 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
The Bridgestones don't last any longer, but they are 1/2 the cost.
That's what I'm reading too about longevity. I knew I shouldn't expect GT4 tires to last as long as what I was used to, but I wasn't counting on only 1/3 of the lifespan. I'm not ready to cave and get wheels yet for a few different reasons, but if the data about RE-71Rs gripping as well or better in the dry and better in the wet while lasting as long and costing half as much are true, I only see three possible outcomes here:

1. The Cup 2s get a lot cheaper. Maybe not matching the RE-71R since Michelin arguably has more brand equity and has the "OE Equipment" designation, but the current price gap just doesn't make sense.

2. The Cup 2s get replaced with Cup 3s. They've been around for a while now, after all, although considering how many variants there are I'm amazed that all of these tires are allowed to go by the same name. The Bugatti Chiron uses Cup 2s as well, but I'm pretty sure they're significantly different from what's used elsewhere.

3. The RE-71Rs get a lot more expensive soon. I'm curious to see what they'll cost in GT4 OEM sizes. The N-spec Cup 2s cost a lot more than the other variants in the same sizes (although oddly the GT4 N-spec rear is more than the GT3 N-spec rear....), but hopefully this isn't the way the market goes.

I rode in a friend's M4 who had just gotten RE-71Rs and the only thing I heard was an occasional sucking noise starting around 60 MPH, which I recall Tire Rack mentioning as well, but the owner said it had already gotten less frequent than it was when they were first fitted, so maybe it's a break-in thing.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:49 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Once the 5mm spacer is bolted to the wheel hub...what's the hassle? It's like it's not even there when taking the rims on and off.

Or get the shorter tarret arm and you can run with no spacer(or maybe you already have the arm?)

5mm spacer set plus longer lug bolts $110 shipped from ECS tuning:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-20...ers/ES2702485/

Tarret arms, $500 each plus install plus alignment...

Either way I say get the 11" wheel. Without spacer it's the exact same offset and width as stock 20" plus allows you more choice in tires if you decide to use something other than the 285 wide RE71R
What shorter tarret arm are we talking about? I have the tarret rear toe links.

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Joe - the RE71-R tires are smaller 245/40/19 and 285/35/19, so they fit the OZ wheels perfectly.
I noticed no negative effect. However, I'm likely slower than you are, so who knows. From what I've read, no one has negative comments.

The Bridgestones don't last any longer, but they are 1/2 the cost. According to USC Trojan, they aren't slower either. Can't comment on that, my Cup II's are in a storage locker with 200 street miles on them. I saw the price difference early!
Thanks, man. 1/2 the cost is huge even if the wear rate is the same!

Originally Posted by katmeho
Damn it. I was worried that we would get to this point and given that you have the experience in testing and the patience you have towards not making knee jerk changes...this means we all need to reconsider stock. ugh.
LOL! I have 3 sets of cup2 stockpiled too. I just don't like what I'm seeing with wear and cost, and the re71r have such rave reviews

Originally Posted by electron mike
I think you will be more than pleased with the 19 x 10 OZ and 285 RE71R. Check out my thread for more impressions and track vid. The RE71Rs are legit!! Half as much as cup2s, more grip, more communicative, dont get greasy, and more even wear.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by jphughan
That's what I'm reading too about longevity. I knew I shouldn't expect GT4 tires to last as long as what I was used to, but I wasn't counting on only 1/3 of the lifespan. I'm not ready to cave and get wheels yet for a few different reasons, but if the data about RE-71Rs gripping as well or better in the dry and better in the wet while lasting as long and costing half as much are true, I only see three possible outcomes here:

1. The Cup 2s get a lot cheaper. Maybe not matching the RE-71R since Michelin arguably has more brand equity and has the "OE Equipment" designation, but the current price gap just doesn't make sense.

2. The Cup 2s get replaced with Cup 3s. They've been around for a while now, after all, although considering how many variants there are I'm amazed that all of these tires are allowed to go by the same name. The Bugatti Chiron uses Cup 2s as well, but I'm pretty sure they're significantly different from what's used elsewhere.

3. The RE-71Rs get a lot more expensive soon. I'm curious to see what they'll cost in GT4 OEM sizes. The N-spec Cup 2s cost a lot more than the other variants in the same sizes (although oddly the GT4 N-spec rear is more than the GT3 N-spec rear....), but hopefully this isn't the way the market goes.

I rode in a friend's M4 who had just gotten RE-71Rs and the only thing I heard was an occasional sucking noise starting around 60 MPH, which I recall Tire Rack mentioning as well, but the owner said it had already gotten less frequent than it was when they were first fitted, so maybe it's a break-in thing.
I doubt the cup2 will get cheaper. Michelin has always been the most expensive brand. I do wonder how much re71r in oem size will cost...
Old 05-06-2016, 01:55 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What shorter tarret arm are we talking about? I have the tarret rear toe links.
Sounds like you might have to run the space, and maybe even a 7mm spacer at that based on the info 9972RS gave me. He confirmed 19x11" working with the older toe link and NO spacer.

The older tarett rear toe link. it's listed as "toe link all 981". Part# ERP981.009

Do not get the "newer" 981tlnk. it has less clearance than oem.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:59 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Joe, 295 hoosiers fit just fine on the 10" rim and in fact rub a little bit with -2.25 camber (see here https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9266...-on-gt4-7.html starting at post 101). I don't think you can use a wider tire, even with a wider rim and I don't think there is such excessive sidewall bulge on the 10" rim.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:12 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
3. I'm curious to see what they'll cost in GT4 OEM sizes.
I do wonder how much re71r in oem size will cost...

Here are the #s I got from The Tirerack:

$279.06 F & $358.70 R plus S/H ($1275.52 + S/H) in OEM 20" sizes

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings