GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Australian GT4s

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016 | 05:12 AM
IMOA
Instructor

For the run-in I followed the Weissach method which is basically what I've done with all my non racecars. A friend of mine did his thesis on running in engines and the basic gist of it was if it's a racecar then beat on it hard fairly early but if it's a keeper then the weissach method tends to be the best. The reason for this is the beat on it hard method loosens the engine up quicker giving you a bit more power early but will create a lot of peaks and troughs in wear components and over time the peaks break off leaving everything a bit looser. On a race engine this doesn't matter as it will be rebuilt regularly but on a street engine a bit of extra power early on is a poor trade off for a relatively lazy engine for most of it's life. I've had this view corroborated by an oil engineer we used to work with who did a lot of controlled bench testing and by pretty mucheveryone who is talking from an analytical testing based perspective rather than 'woohoo, just rip some skids' perspective.

Certainly the 'official' porsche approach appears to be somewhat excessive but there is a middle ground which makes a lot of sense.
Old 07-14-2016 | 05:29 AM
Snowman.
Instructor

LOL - I did my first track day at Sandown with 55kms on the clock.

All I had done is drive it from the dealer to home and then from home to Sandown.

That said I "only" revved it to 6,500rpm that first day.
Old 07-14-2016 | 06:24 AM
Quack
Instructor

Interestingly, I followed Ducati's break in directions for my 2008 1098R. When I modded my 1098R the same as another customer who had tracked his same year 1098R from the beginning with no run in and with the same mods we made peak 175rwhp vs 177rwhp...

My dealership said sure he has 2 more peak HP, but my engine will last longer than his and give more consistent HP than his bike over time.

Horses for courses. That said I'll probably follow the AP method to run in, which to me makes sense.
Old 07-14-2016 | 07:13 AM
Snowman.
Instructor

That's because none of you have heard the car at 7,800rpm from the drivers seat

The car only comes alive fully at 5,000rpm. You'll wonder what the fuss is all about if you take too long to find out.
Old 07-14-2016 | 07:50 AM
Quack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Snowman.
That's because none of you have heard the car at 7,800rpm from the drivers seat

The car only comes alive fully at 5,000rpm. You'll wonder what the fuss is all about if you take too long to find out.

Agree I won't fully know until I rev my GT4 out to redline. Just so unsure about break-in. I didn't bother with my A45 and it drives great now. I'm not sure what to do
Old 07-14-2016 | 08:56 AM
O5C4R
Racer

great info guys whenever i get mine i'll try the weissach for about 500kays max
Old 07-14-2016 | 07:30 PM
cp993
Advanced

I followed AP's advice. Car has 3800km on it now.....
Old 07-15-2016 | 01:48 AM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James88
This Sunday the 17th is looking like a cracker of a day.
I'll be arranging a drive through some really nice twisty roads and breaky, already have a few cars coming.
Only have room for 2 or 3 more cars, first in best dressed.

Meet at 7am in the Eastern suburbs and return around 11 ~ 11.30am , I'll pm address on request.
Bumping your post James88... weather forecast for Sunday looks great... are many Melbourne folks getting their GT4s out for this? Pics or it didn't happen!
Old 07-15-2016 | 03:13 AM
Snowman.
Instructor

Sadly I can't make it with Jim this weekend. Hopefully I'll get to catch up with him soon.

Jim - Mark tells me you were at Sandown last weekend too for a visit.

Anyways - OT - following on from Brads post a week or so ago a few of us have decided to get some of the Cargraphic headers. I've arranged a discounted price through a local supplier (10% off rrp) since there is a few of us getting some.

If anyone else is interested in getting in on this let me know and I'll send you the details.
Old 07-15-2016 | 03:23 AM
IMOA
Instructor

Yeah, I shouldn't but if I'd be interested in seeing the details
Old 07-15-2016 | 04:02 AM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

^^^ oh yeah... what he said

interesting the guys in the States got 15% off CG sports headers... dunno what numbers would do this down under tho. Just saying: https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9342...l#post13301524
Old 07-15-2016 | 05:05 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DR1VEN
Bumping your post James88... weather forecast for Sunday looks great... are many Melbourne folks getting their GT4s out for this? Pics or it didn't happen!
Thanks
We've got about 8 cars confirmed with maybe Brad in his GT4.
There is also a 991 GT3RS coming along with Cayman GTS, '16 Boxter Spyder 3.8litre, Audi R8, Maserati, AMG C63. I'll post some pics.

Originally Posted by DR1VEN
^^^ oh yeah... what he said

interesting the guys in the States got 15% off CG sports headers... dunno what numbers would do this down under tho. Just saying: https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9342...l#post13301524
Very interesting, 15% is nothing to sneeze at, I'll have a talk to Alvin whos arranging the bulk buying and installation.

Sadly I can't make it with Jim this weekend. Hopefully I'll get to catch up with him soon.

Jim - Mark tells me you were at Sandown last weekend too for a visit.

Anyways - OT - following on from Brads post a week or so ago a few of us have decided to get some of the Cargraphic headers. I've arranged a discounted price through a local supplier (10% off rrp) since there is a few of us getting some.

If anyone else is interested in getting in on this let me know and I'll send you the details.
Yes next time Andrew, look after those boys

Yes I was there for a sticky beak, oil on the track early on, I heard the GT4 did very well, he did tell me but I'm bad with names, is the GT4 owners name Mark is it?
Old 07-15-2016 | 05:33 AM
Snowman.
Instructor

Yeah that was Mark (one of the guys getting headers). His car came the same time as Bardmans. (PCM)

I know the US deal was for 15% - but that was for far more numbers than Alvin has. (Currently 4 of us). That all said the price by the time it is landed here is about 15% less than Evolve quoted.
Old 07-15-2016 | 07:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Interesting post regards 283 cars will be delivered to Australia & New Zealand...

I have heard NZ number will end up being circa 30 (Leong 72 says 25 so let's cut the difference at 28). I know if three owners awaiting cars between July and October. One of those owners only received his allocation finally in May when a new wave of allocations was made available.

That would leave 250 odd for delivery in Australia. This seems high to me....

How many 991 GT3 did Australia get? I heard maybe 145? NZ I think got 26 officially (I know of 18 myself).

Not Sure on RS as I understand these are still rolling in with last ones arriving end of Oct/early Nov. I think the final number will be around 18 (I know 12 were already confirmed in April).

Very hard to get straight answers over hear even from dealers.

What is the typical base list price of a GT4 in Australia including OCR and taxes? We have not really heard of any changing hands in NZ at this time to compare but I should think any " like new " examples with say 2-3000km on them would only be 5-10% under list or possible less although most folks on the waiting list have now been given allocations.

I think it is fun to have more than less as you have more people to "play" with on track and compare notes and set up with...
Old 07-15-2016 | 09:34 AM
O5C4R
Racer

Yeah that was Mark (one of the guys getting headers). His car came the same time as Bardmans. (PCM)

I know the US deal was for 15% - but that was for far more numbers than Alvin has. (Currently 4 of us). That all said the price by the time it is landed here is about 15% less than Evolve quoted.
i'm interested, car has not even crossed the equator yet, but how much are the CG headers landed?

Quick Reply: Australian GT4s