Sponsored by: APR

Cargraphic Headers. Whose got em?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 05:32 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm in for sport headers group buy.

Would one be crazy to combo this with Akrapovic? If price wasn't an issue this would be my ideal setup.

I'm a sucker for titanium exhaust.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:02 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

^ Yes - I almost went this direction but no way could I convince myself to go this route-$$$$. Then I heard from some one they heard it live and was far from impressed so that sealed it for me- but I am sure there are those who love the sound so do not want to discredit Akrapovic
Old 05-18-2016, 11:57 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^ Yes - I almost went this direction but no way could I convince myself to go this route-$$$$. Then I heard from some one they heard it live and was far from impressed so that sealed it for me- but I am sure there are those who love the sound so do not want to discredit Akrapovic
Yea, agreed. From the videos posted it sounds quite similar to the PSE. However, I think this option would be a bit more quiet than other options due to the 3 baffles. If one were building a track terror this probably wouldn't be an exhaust to look at. But a street/canyon menace...quite possibly.

So, one would have to argue is it worth it for a decrease in weight (8lbs), slight increase in power (7hp or so), and a titanium finish to justify the purchase. I have to admit. Im considering it.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:04 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I am dying to go the sport headers way; however, to be honest, I admit that I am no expert in this area. I know the reasons for adding headers; however, I have a bit of a reverse question. Are there any reasons, or downsides, why you would consider NOT putting sport headers on besides the known warranty concerns?
Old 05-19-2016, 12:33 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm in on group buy if its from BGB only. Otherwise, I'm going retail through them.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:35 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
Yea, agreed. From the videos posted it sounds quite similar to the PSE. However, I think this option would be a bit more quiet than other options due to the 3 baffles. If one were building a track terror this probably wouldn't be an exhaust to look at. But a street/canyon menace...quite possibly.

So, one would have to argue is it worth it for a decrease in weight (8lbs), slight increase in power (7hp or so), and a titanium finish to justify the purchase. I have to admit. Im considering it.
I ordered the valveless FVD sport version exhaust. Almost 1/3 the price and saves 25 lbs. Should have it in 3 weeks and will post some sound clips
Old 05-19-2016, 02:21 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-991-...xhaust-system/

pay $7000 to save 8lbs/gain 7hp or potentially $1400 and save 35lbs/gain 14hp?
Old 05-19-2016, 02:47 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by user1029
http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-991-...xhaust-system/

pay $7000 to save 8lbs/gain 7hp or potentially $1400 and save 35lbs/gain 14hp?
I could pay a local exhaust shop to bend similar tubes to create that piece for much cheaper. Which may be an option for some.

But im looking for a system similar to the PSE with baffles that's lighter and has more power. Titanium is a plus.

And I've been quoted way below 7k, but still expensive.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:21 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

We are getting excited about the progression of the group buy and I am finalizing details with Cargraphic as we speak.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 10-11-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:25 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
We are getting excited about the progression of the group buy and I am finalizing details with Cargraphic as we speak.
We've got 13 in so far with a mix of sport and race headers. How many do you think Cargraphic will need to allow group buy pricing?

Thanks for the update!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:26 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
I am dying to go the sport headers way; however, to be honest, I admit that I am no expert in this area. I know the reasons for adding headers; however, I have a bit of a reverse question. Are there any reasons, or downsides, why you would consider NOT putting sport headers on besides the known warranty concerns?
Without CATs you can trigger CELs as well as have problems with Smog testing and Sound testing (depending on where you live).

I think the thing to pay attention to though, is how a particular set of headers can influence the power/torque delivery of your car. Most of the manufacturers are only talking about peak gains. +X hp, +Y lb/ft. They are not (currently) providing any dyno charts for their headers. But a dyno chart can tell you more about what the overall change will feel like, and in some cases this may not be what you want.

Take this dyno chart from Fabspeed sports headers as an example (not picking on fabspeed, but they are the only manufacturer providing dyno charts for their headers for which I applaud them):

Name:  aOuzpLB.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  487.4 KB

You can see that these headers add peak 10 hp and only a couple of lb/foot of torque. But where it gets interesting is that at 3600 rpm you get about +40 lb/foot of torque. That's a 17% boost in that low/mid range.

Great, but. Move along to 4000 rpm and the torque has dropped below stock. So its reduced the magnitude of the torque dip and pushed it higher up the rev range. This may be a compromise you are willing to make - overall the area under the curve is larger. But if you spend all your time higher up the rev range then this may not be desirable.

As another example, look what happens at about 4800 rpms. Almost 20 lb/ft higher than stock, but watch it dip to around the same level as stock. Stock pretty much flattens out but doesn't really dip. So with the headers you will feel like you are "coming off the boil" a little at that point before going back up again. Overall the torque numbers are higher in this range, but you may not want that drop off feeling which you wouldn't get with the stock manifolds.

Given this car is all about feel, I think its important to understand how a certain set of headers can influence the feel - and that is more important than any peak gains. My 2 cents.

For the record, my car is for the street, so I'm pretty excited about reducing that torque dip at 3600rpms, I just want to see what the other header solutions dyno charts look like as well.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:27 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
We are getting excited about the progression of the group buy and I am finalizing details with Cargraphic as we speak. In the meantime, i figured you guys would want some info i confirmed with my car. If you run race headers, you will get CELs for the mixture being off according to the post cat O2s. IF you unplug the post cat O2s you will still get a CEL but it will be because the ECU doesn't see the O2s heating up. IF you run a tune that is expecting the missing O2s, you will be free of CELs.
Have you tried using those mini Catalysts in the post O2s?

Last edited by d00d; 10-28-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:58 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Ladies and Gents,

I got as much as we could from Cargraphic in Germany. We need 10 parties and we have about 13 so therefore we can offer 10% off the "Race" Manifolds without cats and 15% off the "Sport" Manifolds WITH cats and an additional 50% off shipping in the lower 48. That puts you well below the price of other competing brands of race manifolds with a nice discount on the sport manifolds. Interested parties should call the shop and ask for Miguel so that we can take billing and credit card information because i would like to turn around and pay Cargraphic immediately so we can get parts in the queue and ready for shipment. The offer will run through Memorial Day 2016. If during the summer more GT4 owners want to participate then we will consider running the offer again.

Thanks for the positive support on this forum. We are lucky to have such faithful followers.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:59 AM
bhk1004
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question. What does that roll up to in dollars? At work and can't dig in.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:18 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for making this happen John! Just placed my order with Miguel for the sport header.

Guys in the group buy if you want to get in on the first "order batch" to get yours soonest give Miguel a call now! 386-265-1979

Quick Reply: Cargraphic Headers. Whose got em?