Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 11:07 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Ladies and Gents,

Sorry for the dormancy on the updates but we are busier than we have ever been trying to get existing shop work done, 3 race builds completed and some cars prepped for the first official PCA GT4 Club Sport race. We have a GT4 Club Sport in the shop finally and that work begins today to get it ready in addition to the prepping of both 3.8L X51 race Caymans.

In the meantime, i have been back to the dyno once to tinker with the cam timing and the Power Kit flaps because i started with a base GT4 ECU flash and have had to adjust it for 991 Power Kit air flow amounts, cam timing and intake flap operation (there are 2 on the 991 and only 1 on the GT4.) In the meantime, while i am not finished, too many people have requested a dyno run of the car as it sits now. The 3.99L pistons are in production and my plans are to have the X51 mapping finished just in time for the motor to come back out and get the crank conversion next month.

For now, here is the dyno run illustrating the perfectly flat torque curve and perfectly sloped power curve. Please don't ask why the torque looks light, because i'm still reverse engineering the cam and flap operations which are rather integral for the torque scavenging. When successful, the torque should exceed 300lb/ft at the wheels. The power however is all there, as you can see. The ECU is set to rev to 8K RPM but i was lifting off at about 7800. Had i left my foot in it, it would peak at the cut. The cams, manifold and porting are amazing at keeping that power curve constant. I just need to do more R&D work. I have no faults for its sucking too much air but i'm still too fat with the mixture around town. It's perfect on the dyno but as most of my customers will tell you, I will tinker with something too long sometimes because if it's perfect for me, it will be perfect for you. The drivability is just like that of a stock car but I want more torque and better mileage so i'm going back again to the dyno after this weekend.

Below is a link to the Stage I, II and III offerings on our web site. Hopefully when the server updates they will appear in the drop down menu. For the time being though, you have to go to the page and view them individually. I'm struggling to get the dyno run up on the web site but please bear with us.

Thanks for following!

http://www.teambgb.com/category-s/130.htm
Old 03-17-2016, 11:33 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 760 Posts

$19,800 shortcut, stage 3 links to stage 2 John.
http://www.teambgb.com/category-s/133.htm
Old 03-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Great work and great update John
Thanks for keeping us in the loop
Regards
Ed
Old 03-17-2016, 06:10 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,454 Likes on 758 Posts

STAGE 1 STREET PACKAGE :
BMC High Flow Air Filters -
Cargraphic Stainless Steel Longtube Manifolds with 200 Cell Cats
IPD 82mm Competition Plenum & 82mm 3.8L 991 Throttle Body -
Upgraded 3.8L GT4 Mapping for 7930 RPM -

John - Appreciate all you have done and shared with the GT4 and you have certainly earned my business. I sent you a PM but for some reason it might not have gone thru.

I am very interested in this package above. Do you have any contacts in IL who could install the Plenum and throttle body. I know my Dealer will have no issues with the Sport Headers and they may even do the Plenum and Body but I would just ask them to not show what they did on the bill . Also, how often would they see the throttle body and plenum. I guess my question is would they ever remove the engine cover for any of the yearly services. Is it possible they may never see it unless I had some sort of engine issue

Now - do you all have a tune developed for the Stage 1 yet that is out of the box sort to speak. Like - can you just buy the Stage 1 tune??

Thanks
Old 03-17-2016, 07:15 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 273 Posts

Name:  mvyGcGu.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  23.5 KB
Old 03-17-2016, 10:35 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
STAGE 1 STREET PACKAGE :
wouldn't the raised rev limit set off a lot of overrev instances?
Old 03-17-2016, 10:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
wouldn't the raised rev limit set off a lot of overrev instances?
No - because you can have them program to keep the stock threshold
Old 03-18-2016, 12:12 AM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
I thought the same thing but figures the dyno graph earned the lack any one noticing a second pic
Old 03-18-2016, 07:58 AM
Quack
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Very flat torque curve and a beautifully smooth gradient on the power curve! You need to find a distributor in Oz! I'm very keen to upgrade my baby when she arrives!
Old 03-18-2016, 12:20 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

BGB: I sent a PM a week ago, please respond.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:50 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Nice work!

1. Could we see a dyno plot of the stage 1 package, overlaid with a stock pull?

2. Could we see a dyno plot of just the 200 cell cat cargraphic manifolds, overlaid with a stock pull? Is it confirmed that this throws no CELs without tuning?

3. Would it be possible to do a stage 0.5 with just
82mm TB, manifolds, tuning? (No plenum, no cup mufflers?) Is it confirmed that the 82 mm throttle body does throw CELs without tuning?
Old 03-18-2016, 04:03 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Quack
Very flat torque curve and a beautifully smooth gradient on the power curve! You need to find a distributor in Oz! I'm very keen to upgrade my baby when she arrives!
Let us know! Maybe we could sell you all the parts and you could have the dealership install the kit.

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Great work and great update John
Thanks for keeping us in the loop
Regards
Ed
Thank you very much. I'm working on the mapping as we speak and it's getting stronger but I am not happy just yet.

STAGE 1 STREET PACKAGE :

John - Appreciate all you have done and shared with the GT4 and you have certainly earned my business. I sent you a PM but for some reason it might not have gone thru.

I am very interested in this package above. Do you have any contacts in IL who could install the Plenum and throttle body. I know my Dealer will have no issues with the Sport Headers and they may even do the Plenum and Body but I would just ask them to not show what they did on the bill . Also, how often would they see the throttle body and plenum. I guess my question is would they ever remove the engine cover for any of the yearly services. Is it possible they may never see it unless I had some sort of engine issue

Now - do you all have a tune developed for the Stage 1 yet that is out of the box sort to speak. Like - can you just buy the Stage 1 tune??

Thanks
If i have failed to get back to you, I am sorry. Multiple employees check the PMs and sometimes i don't see them. It's always best to call the shop or send me an email directly. Thanks for the kind words and i love the avatar! The dealership will only see the plenum when they open the engine cover, which, there shouldn't be a need to do unless they're going in for something else. Since the filters are accessible from the trunk, i can't think of anything they would go in for under an annual service but my memory could be failing me right now.

As for the other questions, what is our time frame? I am finishing up a Stage I tune for the Stage I products but we still have access to others that could get you something right now. You would not have to wait and it would be a tune custom mapped for the Stage I upgrades with OR without cats.

Originally Posted by rsierra
BGB: I sent a PM a week ago, please respond.
Sorry...PM sent. If you don't ever get a response after 24 - 48 hours, please don't hesitate to call the shop or email me directly with an email subject of "HEY...PSSST!"

Originally Posted by Yargk
Nice work!

1. Could we see a dyno plot of the stage 1 package, overlaid with a stock pull?

2. Could we see a dyno plot of just the 200 cell cat cargraphic manifolds, overlaid with a stock pull? Is it confirmed that this throws no CELs without tuning?

3. Would it be possible to do a stage 0.5 with just
82mm TB, manifolds, tuning? (No plenum, no cup mufflers?) Is it confirmed that the 82 mm throttle body does throw CELs without tuning?

1.) Those dyno runs are posted up early on in this thread when we first released the Stage I offerings. I can bundle a package with this mapping custom made for those bolt-ons.
2.) You will not get a CEL from the 200 cell catalytic Cargraphic manifolds. As of right now, I only have a GTS dyno plot laid over a stock one. I do have a customer though in Puerto Rico that will be providing one BUT it's with 200 cell cat manifolds AND Cup Mufflers so it may not be the apples to apples comparison you seek.
3.) The only issue with this would be that if you didn't do the IPD plenum, you would have to use a 991 center plenum that fits the 82mm throttle body and then you have the issue of vacuum lines and breather lines not mating up properly. So if you skipped the IPD, you would have to engineer something on your own. As for the tuning and the larger throttle body, there are a few people having issues right now getting the 82mm throttle body to work with AND without tuning. The only way to guarantee no CEL is to re-set the throttle body adaptation with the PIWIS AND tune for the expected larger air mass with aftermarket mapping.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:24 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

"As for the other questions, what is our time frame? I am finishing up a Stage I tune for the Stage I products but we still have access to others that could get you something right now. You would not have to wait and it would be a tune custom mapped for the Stage I upgrades with OR without cats."

John - My GT4 will not be here until May so we have some time

"The only way to guarantee no CEL is to re-set the throttle body adaptation with the PIWIS AND tune for the expected larger air mass with aftermarket mapping."

Can you explain this above. What is PIWIS?? I understand that one would need a tune for the Plenum and throttle body but how does one re-set the throttle body adaptation with the PIWIS
Old 03-18-2016, 05:03 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Can you explain this above. What is PIWIS?? I understand that one would need a tune for the Plenum and throttle body but how does one re-set the throttle body adaptation with the PIWIS
dealer will do it for you quickly. very easy.. calibrates the system to it knows that more air is coming in.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:12 PM
Charles@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted

Last edited by Charles@dundonmotorsports; 03-21-2016 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!