Nut.

Wait.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:24 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 602 Likes on 269 Posts

Hopefully this will be the last photo of the gaping hole in the engine bay. More photos though for you folks to see til later today.

I also need ChrisF to chime in because he went on track after having a Guard LSD installed in his car and I sent him a lightweight flywheel to try and free up some rotational mass; the reports are that the car revs more freely at low RPMs and he's shocked at how quiet the flywheel is and how similar to stock the drivability is.

Originally Posted by Knolow
Awesome list. Sticking to warranty is looking dim. List wise what about an LSD? Or I am blind and that was in there.
Sorry, I didn't include it on this build because I need them on the shelf to sell to GT4 owners. My car is probably 75% street and 25% stock. If you go on track, an LSD is a must given that it can be serviced whereas the factory one can't be after a season's worth of going on track.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:50 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Hopefully this will be the last photo of the gaping hole in the engine bay.
Looks like the new GT4 Targa...
Old 02-22-2016, 04:20 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,004 Likes on 376 Posts

Was hoping to see video of you guys starting the beast today

So Guard LSD and LWFW are in. There's a little chatter at idle due to the flywheel but not very much. Much quieter than the 997.2 GT3 RS LWFW. Engagement and pedal effort are the same as stock. If you didn't hear the telltale chatter, you'd think the car was stock. In gears 1-3 and in the lower engine rev range, the car "spools" up noticably faster. If you know the feel of the car coming on cam at 5500RPM, it just feels like more and earlier.

The diff is also pretty quiet except over slower sharp turns. A little bit of chatter but not much. I was doing instructor school at Thunderhill on Saturday so I was more focused on the new West course, corners rather than the car's handling. This is a really tight technical course. Not once did I notice any understeer. Car went very positively where you pointed the nose and applied throttle. I need a bit more time on track to really feel the difference but I think both mods will be common after people exeprience the results.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:25 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Was hoping to see video of you guys starting the beast today So Guard LSD and LWFW are in. There's a little chatter at idle due to the flywheel but not very much. Much quieter than the 997.2 GT3 RS LWFW. Engagement and pedal effort are the same as stock. If you didn't hear the telltale chatter, you'd think the car was stock. In gears 1-3 and in the lower engine rev range, the car "spools" up noticably faster. If you know the feel of the car coming on cam at 5500RPM, it just feels like more and earlier. The diff is also pretty quiet except over slower sharp turns. A little bit of chatter but not much. I was doing instructor school at Thunderhill on Saturday so I was more focused on the new West course, corners rather than the car's handling. This is a really tight technical course. Not once did I notice any understeer. Car went very positively where you pointed the nose and applied throttle. I need a bit more time on track to really feel the difference but I think both mods will be common after people exeprience the results.
Sounds good Chris, looking at your videos from Winterfest the car handled very well. Did you feel any under steer in turn 10 and 13?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:03 PM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully this will be the last photo of the gaping hole in the engine bay. More photos though for you folks to see til later today.

I also need ChrisF to chime in because he went on track after having a Guard LSD installed in his car and I sent him a lightweight flywheel to try and free up some rotational mass; the reports are that the car revs more freely at low RPMs and he's shocked at how quiet the flywheel is and how similar to stock the drivability is.

Sorry, I didn't include it on this build because I need them on the shelf to sell to GT4 owners. My car is probably 75% street and 25% stock. If you go on track, an LSD is a must given that it can be serviced whereas the factory one can't be after a season's worth of going on track.
Was hoping to see video of you guys starting the beast today

So Guard LSD and LWFW are in. There's a little chatter at idle due to the flywheel but not very much. Much quieter than the 997.2 GT3 RS LWFW. Engagement and pedal effort are the same as stock. If you didn't hear the telltale chatter, you'd think the car was stock. In gears 1-3 and in the lower engine rev range, the car "spools" up noticably faster. If you know the feel of the car coming on cam at 5500RPM, it just feels like more and earlier.

The diff is also pretty quiet except over slower sharp turns. A little bit of chatter but not much. I was doing instructor school at Thunderhill on Saturday so I was more focused on the new West course, corners rather than the car's handling. This is a really tight technical course. Not once did I notice any understeer. Car went very positively where you pointed the nose and applied throttle. I need a bit more time on track to really feel the difference but I think both mods will be common after people exeprience the results.
There it is! (regarding diff and LWFW)
Now you guys must have been doing this for years cause perfect execution of just enough info, lol. More details!
Old 02-23-2016, 12:46 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Sounds good Chris, looking at your videos from Winterfest the car handled very well. Did you feel any under steer in turn 10 and 13?
Not really. The car was pretty neutral everywhere. My only critiques for the car at Sebring was:

a. coming out of 7. When I got on the power - hard and early - I could feel the very soft rotation of the stock diff. I kept thinking that with a more aggressive LSD, the rotation would have been faster and more controllable with my foot. I wanted that. I think there was a little longer wait time in that transition. Pretty much the rest of the track, the car did whatever I told it.

b. nose squirming under hard braking. I think this was a combo of soft front bar and less decel lock in the stock diff than I'm used to (relative to my GT3).

The one thing I'm starting to notice about the LWFW is that as I roll into throttle on the street, I'm feeling the car react much more quickly. I thought initially this was placebo effect of a new mod but there are reference spots on my commute where I felt the car was pretty flat to accelerate. Tonight on the way home at about 4 points I thought "wo, I don't remember accelerating like that before". I think the real test will be a back to back in another GT4 for some true A/B testing
Old 02-23-2016, 08:25 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Not really. The car was pretty neutral everywhere. My only critiques for the car at Sebring was: a. coming out of 7. When I got on the power - hard and early - I could feel the very soft rotation of the stock diff. I kept thinking that with a more aggressive LSD, the rotation would have been faster and more controllable with my foot. I wanted that. I think there was a little longer wait time in that transition. Pretty much the rest of the track, the car did whatever I told it. b. nose squirming under hard braking. I think this was a combo of soft front bar and less decel lock in the stock diff than I'm used to (relative to my GT3). The one thing I'm starting to notice about the LWFW is that as I roll into throttle on the street, I'm feeling the car react much more quickly. I thought initially this was placebo effect of a new mod but there are reference spots on my commute where I felt the car was pretty flat to accelerate. Tonight on the way home at about 4 points I thought "wo, I don't remember accelerating like that before". I think the real test will be a back to back in another GT4 for some true A/B testing
Thanks for that info. Looking forward to yours and BGBs continued work.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:36 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Thanks for that info. Looking forward to yours and BGBs continued work.
You are welcome. So, today is the day this motor FINALLY gets installed. My tech had an emergency Monday, yesterday we discovered that the fuel rail specific to the X51 manifold was missing so I stayed until about 8pm taking it back off my old 981 and swapping out parts because like you folks, it's killing me. Thank you for your patience. Do you guys want pics of all parts going on or do you not care about anything other than increased power, torque and cost?!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:14 AM
rraustin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are welcome. So, today is the day this motor FINALLY gets installed. My tech had an emergency Monday, yesterday we discovered that the fuel rail specific to the X51 manifold was missing so I stayed until about 8pm taking it back off my old 981 and swapping out parts because like you folks, it's killing me. Thank you for your patience. Do you guys want pics of all parts going on or do you not care about anything other than increased power, torque and cost?!
yes, pics please
Old 02-24-2016, 08:37 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by rraustin
yes, pics please
+1 Pretty please!
Old 02-24-2016, 09:28 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Yes, pictures please!
I've decided on Cargraphic long tube headers without catalysts, but would like to be persuaded to get the exhaust too.
Dyno run comparisons with PSE, Cargraphic Sport with flaps, and Cup would be great.

Last edited by d00d; 06-25-2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:08 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Details details!!!!
Old 02-24-2016, 01:24 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Do you guys want pics of all parts going on or do you not care about anything other than increased power, torque and cost?!
LOL
Does a bear $hit in the woods
That sounds so much like Rick DeMan
We want it all so we can dream...
Old 02-24-2016, 03:22 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The flywheel is on and we are about ready for install!

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!