Sponsored by: APR

GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:14 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
After talking to multiple tuners, only one can guarantee that the CEL will not show up for too much air from the 82mm TB and that's the ECU from Germany. At this point, the U.S. offering is working on guaranteeing that the IPD/82mm TB won't set off a CEL with a modified tune but it's early to tell as most GT4 owners haven't jumped on board with the Plenum upgrade. However, my car is running GT4 firmware with porting, 82mm TB and X51 manifold and I only have CELs for the lack of cats but not for the MAP/MAF implausible so, as for right now, the same people who are 50/50 on whether or not their software accommodates for it, are ending up on successful side of the experiment.

I have finished 3 offerings that list what is in each stage and how much it costs. Should I post them here or start a new thread?
My car was immediately throwing a MAS minimum airflow error, but they managed to clear it using a series of re-adaptations that are in "hidden" menus in the PIWIS. I have maybe put 15miles on it since the plenum was installed, so I may still get a CEL in the near future. COBB does not have an off the shelf tune for any mods yet, so we'll need to wait for a while it seems. They are working on what they call a stage II tune.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

John, this thread already has 32 pages with close to 500 posts. At this point it is getting hard to follow. I suggest you post information on the BGB website. This will provide one place where everyone can go to quickly and easily access the information we want. I suggest you provide a complete menu of modifications and upgrades along with whatever related information people may want to see.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:29 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

I have finished 3 offerings that list what is in each stage and how much it costs. Should I post them here or start a new thread?
I think it warrants a sticky thread - with your three offerings - pricing and performance gains listed. That would be a source for all to see - but would not get lost in many pages of posts!

Regardless of where it is posted your work to date is great for all GT4 Owners, thanks for posting up so much information along the way.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
John, this thread already has 32 pages with close to 500 posts. At this point it is getting hard to follow. I suggest you post information on the BGB website. This will provide one place where everyone can go to quickly and easily access the information we want. I suggest you provide a complete menu of modifications and upgrades along with whatever related information people may want to see.
Concur.

One way to break out the information in a way that would be useful to me is to separate out the modifications into two categories--those that require a tune to be effective or to avoid a CEL and those that do not.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:06 PM
bhk1004
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
My car was immediately throwing a MAS minimum airflow error, but they managed to clear it using a series of re-adaptations that are in "hidden" menus in the PIWIS. I have maybe put 15miles on it since the plenum was installed, so I may still get a CEL in the near future. COBB does not have an off the shelf tune for any mods yet, so we'll need to wait for a while it seems. They are working on what they call a stage II tune.
You don't have to wait for cobb. Custom tuning should be able to turn off or tune out any cel. Well at least that's been the case with my previous car. I also am not a fan of 1 size fits all tuning. Definitely recommend getting a custom tune even if it's an etune from a tuner you trust.

Bgb do you offer etunes?
Old 03-03-2016, 01:08 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by bhk1004
You don't have to wait for cobb. Custom tuning should be able to turn off or tune out any cel. Well at least that's been the case with my previous car. I also am not a fan of 1 size fits all tuning. Definitely recommend getting a custom tune even if it's an etune from a tuner you trust.

Bgb do you offer etunes?
I've got an appointment for Cobb to do it coming up in a couple weeks. They might base their stage II on this car.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

In the works as we speak! I will be on the dyno all day Monday with the car and helping build some Stage II maps for Cobb who will be releasing GT4 files shortly for cars that have headers, Plenums, etc. I will try and answer the rest of the questions shortly. I have recovered from the SwineFlu and we are on track at Sebring for 4 days with cars.

When we did the first X51 install on a 981 I had prototyped the fitment. Since then I have a coolant tank being made so that it's literally a matter of swapping parts and not grinding anything anymore.
Glad you feeling better ( we are all on the edge of our seats )
Great idea on the coolant tank
Way to go John !!!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:19 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Concur. One way to break out the information in a way that would be useful to me is to separate out the modifications into two categories--those that require a tune to be effective or to avoid a CEL and those that do not.
Roger that! Will do when I get back to the hotel.

Originally Posted by bhk1004
You don't have to wait for cobb. Custom tuning should be able to turn off or tune out any cel. Well at least that's been the case with my previous car. I also am not a fan of 1 size fits all tuning. Definitely recommend getting a custom tune even if it's an etune from a tuner you trust. Bgb do you offer etunes?
absolutely. As I get further down the road with their software over the next few weeks, I plan to have folks log their cars on the street and send me the logs to do a custom file. We did a lot of tuning of cars on the track vs the dyno and given how user friendly the software is, I plan to do customer tuning remotely. I would rather have live data with actual real world air flow in say 3rd gear for example. Obvisously this implies higher road speeds but for folks in parts of the world where there are no speed limits, it's okay. A race track log is preferred though because I don't want you guys speeding on limited roads!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:30 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Concur.

One way to break out the information in a way that would be useful to me is to separate out the modifications into two categories--those that require a tune to be effective or to avoid a CEL and those that do not.
This would be great.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:42 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Yes and every time I get out of my GT3, I think "if only the GT4 had power like this, it would be perfect!"

There is a big gap between the GT3 in feel based on power and gearing.
A little off-topic but how involving and rewarding do you find the handling of the 4 vs the 3?
Old 03-03-2016, 05:17 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 986 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
A little off-topic but how involving and rewarding do you find the handling of the 4 vs the 3?
Both are very involving to drive. The GT4 is easier to drive fast out of the box. Drivetrain of the GT3 is hands down better.

If I were only to ever experience one on track, I'd consider myself lucky. Both cars have spoiled me for life.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:44 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Both are very involving to drive. The GT4 is easier to drive fast out of the box. Drivetrain of the GT3 is hands down better.

If I were only to ever experience one on track, I'd consider myself lucky. Both cars have spoiled me for life.
If the GT4 had the GT3 motor, which would you choose?
Old 03-03-2016, 06:31 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by bhgt2
Has anyone seen a proper custom tune on cobb that maximizes the benefits of the TB and plenum?
We're still going testing to sort out the occasional CEL lights due to the larger TB. Once we have that sorted out we'll be releasing OTS maps and there will be custom maps from your preferred ProTuner as well.

~Jared

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 03-03-2016, 10:14 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
We're still going testing to sort out the occasional CEL lights due to the larger TB. Once we have that sorted out we'll be releasing OTS maps and there will be custom maps from your preferred ProTuner as well.

~Jared

I'll be the first to admit I have the biggest man crush on you guys. Cobb AP ***** for 10 years now
Old 03-04-2016, 01:49 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 986 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
If the GT4 had the GT3 motor, which would you choose?
GT4

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!