Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 12:09 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
LOVing the blue PCM. Really makes a big difference and worth the cost. Regrets for me. Also loving the leather seat backs. Another regret for me. The blue is really beautiful and I like the hoops; it's so beautiful in fact that the wort really bugs in this iteration. Usually it doesn't bug me so much.
Ooops, Don't regret the leather seat backs because just realized I would need to change to 18 ways and then I would lose an inch in space and being tall I need that inch. I just rebuilt a car to see what it would look like now that I know some stuff and I guess I saved myself 10k by not knowing.

If I had to do over I would go plain white with red interior black wheels and ALL the red leather bits and do carmine red air ports and washers. Just saying. I would do the aluminum pedals and the fancy painted key and leather pouch and I would still do Bermester. I would also delete the rear model designation since it's on the sides. I built it and was "only" 110k. If I didn't have a road trip planned I would do it.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:12 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I do love It, and I debated it strongly. But I can't think of an option which is so expensive for so little effort. A tiny painted edging around the nav screen is what, $1900.. That is INSANE. All respect to the guy who chooses it, makes them a true lover of the details... But I couldn't bring myself to do it
I know but Look at it! It's the f'n center of the car's interior and makes a big difference. And it looks amazing up close and far away!
Old 11-19-2015, 01:32 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderNeedFSpeed
Another pic to stimulate the discussion...
Congratulations! Looks unique and awesome!
Old 11-19-2015, 01:40 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know but Look at it! It's the f'n center of the car's interior and makes a big difference. And it looks amazing up close and far away!
I agree. Thinking of adding that before mine locks.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
I agree. Thinking of adding that before mine locks.
you don't think you can have that little bit of plastic painted aftermarket for less than $1900??
Old 11-19-2015, 02:55 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you don't think you can have that little bit of plastic painted aftermarket for less than $1900??
1900 is steep, even by porsche standards. Makes 1200 for painted air vent slats look reasonable.

It does look good though.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:58 PM
1q2w3e4r
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AlpineR
Yep, understand, what do you do? GT Silver is a AU$5500 option here, that's like US$4500. Besides the car was built the day before I took the order so I'll deal with it. Besides if it really gets to me I can get the GT silver vinyl wrapped in black or a classic red maybe, even a closer match to rhodium.

A good friend also ordered a car a few week back, in GT silver, his is a 16 build with a much higher leather content than mine. Will be interesting to see his next to mine, given we live 450miles apart it's not likely gonna happen.

Australia will likely only get circa 25 spyders, rare indeed, my dealer is the only dealer in my state, we have their only allocation, so it's likely that we will never see another 981 Spyder.
Hey Alpine, great spec that's what I'd pick!

Are you aware of any allocations locally in Aus? I'm thinking of getting one of these and wondering what the demand/availability is like.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:07 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Good point, and I thought the same thing. For my car I would have loved to been able to get rid of the Silver painted bits that come with the red leather package and do all red leather instead. The painted PCM doesn't work so well with the red interior because then you have a bunch more silver surfaces which looks rather generic to me. The blue paint makes good use of this expensive option.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:01 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
1900 is steep, even by porsche standards. Makes 1200 for painted air vent slats look reasonable.

It does look good though.
the "painted" slats are LEATHER covered.. makes this painted PCM price even more insane LOL.

Good point, and I thought the same thing. For my car I would have loved to been able to get rid of the Silver painted bits that come with the red leather package and do all red leather instead. The painted PCM doesn't work so well with the red interior because then you have a bunch more silver surfaces which looks rather generic to me. The blue paint makes good use of this expensive option.
I'm right there with you.. the tough part there from what i've learned on this forum (everything I know in the world, comes from this forum) is that we can't remove the silver trim from the doors.. i would have loved to have carbon trim on those which goes so well with the garnet red, just like my red LWB with carbon...argh! but, there is a much cheaper and visually identical solution.

Using the 3M carbon wrap would make for a very clean (and reversible) trim upgrade. Should be quite easy to cut out the pattern for the door trim and place the 3M wrap over it for a super cheap and perfect upgrade to go with the garnet red. The front trim and center console while slightly more complex patterns are very easily removable and placing those on a sheet of 3M to stencil around would be a cinch.

so many cool little upgrades for this spyder...

Last edited by CAlexio; 11-19-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

the "painted" slats are LEATHER covered.. makes this painted PCM price even more insane LOL..
The slats are leather covered then painted ?
That doesn't make any sense, I'm confused.
There's the air vents cover in leather $1200 (CZV) and air vents painted $1200 (CDN). The latter has leather painted slats?
(For the record, I think both are insanity YMMV)
Old 11-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
the "painted" slats are LEATHER covered.. makes this painted PCM price even more insane LOL.
Milehigh981 is correct, Alessandro. You can ordered them painted...

...and they are also available leather covered for the same price!

Remember that 'Porsche Exclusive' prices these items based, in part, on the labor cost it takes for them to install
these items after production at the special facility behind the 'European Delivery' area at Zuffenhausen (in the case
of the 981 Spyder). So the harder for the part to get to & exchanged with the 'Exclusive' part, the more expensive
the cost of the option. Does that now make sense?

Below are photos I took in that particular space back in 2013:

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 11-19-2015, 04:35 PM
AlpineR
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r
Hey Alpine, great spec that's what I'd pick!

Are you aware of any allocations locally in Aus? I'm thinking of getting one of these and wondering what the demand/availability is like.
Cheers, 1234

Re allocations no idea other than the comments from PCB and PCC that they are very low, word is 20-25 but not confirmed. My mate has a Feb build from PCM by the way. For the same money as a Cayman GTS (and circa $30k less than a GT4) it's a no brainer I reckon.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:54 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Ah, yes that makes sense Eduardo. Easy to forget the separate process involved.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:59 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

BTW leather air slats will be a PITA.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:06 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

The year is ending well for me which is great but sucks because when I ordered this car I held back a bit (I'm at 100k) so now all these decorative extras are big I could haves. That painted PCM really put a rock on my boat.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!