Originally Posted by Tahoe Shark
Only a mother could love that thing.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Bill51sdr
Fleet of Foot
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I was speaking to a PCNA rep the other day and he could not tell me anything other than none of the cars used to test the platform look anything like the product that is supposed to be released. Expect a major change from the cars you see in the spy shots apparently the car under the camouflage has been camouflaged.
Well I hope that is the case. But ya gotta admit, what we are seeing now is less than inspiring.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:10 PM
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 547 Likes on 410 Posts

Local PCA newsletter included the following from PCNA:

Atlanta, September 15, 2008 – Rather than rolling to the starting line—as is befitting a Porsche sports car—the new Panamera Gran Turismo is rolling into the public limelight for the first time on a new website.

Starting today, and marking the long-awaited product marketing roll out of this Porsche model line, Panamera Online Magazine will offer a wide range of the latest information on this soon-to-be member of the Porsche product family.

Along with facts and updates, this site, www.porsche.com/panamera, will include videos of disguised prototypes on test drives. Additionally, Porsche will begin a multi-stage direct mail campaign to select Porsche owners and enthusiasts.

Porsche said it will release the first official press photography of the Panamera Gran Turismo later this year. However, worldwide autophiles today will have the chance to experience the concept of this highly anticipated four-door sedan in the Panamera Online Magazine. Interested customers can sign up for regular updates on the car.

The Panamera Gran Turismo, designed and developed in Weissach and will be built in Leipzig, Germany, is a genuine Porsche that will transport four adults without compromise. The Panamera provides a unique space concept and superior driving dynamics, as the result of 60 years of sports car expertise and know-how.

The Porsche Panamera will make its world debut next spring, with the market launch in late summer, early fall 2009.
They included a teaser picture:
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2008, 04:15 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by dr bob

I received the mailing a note book
Old 09-26-2008, 01:17 AM
6mil928
Race Car

Location: No where Oklahoma AKA "The Dust Bowl" In The Arm pit Of Hell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys I'm going to have to vote that it looks like $hit!
Old 09-26-2008, 12:03 PM
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 547 Likes on 410 Posts

It may look 'funny' at first since we aren't accustomed to seeing 4-door Porsche touring cars. I doubt it will look like $hit! though. Image is a lot at car co's these days, especially in the rarified $trata that the Panamera is likely to live. Competitors are likely to be A-M and maybe F cars. Face it, it's hard to fit four limo-size seats into a sports-GT.

Good news is that in 15 years, I might be able to pick one up for 15% or original purchase price, with < 25k on the meter, from a PO's climate-controlled storage. Same way I found the 928 I have now.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't like what I've seen of this model Porsche car. I think the designers have missed what could have been an opportunity to make a truly strong design statement, aesthetically and functionally. They chose to utilize current almost trite Porsche vocabulary of forms and concepts which are most effective on smaller wheelbased cars, just as they chose to use them on the Cayenne. They could have started with a clean sheet of paper but didn't. It is common in design to give a project to a fresh head to see what that head may produce without being influenced with past tendencies and concepts. If only Porsche had done that. When the 911 was drawn, it was drawn by a "new" generation of Porsche who no longer seems to be an influence on the auto division because he now does his "own thing". He also drew the 904, among other fresh designs. Too bad he left.

To be honest though, I came from the generation of P car enthusiasts who began with the 356 (bathtub) Porsches. You had to be a little unconventional to like that car; a little "odd" and definitely not mainstream. But the form and concept made senst to me an still does. (Hey I still like the Beetle). I did NOT like the 911 when I first saw it. I thought they had abandoned all that was pure and honest about the car. And guess what? 6 months later I owned a first generation 911 and thought it was the greatest car the world had or could ever produce; one drive was all it took. Compared to the 356, it was a quantum leap. I wish I still had that car. That aesthetic continued through the 993, which IMO is the pinnacle of 911 development, including the latest models. So who knows? Maybe the Panamera will suprise us all in the end, just as I had to eat my words about the 911. Porsche is like that. the Boxster is growing on me now. I like the Cayman, but would find a way to kill those stupid lights in the front air intakes (ugh!). Even the Cayenne is beginning to attract me in the way a Lear Jet attracts me: if I needed fly something, it would be a small Lear Jet (what a neat machine), and if I wanted to haul something around, I would want a Cayenned Turbo. Give the Panamera a chance to grow on us and we might change our opinion.

Of course, they have yet to outdo the 928. Now that is something else altogether. Good luck topping that design.

The shot below I lifted from one posted in another concurrent thread. Lose the stubby, bulky nose and tail, lose the Carrera GT inspired fender vent behind the front wheel arch (ridiculous attempt to link to the Carrera GT), lose the fugly, grotesque rub strip along the body side ala Corvette and maybe they would have something worth seeing. Remember the Lambo Espada? That carried four people and their luggage quite elegantly in my opinion. But not this thing. If you want four people in speed, buy an Audi. Porsche needs some new heads in their design department.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ron_H; 09-26-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:07 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If it ends up being less appealing in looks than expected, thats really gonna compound the hit Porsche might take in sales. High end car sales are having a tough enough time as it is now. Unless of course things are better by next spring somehow. I know the past few months Brumos has been really hurting with their new P-car sales.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I find it hard to imagine Porsche would ever start with a totally clean slate of paper. All of their cars share some design elements.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A clean sheet of paper: The 904?? It spawned a whole generation of designs through the 917. How about the 928? From what P car was that derived?

Last edited by Ron_H; 09-26-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dr bob

What the crap - it looks like the front end was extended on the GT2 and given C6 Corvette headlights in that photo.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:00 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

A guy here in OKC put is money down for one this week.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Bill51sdr
Fleet of Foot
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
A guy here in OKC put is money down for one this week.
Sight unseen?? Yikes!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Glenn M
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a Crossfire at the back, I don't care for that either!
Glenn
Old 09-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Charley B
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both front and back look like camouflage to me.

Quick Reply: Newest spy shots of the Panamera