Notices

Newest spy shots of the Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:38 PM
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 547 Likes on 410 Posts

Porsche has done one or two little projects that bucked the early wishes of the pure-bloods. Ron mentioned the 911 (and 912 stepchild) projects. The recent Cayenne SUV project springs to mind. 'Who will ever buy one?' 'What are they thinking?' Now it's what they are selling. 914, 924, 944 projects drew at least as much criticism from the backmotor air-cooled cult members, and even the mighty 928 wasn't immune from some potshotting. Porsche sees itself growing into a market that includes the AMG sedans, the big Jaguars, and beyond into the Aston and maybe the big Ferrari's markets. My guess is that the actual car will be a lot prettier in person than the spy photos suggest.

I do want confirmation that this is the same group of critics who were defending the 928 against the 'bulbous whale' styling accusations in the last week...
Old 09-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Fabio421
Man of many SIGs
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Here it is with a little of the camo removed. I think that the seam at the rear window is likely not the real profile. I may try getting rid of that. I think that would make the car look less bloated back there.

Last edited by Fabio421; 01-22-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Jim bailey - 928 International
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was and am still very critical of the Cayenne so naturally I just bought my wife a Tauroge ,Tarauge , Torag, you know one of those VW wagons that still says VW on the front.... but for $15,000 not 60-90 K
Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 PM
6mil928
Race Car

Location: No where Oklahoma AKA "The Dust Bowl" In The Arm pit Of Hell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After looking at the picture I realize that it doesn't know what it's trying to be. To me it looks like a BMW mixed with a 911
Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I find it hard to imagine Porsche would ever start with a totally clean slate of paper. All of their cars share some design elements.
Have you looked at any car today? What about MB, BMW, Audi & VW to name a few and then we have Hyundai copying MB E class. At least it has its own unique look to Porsche liked or not.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Have you looked at any car today? What about MB, BMW, Audi & VW to name a few and then we have Hyundai copying MB E class. At least it has its own unique look to Porsche liked or not.
I don't think you read my post correctly. My comment was not a negative comment. I pointed out in response to the other Post expressing disappointment in it "looking like a Porsche", that all Porsches carry the same DNA. From the early up to the latest. I personally like that a Cayenne resembles a 997, a CGT, a Boxster and now apparently, a Panamera.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:29 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I don't think you read my post correctly. My comment was not a negative comment. I pointed out in response to the other Post expressing disappointment in it "looking like a Porsche", that all Porsches carry the same DNA. From the early up to the latest. I personally like that a Cayenne resembles a 997, a CGT, a Boxster and now apparently, a Panamera.
I read it correctly, didn't take it as a dig. I was pointing out that Porsche is no different than any other manufacturer today. Seems to be the signs of the times.

I still need to see it before i can love it or leave it. Hell it took me a few years to like the Cayenne. It wasn't until I actually drove it that I gained any respect for it. Now after owning a CT for a number of years I have great respect for it, I still prefer my other P-cars but if I had to have a practical car that seats 4 the CT so far does the job nicely. I might find this does it even better but I have no way of knowing until I have some seat time.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I read it correctly, didn't take it as a dig. I was pointing out that Porsche is no different than any other manufacturer today. Seems to be the signs of the times.

I still need to see it before i can love it or leave it. Hell it took me a few years to like the Cayenne. It wasn't until I actually drove it that I gained any respect for it. Now after owning a CT for a number of years I have great respect for it, I still prefer my other P-cars but if I had to have a practical car that seats 4 the CT so far does the job nicely. I might find this does it even better but I have no way of knowing until I have some seat time.
That was my point about the original 911. It seems to be true of all Porsches. My initial reaction to the '65 911 was disappointment. Then I drove one. Whoa!! What an improvement. I was stoked. I thought the 914 was a toy. Ha! Ha! Ha! Until I drove a 2.0 914 and my face cracked from the ear to ear grin. Then I got my 914/6 and I won't tell you how my body reacted to that. I still have it. But the biggest surprise was my 928. I was one of those "PCA Purist Snobs" who thought no P car could have a "large V-8" in the front and be watercooled and look so big. Not a real Porsche I said and left it at that. Then I drove one. HA! HA! HA! times ten!! I think I'll keep it forever. It IS a real Porsche; spend a 600 mile day in one at speed and realize how much of a Porsche it really is. I always tell people who don't know that the only way to appreciate a Porsche is to spend some serious time behind the wheel. At least two hours on the open road. Then you'll know. A fine machine. A well designed tool that works better than other tools/ I still haven't accepted the 996 even after a short drive, but I can appreciate the effectiveness of the form, even if I hate it. It is still a Porsche. I said the same thing about the 944....until I drove one. Another smile on my face. Neat car. It is more than 1/2 a 928, that's for sure.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:26 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Hmmm

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/spy-s...sche-panamera/
Old 09-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Charley B
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fake body panals. Porsche is the master at them.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
6mil928
Race Car

Is that thing rear engined and air cooled?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:34 PM
DANdeMAN
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looky here, this is a concept Peugeot RC HYmotion4...looks familiar...
I guess they are all going 4 doors.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:29 PM
6mil928
Race Car

Originally Posted by DANdeMAN
Looky here, this is a concept Peugeot RC HYmotion4...looks familiar...
I guess they are all going 4 doors.

Now I like this one a lot. Porsche should buy it and label it a Porsche
Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In fairness to Porsche, usually it takes some time with a particular model to realize how functional the forms and concepts really are, as opposed to being 'styled' or appeals to mass emotional trends and trite gimmicks. I don't like some of the latest body forms or even the evolution of the 911, but there is no doubt that those forms are functionally founded. The exception in my mind is the 996 dash and interior. Ugh!! Barf !!! Trendy in the extreme. So I say give the final product some time to prove its validity to your "eyes" and it may surprise you. Remember that the 356 didn't exactly win a popularity award, but it spawned what we have today, and it continues to have a fanatical following. Porsche doesn't have to please the whole world, just enough buyers to establish or maintain their niche. That means your neighbor might not think you're quite normal if you drive one........but that's the way it was for 356 owners. I didn't care then, and I care even less now, about what they think. I care about how my machine functions.

I'd like to see a new 928 that could out perform my current 928. Then I would pay attention.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 PM
6mil928
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ron_H
In fairness to Porsche, usually it takes some time with a particular model to realize how functional the forms and concepts really are, as opposed to being 'styled' or appeals to mass emotional trends and trite gimmicks. I don't like some of the latest body forms or even the evolution of the 911, but there is no doubt that those forms are functionally founded. The exception in my mind is the 996 dash and interior. Ugh!! Barf !!! Trendy in the extreme. So I say give the final product some time to prove its validity to your "eyes" and it may surprise you. Remember that the 356 didn't exactly win a popularity award, but it spawned what we have today, and it continues to have a fanatical following. Porsche doesn't have to please the whole world, just enough buyers to establish or maintain their niche. That means your neighbor might not think you're quite normal if you drive one........but that's the way it was for 356 owners. I didn't care then, and I care even less now, about what they think. I care about how my machine functions.

I'd like to see a new 928 that could out perform my current 928. Then I would pay attention.
I totally agree with your opinion. I just think Porsche should try to expand the super car image. Would anyone really care about the performance if they all looked like a Yugo? Style is very important in my book. If the 928 looked like crap I wouldn't have wanted one for all these years no matter how well it performed. The style is what I remembered.

Quick Reply: Newest spy shots of the Panamera