Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:59 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, I think you did just fine, I came up on you a few times in practice you held your line, one time I think you weren't expecting me along side going into the braking of the chicane and you forgot to brake, done that many times myself with someone coming up on me, losing concentration.
Sunday night is practice, see you there.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:51 AM
carmad
Advanced

Sorry I missed the race, I had eye surgery yesterday morning and was planning to run as I felt OK by mid afternoon. I fell asleep and missed the whole thing, residual anesthesia, probably would have fallen asleep at the wheel.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:08 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Steve and others that are new or struggling,

Keep at it, we love having you guys in the practices and races. Everyone learns at a different pace but the only way to improve is seat time. Keep at it as long as you want to and are having fun. If you want help, let any of us know, I'm sure we all will do what we can!

Tom
Old 01-23-2014, 11:09 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At least I wasn't the only one who got a "SLOW DOWN" coming out of the bus stop. I was a little irritated about it considering I was 2 laps down....

Also, someone mentioned getting a DQ for a damaged car. FYI to all if you do not pit when you get the flag for too much damage you get a DQ. Even if you're able to limp around the track they cut you off after you pass the pits. We get one fast repair in the pits, after that you'll be sitting for a bit getting your car repaired.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:20 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
Steve and others that are new or struggling,

Keep at it, we love having you guys in the practices and races. Everyone learns at a different pace but the only way to improve is seat time. Keep at it as long as you want to and are having fun. If you want help, let any of us know, I'm sure we all will do what we can!

Tom
Agreed.

Steve - you were just fine. You held your line, you were consistent - that's all anyone could ask for. (And actually... a lot of folks in iRacing in general have a hard time even doing that! So IMO you're already way ahead.) We all start somewhere. Some folks here have a ton of real-life wheel-to-wheel racing experience... and even THEY were the newbies once.

You'll get faster, quicker, if you jump in with us... sorta like the carrot dangling out front. Keep coming back. Keep racing.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Alright now that our weekly race is over I'm planning on setting up a fun run race on Friday night. So some of the new guys can jump in without having to buy another track I've decided on either Summit Point or Okayama. It will probably be 8pm (Est) Friday night and follow the same format as our points races.

Thoughts on which track? We can do the full or the short version of either track. I'm leaning towards Okayama because we've done summit once already this year.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:48 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Cool idea. Any interest is making it spec default car settings other than fuel? This way no one has to worry about setups, just driving?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:56 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
Cool idea. Any interest is making it spec default car settings other than fuel? This way no one has to worry about setups, just driving?
I don't have a problem running the baseline tune, that's what I ran last night. I like to make it as easy as possible for the new guys to run, I allow all driving aids and unlimited tows/repairs.

Also, George, Steve, and any of our other new guys these Fun Runs are a great way to get some good practice. We usually have less than 10 people running so it will give you more space if you're nervous.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe

I don't have a problem running the baseline tune, that's what I ran last night. I like to make it as easy as possible for the new guys to run, I allow all driving aids and unlimited tows/repairs.

Also, George, Steve, and any of our other new guys these Fun Runs are a great way to get some good practice. We usually have less than 10 people running so it will give you more space if you're nervous.
Any thought on using one of the free cars do the fun runs. The cars chosen as free cars are there to help "teach" car control.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:26 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indy Rev
Any thought on using one of the free cars do the fun runs. The cars chosen as free cars are there to help "teach" car control.
I really hate the miata, but if some of the new guys request that or the spec ford we can run either.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a sucker for the spec ford and continue to use it and the Skippy if I feel I need to work on something.
Just my .02 if guys are wanting to work on driving skills.

I've worked so much this week I could use a fun run, so ill more than likely join you Friday.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:33 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

It sucks that the skippy isn't a free car, I didn't realize that since I got my original free 3 months from skip barber they included that car.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:39 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

I'd say, stick to the RUFs. You know all our members have it and the more seat time in it the better. Bouncing back and forth between cars can be a tough challenge.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Farmer Steve
6th Gear

Just my opinion. I wouldn't want to use one of the free cars. Although I think they are by far the best way to learn iRacing, but this is a Porsche forum and I want to drive the RUF here which is why I joined the league. I just wish iRacing would strike a license deal with Porsche.

The car and track was new to me because I usually drive the Skippy which is designed for training in real life. And I will continue to focus in the Skippy series because I need more training. But with a Cayman sitting in my garage, it seems natural for me to join in with other Porsche members for some fun racing. Like HoBoJoe mentioned, these are "fun runs".

And despite sitting in the pits most of the race... I did have fun and learned that one should wait for the "optional" repairs to be made because the car was undriveable without them, which cost me another tow.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:43 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

While I agree with the "training" part... I think part of what keeps interest up from an RL perspective is driving the Porsches...

If you want a good training car - do the Skippy. Good visibility with no dash or pillars in the way, and teaches you throttle control and car balance very quickly. If it's gotta be a FREE car... IMO the Solstice is better at teaching car control than the Miata.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread