Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:49 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

baddogz28,

Congrats on the autox and iRacing certainly does help. I've been running autox for awhile now and I love and find iRacing helps.

George,

You should run, you were doing fine, closing speeds weren't dangerous at all and you held your line so passing was a non-issue. You'll continue to pick up speed as well as we go and race practice is the best kind getting used to the pressure/nerves.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:49 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

No dice George. Rule 3: If you are new to Race club, you have to race.

Seriously, no-one is going to yell at you. If someone does, I'll suspend them! That saying: 'if you can't win don't try' is bull****. It's hard to jump in when you feel in over your head, but it's the only way to learn. People will wreck and if you can stick with a pack, you'll finish in the points.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 PM
loxner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
George what kind of times are you running? I FINALLY got a lap in the 46s after going back to the baseline setup. Also, don't bow out if you think you're too slow. Just make sure your car is white or has the rookie/wreck paint job and everyone will give you space. The only way to improve is to get out there and race!
+1 to this. If you're getting lapped or passed by faster cars, just hold your line and be predictable and there should be no problems. Happens in real racing all the time.

Also, I know it's been mentioned before on here, but it's worth repeating - hop into the car with someone faster to see where they're gaining the time on you. This helped me tremendously when I first started. BUT, make sure you are riding along for one of their fast laps...it will be useless or even detrimental if you ride along for a really slow lap with them. You can click the arrows near where it says "Lap 13" etc, until you find a really fast time, then watch the lap before that time as the time shown is for the previous lap.

But definitely come out and race Wednesday...just be conservative on the start, and predictable throughout the race. We're all just here to have fun
Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
No dice George. Rule 3: If you are new to Race club, you have to race.

Seriously, no-one is going to yell at you. If someone does, I'll suspend them! That saying: 'if you can't win don't try' is bull****. It's hard to jump in when you feel in over your head, but it's the only way to learn. People will wreck and if you can stick with a pack, you'll finish in the points.
Agreed! Also, take a look at the results from last week. One of our newest members who JUST signed up for iracing finished 7th and took 6 points.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:05 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

+1 you have to show up, if you are constant you will do well.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:50 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Launching practice now.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

I just got out of a room with Luke but I'll hop in your's for a bit. Judging by the gap to Luke, I could use more practice, particularly in the chicane.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:58 PM
loxner

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
I just got out of a room with Luke but I'll hop in your's for a bit. Judging by the gap to Luke, I could use more practice, particularly in the chicane.
I have a love/hate relationship with the chicane. Such a fun and rewarding element when you nail it just right, but it's so easy to mess up and can cost you big time...especially if you get the dreaded "Slow Down You Cut The Course".

I'll join you guys in the session for a bit
Old 01-22-2014, 01:16 AM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm starting to notice a trend with my driving... I set a semi-quick lap early, then spend the rest of the session regressing until I take a step back and get off the sim, then something clicks the next day and I lop a couple seconds off without trying too hard. Lets hope that's the case this week.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:48 AM
Farmer Steve
6th Gear

I've been iRacing for a couple months... mostly in the Skippy because I need the training. When do you guys usually race and what track/car? I have the RUF models but haven't used them much yet.

You'll be glad to know I'm an old, retired farmer running it on a iMac, so you won't have to worry about me beating any of you. 08 Cayman base in real life.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:08 AM
George_B
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi All,

Thanks for the encouragement, I never said if i can't win i'm not going to try. Winning isn't even on the radar. I was in a GPL league many years ago and i think i got like one podium in two years. I don't mind so much being slow as being dangerous. My concern is that i seem to have no real "feel" for the track. Mostly turn one..... the last thing i want is to mess up someone else's race. On top of that i have some new pedals that i am just starting to get used to.

I'll be there for the start of practice tonight and well see how it goes. Again, I'm not quitting, just being careful.

Regards,
George (SpeedBump)
Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Farmer Steve
I've been iRacing for a couple months... mostly in the Skippy because I need the training. When do you guys usually race and what track/car? I have the RUF models but haven't used them much yet.

You'll be glad to know I'm an old, retired farmer running it on a iMac, so you won't have to worry about me beating any of you. 08 Cayman base in real life.
We run practice Sunday nights and practice/qualify/race on Wednesday night in the Ruf Track. Also we tend to have unplanned practice or race sessions at random times during the week. If you'd like to join the league either PM me your iracing name or apply to our league Rennlist Racers.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:02 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George_B
Hi All,

Thanks for the encouragement, I never said if i can't win i'm not going to try. Winning isn't even on the radar. I was in a GPL league many years ago and i think i got like one podium in two years. I don't mind so much being slow as being dangerous. My concern is that i seem to have no real "feel" for the track. Mostly turn one..... the last thing i want is to mess up someone else's race. On top of that i have some new pedals that i am just starting to get used to.

I'll be there for the start of practice tonight and well see how it goes. Again, I'm not quitting, just being careful.

Regards,
George (SpeedBump)
I've started learning the track enough to be able to run without the driving line. For turn one I'll probably be braking early during the race unless I can get it figured out in practice tonight. Currently I find my self braking to hard, then on the gas, then braking again. I have found that only going to 3rd gear on that turn makes things a bit easier.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:50 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

George,

The fastest line through turn 1 is a decreasing radius turn while almost clipping that first grass section on the left just after braking initially. That said, its much easier and more consistent to just turn that turn into two braking sections. One a bit early dropping from 6-4, then turning in a bit more while partially coming off the brakes and then braking harder again and dropping from 4-2 and getting to the inside of the turn just behind the tires/wall on the left tight to the apex. It's a lot easier to do that double braking zone turn and you only lose .2-.3 seconds doing the the much more conservative way. If you want, during warm-up practice tonight I can take you through the turn at 3/4 speed to show you that line and see if it helps? Also make sure your ABS settings is on 6 (default), it makes the car way more forgiving under heavy braking.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tips, I'm "working from home" today because of the weather so hopefully I can get some extra practice time in.

I find a lot of people are still running the baseline setup with just fuel adjusted. Luke was running 43s with the baseline.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread