Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:51 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
I need to find a series to run. After these years I'm still a D license despite a good irating and safety rating. With the new seasons starting, any suggestions?
Skippy is IMO a really good one to run. Some fast drivers in it, and the car is a fantastic trainer. Mazda isn't bad either, it's been a few years since I've campaigned in that series (finished 3rd in Div 2 back in 2008) but I recall it was sorta like a faster Skippy. Though I'm still of the opinion that if you want to learn better driving skills, the Skippy is the car to run.

I think the (now dead) Grand-Am series is a C-class series (meaning D4.0+) and both the DP and McLaren are easy to drive. Not sure what they're going to run next season though. That's the series I've participated in every winter for the last 2 years now.

Originally Posted by JustinL
I think Jim mentioned earlier about doing more practice starts. Is this something we should do? Maybe dedicate some time during the Sunday practice to heavy traffic situations. Running in close proximity to other drivers seems to be what is causing most of the incidents in our races.

I know conquering the emotions is what took me the longest in iracing and I still hear my heartbeat in my ear buds at the start of a race. Just the presence of another driver is often enough to distract someone enough into making mistakes. Luke was pretty much flawless until I started to be a feature in his mirrors.
Yes I suggested it and I agree. For sure I think we need to practice starts. That's why I was thinking of maybe making it a regular "thing" for our Sunday nights - the last 15-20 minutes, we just line up and practice starts. We line up, start, get around the first lap, then reset (so tires are cold) and do it again. Part of the challenge is that the cars behave differently on cold tires. If you spent the last 90 minutes hotlapping, with warm tires, then the race starts and you're on cold tires, it can be a disaster.

It almost bit me last night - I came very close to losing it a couple times on the first lap of the race. I'm glad the guys around me were able to avoid me!

Originally Posted by JustinL
My progression was: Solstice - Spec Racer Ford - Star Mazda - F1 - Gt cars
I started off, I was the second "class" in the series (there was one other group that was 12 weeks and generally one license class ahead), so I was always 1 series behind the latest-n-greatest. I started off in the Solstice as well, then moved up to the Skip when I got my D (full 12 weeks), then the Mazda when I got my C (another full 12 weeks). The B car was the Radical, and when they first released that car it was impossible to drive (unlike how it is today). At the time the FIRST "class" of drivers was running the newly-released DP. I did the bare minimum in the Radical to get my Safety Rating up above 4.0, and minimum participation requirements to get OUT of B at the end of that 12 week season, and otherwise spent all my time in the DP. I did 2 full 12-week seasons in the DP. Then I got my "Pro" license and held on to that for almost a year IIRC. Back then the Pro licenses were handed out based on a combination of Safety and iRating. My iRating was only in the low 3000s but I had one of the highest SR's in the service so that got me "in" and kept me "in" until they changed it. Now I think they select the Pro license solely based on iRating (there are a LOT more people in the service now than there were for the first couple Pro seasons so they have more people to pick from).

I kinda miss those days. The stripes and licenses meant a lot more back then.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:56 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Indy Rev
I didnt realize the Mustangs are a D class car now. Those are fun, but a bit slow.
They are indeed. I spent a lot of time with that car over the time it's been out too. They drive a bit differently though - they understeer like crazy on turn entry until you get the hang of their balance.

What I *really* like though is that someone posted a link to the official "Ford Racing" setup guide for the real-life race car, and so far, it works in iRacing too. I have it printed out and sitting next to my rig.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:35 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bobby, I need to get into a series to get out of Rookie status and wasn't sure when the next season started, seen the highlighting week13 on the front page but didn't know where to look for this info.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I kinda miss those days. The stripes and licenses meant a lot more back then.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:37 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pmason
Thanks Bobby, I need to get into a series to get out of Rookie status and wasn't sure when the next season started, seen the highlighting week13 on the front page but didn't know where to look for this info.
It was posted on the forums, I looked everywhere for it! FYI they are doing a new rookie series (legends car) I'm hoping to see what that's like after the update kicks in.

Here is the forum link: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/po...t/3233032.page

Last edited by HoBoJoe; 01-23-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 01-23-2014, 02:49 PM
loxner

Oh man, the Slo-stice...brings back great memories. That's practically the only car I drove for the first year or so after I got iRacing. That was back before leagues, and even hosted sessions. We had a big group that would all meet up in a certain practice session for 'pit parties' and run mock-races. Definitely some of the most fun I've had in the sim.

The Rennlist league has reminded me how much more fun iRacing is when you're out on track with friends, whether you know them in real life or through a forum.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

If anyone's interested Timing and Scoring is up for the Continental Tire Quals.
http://scoring.imsa.com/sportscar-challenge/
Old 01-23-2014, 03:45 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I actually made a couple friends just from seeing them regularly in some of the series I used to run. Jimbo Pfeiffer, Russell Hodgson, Lincoln Miner, Shawn Belleque are a few names that stick in my head. Couple of them worked for the same company I did, it turned out. We used to have lunch every couple weeks and sit around geeking out about iRacing LOL.

But yes - it's much more fun racing against people you know. Especially if you're at about the same ability level - makes the racing much more intense.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:51 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

That is something magical we have right now. We have such a spread of talent, you can usually find someone to run with which is the point.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Burkey
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sebring

Hey a couple of questions, what kind of times will everyone be running next week? As bumpy as the track is do you do anything with the set up?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:35 PM
loxner

What do ya know...they changed the line-up for the Daytona 2.4 race. It's now the Riley DP...and the Ruf RT12 TRACK (instead of C-spec). Since we're all fresh off Daytona, we could probably do pretty well in it. I'm going to be running some practice sessions in the series tonight if anybody wants to join.

It's under "Series" and then "Road Warrior".
Old 01-23-2014, 10:56 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll be hosting a practice at sebring in about ten mins.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Sean thought you'd like to know... I just poked around in one of the Road Warrior practice sessions at Daytona. I switched back to the default set from yours. Car *felt* the same... but I was stuck in the 45.5 range. No matter what I did... 45.5.

Switched back to yours... 2 laps in... 44.5. Few more laps... 44.0. All with 0 draft.

The laps felt identical... but yours was faster. I wouldn't have believed it had I gone straight off of my intuition and not looked at the times. Nice job!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:56 AM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just landed in Daytona

Anyone around tomorrow?

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 01-24-2014, 09:16 AM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Sean thought you'd like to know... I just poked around in one of the Road Warrior practice sessions at Daytona. I switched back to the default set from yours. Car *felt* the same... but I was stuck in the 45.5 range. No matter what I did... 45.5.

Switched back to yours... 2 laps in... 44.5. Few more laps... 44.0. All with 0 draft.

The laps felt identical... but yours was faster. I wouldn't have believed it had I gone straight off of my intuition and not looked at the times. Nice job!
Awesome. Nice times. I have been working on understanding the car more and how it reacts to aero and suspension changes using Atlas. Sounds like I'm on the right path. Now if I could just figure out what all the squiggly lines mean in the charts

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread