2024 Ugly Rear Skirt

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 09:18 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
so Porsche strategy is working by removing basic standard things and repackaging them with huge margin. I am not blaming you but am sure they have done their market research and know who their customers are and are trying to make as much profit out of them as possible.
Thats pretty much how most companies price their products. What will the market bear?
Old 09-18-2023, 09:23 AM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
Thats pretty much how most companies price their products. What will the market bear?
Yup. Voting with our wallets on luxury items (wants vs needs) is easier said than done.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:09 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by ambitin
I would never consider painting or filling the textured plastic. I want a new part that matches the factory part.
Plenty of people have done this very thing and you could never tell it wasn't factory. It's not impossible. You just need to find someone who has done it before.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:48 AM
Fahrfun
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

In the pic below I’ve outlined the lower extent of the boundary of the contentious black body panel that ought to be removable. Incidentally, that looks like the extent of the partially painted (as they describe it in the configurator) rear fascia of the $3600 sport design option as well. Although I couldn’t find this panel online yet for MY24, the 2023 and before factory primed bumper panels are readily available… meaning the EIII.2 version should become too some day if not already; and I wouldn’t be surprised if the factory primed panel from that sport design option is exactly the part we need.

Even with the unpainted sides remaining below the doors, the drop in the paint line on the bumper doesn’t scream bad and certainly no worse than the standard black panel that goes too far up and looks unfinished. I could live with that trade Furthermore, 99.99% of people walking by in a shopping parking lot will never see it. My family won’t notice and I won’t either because the angle the picture is taken from is not the way I look at cars on a daily basis. But approaching it from the rear everyday to open the trunk would definitely feel complete.

Below I added a hypothetical before and after from the configurator site “borrowing” the rear skirt from the so called sport design front fascia.

Last edited by Fahrfun; 09-19-2023 at 08:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fahrfun:
ambitin (09-19-2023), chassis (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 02:00 PM
ambitin
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrfun
...2023 and before factory primed bumper panels are readily available… meaning the EIII.2 version should become too some day if not already; and I wouldn’t be surprised if the factory primed panel from that sport design option is exactly the part we need.
This is probably the most viable option and one that any good bodyshop can easily handle. I wonder about the modular pieces such as the sensors (black on my car, painted in the option shown) and the tow-anchor covers.) I wonder, does this become a litany of things you have to buy, or just one part?
Old 09-19-2023, 02:17 PM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts

This is probably the most viable option and one that any good bodyshop can easily handle. I wonder about the modular pieces such as the sensors (black on my car, painted in the option shown) and the tow-anchor covers.) I wonder, does this become a litany of things you have to buy, or just one part?
if it needs new parts, plus labor etc from the body shop, we are talking min $2,000-2500 from a reputable body shop. Might as well get that front fascia package for $3600 and do it right. I would consider this route if cost stays around $1500
The following 2 users liked this post by mattsrs:
Electric Lizard (09-19-2023), Fahrfun (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 02:33 PM
Fahrfun
Instructor

Originally Posted by mattsrs
if it needs new parts, plus labor etc from the body shop, we are talking min $2,000-2500 from a reputable body shop. Might as well get that front fascia package for $3600 and do it right. I would consider this route if cost stays around $1500
Totally agree. South of $2k would be my return value happiness threshold.

Unfortunately for me, when my order locked last March, there still were no pictures of any of the sport design options on the configurator. I had no idea what I would have bought into. Hopefully most people will be okay with the default trim look. A shame that Porsche couldn’t just leave the gen 1 rear alone with the new fronts.

With regards to requiring extra parts, my guess is the two tow hole flaps might be extra and then a number of new installation clips (dirt cheap comparatively) as they occasionally break upon removal of the panel. The sensor cut outs I’m not sure with the Cayenne. On a recent X5 I saw them as part of the panel itself. The electronics were hidden behind and separate.

I’ll report back in this thread if and when I get cost figures for this undertaking…

Last edited by Fahrfun; 09-19-2023 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:10 PM
Fahrfun
Instructor

Well, I did not expect to get an answer this quickly from my dealership. The skirt panel alone, primed, is $1994 (!) from them. No other parts needed, except painting and installing.

However, one caveat he said… there is a suffix in the part number that looks suspicious and couldn’t confirm nor find out if it was option related, like self parking or other. That would take more time to investigate.

As @mattsrs mentioned before, the $3600 full kit is the better deal if going this route. And you’re okay with the different front look.

Last edited by Fahrfun; 09-19-2023 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:24 PM
ambitin
Instructor

Totally agree. South of $2k would be my return value happiness threshold.

Unfortunately for me, when my order locked last March, there still were no pictures of any of the sport design options on the configurator. I had no idea what I would have bought into.
Same here on both counts: I depend on my sales advisor to prevent me from making this kind of mistake but he didn't have any info and didn't give me that guidance. My order is already here and my wife is loving driving it. There isn't an option to edit my order .

And also, I'd really like to be all-in under $2000 for this to be a no-brainer. Above $2000, I start to think about all the other things I could be doing with that money.

Thanks to those giving all the great info on this thread. I need to talk to my wife tonight because she wants this "fixed" but this is starting to sound like something closer to $3000 all-in.

The following users liked this post:
Fahrfun (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 03:33 PM
Fahrfun
Instructor

this is starting to sound like something closer to $3000 all-in.
Yep. My mind is already going… “you’re well into over $100k already, so what’s another $3k + ?
Old 09-19-2023, 04:33 PM
ambitin
Instructor

Yep. My mind is already going… “you’re well into over $100k already, so what’s another $3k + ?
Yeah, but that's $3k coming out of the budget for MY next car (this one is my wife's)!
Old 09-19-2023, 04:44 PM
Fahrfun
Instructor

Yeah, but that's $3k coming out of the budget for MY next car (this one is my wife's)!
Give up the iPhones. Not!
ambitin (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 05:17 PM
philippe911
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

strangely TGT have same plastics............and more( wheels arch)

for me plastic for off road car isn,t bad and more resistant from scrach or rocks?? (it's in the spirit of the car?)
Old 09-19-2023, 05:48 PM
Fahrfun
Instructor

Originally Posted by philippe911
strangely TGT have same plastics............and more( wheels arch)

for me plastic for off road car isn,t bad and more resistant from scrach or rocks?? (it's in the spirit of the car?)
It ultimately boils down to personal cosmetic preferences. There is no right or wrong. To me, the new front spells autobahn. Maybe the rear is supposed to inspire off-road. But to me it screams cheap and unfinished in this price category. Maybe allows Porsche to share more parts between the SUV body and the coupe to save cost?… I still favor the previous design (sigh)

Last edited by Fahrfun; 09-19-2023 at 05:52 PM.
ambitin (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 06:57 PM
its_so_fluffy
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by T16ole
My view point.

I don’t dislike it without the sport design pack “SDP”

The bottom of the doors are more of an issue to me than the rear bumper.

The lack of SDP looks worse on black and crayon. Part the reason I went for Montego blue.

It does look better with the SDP.

I wouldn’t look to change it afterward. My days of aftermarket colour coding are over.

I didn’t tick the box. I spent the money instead on rear axle steer & PDCC.

All the above are obviously only my opinion.

Oh hey, my European cousin. I like the High Gloss Black trims, I kept the Aluminums

The following 2 users liked this post by its_so_fluffy:
ambitin (09-19-2023), chassis (09-20-2023)

Quick Reply: 2024 Ugly Rear Skirt