Sponsored By:

2024 Ugly Rear Skirt

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 06:02 PM
jo2134
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Street King
At night, probably. At day time the plastic rear is still very noticeable. I configured my CS with Quartzite Grey and I also thought the plastic rear would blend fine with the grey paint, however I changed my mind immediately when I saw a base grey Cayenne with the plastic rear at our dealer. I added the sport design front fascia and glad I did

Looks great. Exact same boat as you Quartzite Grey and all. I am very relieved I ended up adding it.

That being said I kind of wish I paid the extra $3k for the full Sport Design package
The following 2 users liked this post by jo2134:
chassis (05-04-2024), whistler80 (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 06:12 PM
whistler80
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

I did worry a lot that I hadn't chosen it but with Algarve Blue (and probably any really dark colour) it's not as noticeable, only in a certain light.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 09:22 PM
Talon38c
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm pretty jazzed with the way it looks on the Quartzite Grey. It could lighten up over time but I have no regrets with this combo.
The following 3 users liked this post by Talon38c:
Electric Lizard (05-04-2024), mdrobc1213 (06-10-2024), whistler80 (05-05-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 09:24 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Talon38c

I'm pretty jazzed with the way it looks on the Quartzite Grey. It could lighten up over time but I have no regrets with this combo.
That combination does look really good.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ericson38:
chassis (05-04-2024), Electric Lizard (05-04-2024), mgx1020 (05-05-2024), whistler80 (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 12:03 PM
ambitin
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jo2134
Looks great. Exact same boat as you Quartzite Grey and all. I am very relieved I ended up adding it.

That being said I kind of wish I paid the extra $3k for the full Sport Design package
I spent some time playing around in the configurator and the full sport design package looks amazing in the darker colors but in my opinion, with it the front end grill looks a bit over-wrought in the lighter colors (including Carmine Red).

The sport design package looks amazing in Quartzite Grey Metallic and is probably what I would choose if building a new one.

Last edited by ambitin; 05-05-2024 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:16 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

In the process of specing a highly optioned Quartzite Cayenne S. Initially was leaning towards the sport design pack, but now leaning towards specing PDCC instead. Visually I think both look great.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:41 PM
ambitin
Instructor

Now that I'm working with a body shop to "fix" my incorrectly optioned 2024 Cayenne S, here is what I learned.

If I was ordering from scratch, I agree with previous posts that what I should have gotten is the SportDesign Front Fascia ($3610). This carries additional paint along the side and back of the car without going as far as the full-on SportDesign Package.

To enhance contrast, this is my car rendered in white:

If you add the SportDesign Front, you get this:

Now if you only replace the rear bumper (what I'm trying to do), you end up with some asymmetry in the rear wheel arch painting because on the front of the wheel the small filler panel will be black plastic but on the back of the wheel it will be painted:

So this is where I am.
  • I need the rear bumper assembly from the SportDesign Front Fascia
    • that appears to be three new pieces:
      • two small wheel-arch extensions
      • the mid-rear bumper
    • the plastic surround near the exhaust tips appears unmodified in either case
    • I have upgraded wheels so the top part of my wheel arches is already painted body color
  • the black plastic along the bottom of the doors and the small bridge piece at the front of the rear wheel arch will not line up with the rear end
Here is a mockup of the resulting look:

In the case of my wife's car, because she has the dark blue (Algarve Blue Metallic), I don't think this asymmetry will be noticeable.

Here is the algarve blue metallic base look (what I have, womp womp):

And here is the same "hybrid" view in algarve blue:

So basically I'm going to spend about $4000 and tons of wasted time when I could have spent $3600 for something visually superior. Oh well. I'll post pictures if I ever get this done (body shop says the parts will take at least 4-5 weeks to arrive).

Last edited by ambitin; 05-05-2024 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:52 PM
Gus22
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ambitin
Now that I'm working with a body shop to "fix" my incorrectly optioned 2024 Cayenne S, here is what I learned.

If I was ordering from scratch, I agree with previous posts that what I should have gotten is the SportDesign Front Fascia ($3610). This carries additional paint along the side and back of the car without going as far as the full-on SportDesign Package.

Now if you only replace the rear bumper (what I'm trying to do), you end up with some asymmetry in the rear wheel arch painting because on the front of the wheel the small filler panel will be black plastic but on the back of the wheel it will be painted:

So this is where I am.
      • the mid-rear bumper
    • I have upgraded wheels so the top part of my wheel arches is already painted body color
  • the black plastic along the bottom of the doors and the small bridge piece at the front of the rear wheel arch will not line up with the rear end

In the case of my wife's car, because she has the dark blue (Algarve Blue Metallic), I don't think this asymmetry will be noticeable.

So basically I'm going to spend about $4000 and tons of wasted time when I could have spent $3600 for something visually superior. Oh well. I'll post pictures if I ever get this done (body shop says the parts will take at least 4-5 weeks to arrive).

why don’t you just get a new allocation for an S or gts, trade yours in, and just be done with it. Just seems like a lot of work and you aren’t happy with it. I don’t know I guess that’s what I would do. Plus I wonder what all this aftermarket stuff would do to the value of the vehicle. Maybe I’m wrong. But the other side is if you plan on keeping it a long time then what better reason to make what YOU want. My 2 cents if it’s worth anything.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:58 PM
ambitin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gus22
why don’t you just get a new allocation for an S or gts, trade yours in, and just be done with it. Just seems like a lot of work and you aren’t happy with it. I don’t know I guess that’s what I would do. Plus I wonder what all this aftermarket stuff would do to the value of the vehicle. Maybe I’m wrong. But the other side is if you plan on keeping it a long time then what better reason to make what YOU want. My 2 cents if it’s worth anything.
It's really a matter of economics. If I trade in for a '25, I probably lose $25k? Maybe more? Or I can spend $4000 and have almost what I should have gotten. The body shop I'm using does superb work and it will look as if it came from the factory. I don't think there will be a hit on resale as it's just a slightly different configuration of factory parts.

But yeah, ideally this should have been ordered to look good from the very beginning: I 100% blame my sales advisor for not catching this. I'm not sure what his cut is of a full retail purchase, but I don't think he earned his money this time around.

Last edited by ambitin; 05-05-2024 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:35 PM
whistler80
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

So this is where I am.
      • the mid-rear bumper

I didn't see the 'Fascia' only package - I was slightly rushed in choosing as my delivery date was brought forward - I would have gone for that if I'd known as I didn't want the whole Sports Design Package either. Once I got my car (Algarve Blue) it doesn't bother me, it's only in certain light conditions you notice it.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:45 PM
Guards Red Car
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there such a thing as Body Color PPF that could be applied directly to the black plastic fascia?
Old 05-05-2024, 01:59 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards Red Car
Is there such a thing as Body Color PPF that could be applied directly to the black plastic fascia?
you can probably find wrap that is a very close color, that would look the same to common person’s eye. however, i imagine you would see the plastic texture under the wrap which may look fine, or it may drive you nuts. just depends on the person.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:11 PM
ambitin
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
you can probably find wrap that is a very close color, that would look the same to common person’s eye. however, i imagine you would see the plastic texture under the wrap which may look fine, or it may drive you nuts. just depends on the person.
Yes, I'm cursed and will see that kind of thing. My body shop said they could sand down the existing plastic and paint it to match the body but that it might not be a perfect match and I immediately said "no".
Old 05-05-2024, 04:50 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 295 Posts

Yes, I'm cursed and will see that kind of thing. My body shop said they could sand down the existing plastic and paint it to match the body but that it might not be a perfect match and I immediately said "no".
i think what they are saying is that if they don’t blend u might see it. from what i understand the bumpers are painted separate and they are typically very slightly a different color than the car already off the lot. they r painted in different circumstances at a different time. if u can’t see that difference then you will probably be fine. maybe porsche goes to extra lengths to prevent this but that is my understanding of the car manufacturing process.

too me it all looks the same, i am saying some people claim they can see a color difference.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 05-05-2024 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:59 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

I would think they would first apply a binder coat (plastic >> paint), and then a couple of coats of high build primer, which you could easily hand sand smooth, and then apply the base coat/tint coat/clear coat for the color (like Dolomite Silver in my case).

The texture on the stock blank panels is very fine, but I would be surprised that they would just try to hand sand those smooth.

Quick Reply: 2024 Ugly Rear Skirt