Sponsored By:

2024 Ugly Rear Skirt

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 06:38 PM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by bearcat2000
I do like the new front end as it is evolutionary of the 19-23. However I can live with small differentiations of the front end vs the regressionary minivan rear end and interior. Holy crap is it bad.

every time I see the interiors side by side, I get more pissed by how much corner Porsche have cut
Old 05-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Vapordan
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I was at the dealer last week and I saw a white new Cayenne 24 in the flesh from the back. Something aint right back there. It did not come across that way in the pics online, but in real life it has a thin width profile and its tall. I recalled the rx300 ‘camry on stilts’ description when those had just come out. The coupe looks good from the back but the SUV. I think it is the tallness throwing me off. Now I can’t unsee it. Ugh
Old 05-03-2024, 01:24 AM
E'TLS
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
every time I see the interiors side by side, I get more pissed by how much corner Porsche have cut
Unfortunately, for buyers who have never owned a previous-year Cayenne, the 2024 Cayenne is a beauty to them. It seems that Porsche is more interested in attracting new Cayenne buyers rather than retaining existing Cayenne owners who want to trade up.

The following users liked this post:
i386_64 (05-04-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 02:16 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 277 Posts

this guy is in the biz (video link below) and has a lot of thoughts on design. car companies pay him for his opinions. and what i took away from this video i that there is a school of simplification at play. for instance this guy dings audi for having stalks on the steering column. at the same time he dings audi for a touch volume **** - you move ur finger but there is no ****. i found it interesting how he dings both. imo it was incongruent to thrash the steering column stalks. then thrash not having real volume ****. point is, they are trying to “clean” things up. and when that is done sacrifices are made. somethings are probably cost saving too, but the electrics on the road are influencing the industry on “clean” design. i personally do not want a tesla like interior. i find it stark. but in the opinion of designers i think what is going on is that they want the new cayenne to look relevant. the prior ones are looking fairly legacy by comparison. lots of buttons and stuff. the new ones have a new design strategy. like it. don’t like it. i think that is what is going on. i rather have a tradition rotating headlight control. we don’t get it in the 2024. we get the dumb one button that you have to use to cycle thru. i don’t want to cycle thru. it sucks. but influencers like it. so that is what we are getting.

https://youtu.be/m51YTOJFZEw?si=4mYMfkbxr80C26nQ
Old 05-03-2024, 09:26 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 530 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by bearcat2000
I do like the new front end as it is evolutionary of the 19-23. However I can live with small differentiations of the front end vs the regressionary minivan rear end and interior. Holy crap is it bad.

I wish I could agree. To me, the headlights of the 19-23 looked integrated into the lines of the bodywork. The 24 headlights look severe and "in your face". The difference reminds me of why I bought nearly the last 2000 Lexus LS400 manufactured instead of a 2001 Lexus LS430. But I later regretted not getting the technology of the newer Lexus which why I would choose a 2024 Cayenne even if I didn't like its new look.

Old 05-03-2024, 11:42 AM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
The biggest thing I see in the interior shot is the abbreviated inside door opening latch on the 2024. When I drove one a couple of months ago, I thought it was worse in real life than even the pictures showed. Is there a vehicle today that is equipped with ones smaller than this? But you can still light a cigarette??
Old 05-03-2024, 02:19 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ericson38
The biggest thing I see in the interior shot is the abbreviated inside door opening latch on the 2024. When I drove one a couple of months ago, I thought it was worse in real life than even the pictures showed. Is there a vehicle today that is equipped with ones smaller than this? But you can still light a cigarette??
tesla has no latch so that is pretty small.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:38 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 1,017 Posts

The .2 interior door release is an example of egregious cheapening. As is the reduction of square inches in leather-in-color, rear unpainted black plastic bumper fascia and the elimination of bright finish on seat control buttons in late .1.

In general Porsche has been glaringly de-contenting 9Y0 since 2021. Return of the V8 to S trim is a welcomed .2 improvement, and the front end appearance.

Overall, .1 is a more luxurious vehicle, for like-optioned vehicles.

Last edited by chassis; 05-03-2024 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:13 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
tesla has no latch so that is pretty small.
Right. I would have a push button controlled solenoid actuated latch too if I was sitting on top of 80,000 watt-hours of electricity.

Here they are receiving a major upgrade.

Tesla has incorporated new door exit buttons on the Model Y - Drive Tesla (driveteslacanada.ca)
Old 05-03-2024, 07:20 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 222 Posts

@ambitin your post made it easy to identify a 2024 going the opposite direction, by simply checking my mirror after they passed. Kinda looked like a 2024 from the front but wasn’t sure until I saw the back end.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:10 PM
jo2134
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by E'TLS
Unfortunately, for buyers who have never owned a previous-year Cayenne, the 2024 Cayenne is a beauty to them. It seems that Porsche is more interested in attracting new Cayenne buyers rather than retaining existing Cayenne owners who want to trade up.
This is again a very subjective topic of course. I am a first time Cayenne buyer I bought my 24’ S back in December. While I agree that the rear without any of the painted options doesn’t look great, the painted rear or Sport Design rear both look great. I never even considered the Cayenne before the 24’ refresh as the exterior looked so old compared to its competitors especially the front end and headlights. Before buying my 21’ X5MC I took a look at the Cayenne and steered away from it due to its old looking exterior design. I have spent time in the 9Y0.1 (my neighbor at work as a 23’ GTS) and in my honest opinion the only thing superior to the 24’ is the leather quality. The cleaned up interior looks like a 24’ car. While the .1 did have a nice interior the actual design looked a generation behind.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me the 24 is a winner in design all around and only loses in leather quality and interior bits such as door handles and seat controls.

Last edited by jo2134; 05-03-2024 at 11:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jo2134:
chassis (05-03-2024), whistler80 (05-04-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 11:00 PM
Talon38c
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

On the Quartzite Grey Metallic the rear skirt is a non-issue since it blends pretty well with the paint and provides just a hint of contrast.
chassis (05-03-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 01:40 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ericson38
Right. I would have a push button controlled solenoid actuated latch too if I was sitting on top of 80,000 watt-hours of electricity.

Here they are receiving a major upgrade.

Tesla has incorporated new door exit buttons on the Model Y - Drive Tesla (driveteslacanada.ca)
what i think is interesting is that there is no emergency release latch on the rear doors in a model 3, yet many many ubers are model 3s. is there an upgrade to the door release button other than it having a more logical icon?
Old 05-04-2024, 05:54 PM
Street King
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Talon38c
On the Quartzite Grey Metallic the rear skirt is a non-issue since it blends pretty well with the paint and provides just a hint of contrast.
At night, probably. At day time the plastic rear is still very noticeable. I configured my CS with Quartzite Grey and I also thought the plastic rear would blend fine with the grey paint, however I changed my mind immediately when I saw a base grey Cayenne with the plastic rear at our dealer. I added the sport design front fascia and glad I did

jo2134 (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 06:02 PM
whistler80
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jo2134
This is again a very subjective topic of course. I am a first time Cayenne buyer I bought my 24’ S back in December. While I agree that the rear without any of the painted options doesn’t look great, the painted rear or Sport Design rear both look great. I never even considered the Cayenne before the 24’ refresh as the exterior looked so old compared to its competitors especially the front end and headlights. Before buying my 21’ X5MC I took a look at the Cayenne and steered away from it due to its old looking exterior design. I have spent time in the 9Y0.1 (my neighbor at work as a 23’ GTS) and in my honest opinion the only thing superior to the 24’ is the leather quality. The cleaned up interior looks like a 24’ car. While the .1 did have a nice interior the actual design looked a generation behind.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me the 24 is a winner in design all around and only loses in leather quality and interior bits such as door handles and seat controls.

I agree, I looked Cayenne's over a decade ago, never really warmed to them, but when I saw the new shape last year it was the first time I really liked the shape and design. I still look at old Cayenne's and think they're ugly to me. Each to his own.

Last edited by whistler80; 05-04-2024 at 06:04 PM.
jo2134 (05-04-2024)

Quick Reply: 2024 Ugly Rear Skirt