Sponsored By:

GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 08:17 PM
Baldrekr
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lphiesmacks10
If you can, pull the code to see if it is the same was the 2021s are seeing.
2022 also here and I've had a few CELs that go away. Sometimes the code reader doesn't pull anything even though the CEL is on and eventually after a couple of starts it goes away. Usually is happens after charging. One time, a code did code through and it was P0562 - System Voltage Low.
I bought ODBLink MX+ ODB2 (previously suggested on this thread), and the code is "P26B1" which seems to be relatively unknown on the internet and not associated with Porsches.

Old 01-25-2022, 05:48 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Baldrekr
I bought ODBLink MX+ ODB2 (previously suggested on this thread), and the code is "P26B1" which seems to be relatively unknown on the internet and not associated with Porsches.
Take it into Bellevue or Tacoma. I've taken mine to both and both have said this is waiting on a software fix. I have a different code than yours though. But then again, I have thrown different codes in the past.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:24 PM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
grrr - I’ve not charged the vehicle driven 1155 miles - CEL showed up after a fueling stop - U0122 and U0141 (new code for fun) - fun fun fun continues. Code provided to local service for diagnosis - I’ll update when I know more.
Hey Dave,
Did you have your dealer check what U0141 was for? I just pulled that code. Wondering if it is related to U0122.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:18 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

For those of you who've noted your CEL issues in this thread (and who have not already done so), please state whether you have the 3.6- or the 7.2-kW onboard charger. I may have missed something, but I've not noticed that anybody with the base 3.6-kW charger has had this problem.

As for the discussion about why get the Cayenne E-Hybrid: like Dave (and others here), I'm done with buying vehicles that lack a plug, for all the obvious reasons. I have gotten rid of my 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid, which I liked but was too impractical (and had the smaller 14-kWh battery pack that was too frustrating because of my inability to drive round-trip to work on electric-only). I need something with more ground clearance and a little more interior space -- so reluctantly SUVs. My wife drives a RAV4 Prime, which is great because it consistently gets 50 miles of all-electric driving around town (speeds < 45 mph), as her daily driver. Toyotas are not my cup of tea; we've also long had Volvos and Porsches. We both do long road trips to see family across the US, sometimes together and sometimes separately, so we're not ready for BEVs yet due to the public-charging infrastructure being so poor in the places we go (upper midwest, especially). Plus, there are so many early hiccups with all the "early" BEVs that I'm just ready to wait a couple more years before getting one (I'm not into Teslas). So, one more PHEV for me, and then full BEV is the plan in 3-4 yr. I came super-close to buying a Cross Turismo with the offroad-design package that a local dealer had here about 6 weeks ago, but couldn't quite do it (yet ... it's still on my future-plans list).

I wasn't looking at Volvo until recently, when they upgraded their PHEV battery packs to 18.8 kWh (just coming to US dealerships in the coming month or two now), which suddenly puts them in the running for me to get an XC60 T8 PHEV (with the Cayenne E-Hybrid as its only competition in my mind). There have been some issues with Volvo T8 SUVs, as well, but nothing as consistent as this CEL issue (and the common infotainment-screen problems) in the Cayenne E-Hybrid ... which makes me pause on the Cayenne and think more about the Volvo XC60. The other thing that I'm looking at (not easily) is what the actual "around town" all-electric range is in the current (17.8-kWh battery) Cayenne -- not easy because so few people seem interested to provide this figure. Unfortunately, these vehicles are not available for test-driving these days, with the chip shortage meaning that they tend to be sold before they arrive at dealerships. One YouTube car reviewer (MotoMan, I think) said he only got 15 miles of all-electric driving in the new Cayenne before the ICE kicked in, but I think he broke his own rule and started driving hills around L.A.; I want to hear what people are getting in local driving in terms of full all-electric driving range from full charge to depleted at driving speeds < 45 mph and on fairly level driving (i.e., not more than 100 feet of elevation changes) -- which is the most typical driving that I do (and I suspect most drivers do) in their daily commutes. There are some early reports that the XC60 "extended-range" PHEV (18.8-kWh battery) is getting 30 miles of all-electric driving easily; if the Cayenne can't do that, it may lose out.

And then there's Oliver Blume's report at the 2021 annual press conference last year that all E-Hybrids will soon be upgraded to have 80 km (50 miles) of all-electric range -- indicating that Porsche HQ understands that people don't just buy E-Hybrids for "performance" but also for driving in E-Power mode for their local driving. I have written to Porsche Stuttgart and dialogued with Porsche Atlanta, asking them when the upgrade will happen; I've gotten responses from both, but they're just the polite "thank you for your email", and "we'll put out the news when we have it". If I knew that Porsche was putting out an E-Hybrid for MY2023 with a 25- to 28-kWh battery pack (which is roughly what it would take for 80 km of electric range), I'd wait for that, for sure -- hoping that the CEL issue (and infotainment problems) are ironed out by then. So I wait impatiently and continue to read these forums and online reviews/news to learn more about what's going on from owners, from reviewers (who get information from Porsche), and from Porsche ... and, of course, keeping in touch with Porsche dealerships to hear what they learn.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 03:43 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
For those of you who've noted your CEL issues in this thread (and who have not already done so), please state whether you have the 3.6- or the 7.2-kW onboard charger. I may have missed something, but I've not noticed that anybody with the base 3.6-kW charger has had this problem.

As for the discussion about why get the Cayenne E-Hybrid: like Dave (and others here), I'm done with buying vehicles that lack a plug, for all the obvious reasons. I have gotten rid of my 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid, which I liked but was too impractical (and had the smaller 14-kWh battery pack that was too frustrating because of my inability to drive round-trip to work on electric-only). I need something with more ground clearance and a little more interior space -- so reluctantly SUVs. My wife drives a RAV4 Prime, which is great because it consistently gets 50 miles of all-electric driving around town (speeds < 45 mph), as her daily driver. Toyotas are not my cup of tea; we've also long had Volvos and Porsches. We both do long road trips to see family across the US, sometimes together and sometimes separately, so we're not ready for BEVs yet due to the public-charging infrastructure being so poor in the places we go (upper midwest, especially). Plus, there are so many early hiccups with all the "early" BEVs that I'm just ready to wait a couple more years before getting one (I'm not into Teslas). So, one more PHEV for me, and then full BEV is the plan in 3-4 yr. I came super-close to buying a Cross Turismo with the offroad-design package that a local dealer had here about 6 weeks ago, but couldn't quite do it (yet ... it's still on my future-plans list).

I wasn't looking at Volvo until recently, when they upgraded their PHEV battery packs to 18.8 kWh (just coming to US dealerships in the coming month or two now), which suddenly puts them in the running for me to get an XC60 T8 PHEV (with the Cayenne E-Hybrid as its only competition in my mind). There have been some issues with Volvo T8 SUVs, as well, but nothing as consistent as this CEL issue (and the common infotainment-screen problems) in the Cayenne E-Hybrid ... which makes me pause on the Cayenne and think more about the Volvo XC60. The other thing that I'm looking at (not easily) is what the actual "around town" all-electric range is in the current (17.8-kWh battery) Cayenne -- not easy because so few people seem interested to provide this figure. Unfortunately, these vehicles are not available for test-driving these days, with the chip shortage meaning that they tend to be sold before they arrive at dealerships. One YouTube car reviewer (MotoMan, I think) said he only got 15 miles of all-electric driving in the new Cayenne before the ICE kicked in, but I think he broke his own rule and started driving hills around L.A.; I want to hear what people are getting in local driving in terms of full all-electric driving range from full charge to depleted at driving speeds < 45 mph and on fairly level driving (i.e., not more than 100 feet of elevation changes) -- which is the most typical driving that I do (and I suspect most drivers do) in their daily commutes. There are some early reports that the XC60 "extended-range" PHEV (18.8-kWh battery) is getting 30 miles of all-electric driving easily; if the Cayenne can't do that, it may lose out.

And then there's Oliver Blume's report at the 2021 annual press conference last year that all E-Hybrids will soon be upgraded to have 80 km (50 miles) of all-electric range -- indicating that Porsche HQ understands that people don't just buy E-Hybrids for "performance" but also for driving in E-Power mode for their local driving. I have written to Porsche Stuttgart and dialogued with Porsche Atlanta, asking them when the upgrade will happen; I've gotten responses from both, but they're just the polite "thank you for your email", and "we'll put out the news when we have it". If I knew that Porsche was putting out an E-Hybrid for MY2023 with a 25- to 28-kWh battery pack (which is roughly what it would take for 80 km of electric range), I'd wait for that, for sure -- hoping that the CEL issue (and infotainment problems) are ironed out by then. So I wait impatiently and continue to read these forums and online reviews/news to learn more about what's going on from owners, from reviewers (who get information from Porsche), and from Porsche ... and, of course, keeping in touch with Porsche dealerships to hear what they learn.
well said - I agree with everyting - and share similar rational…I’m done with pure ICE vehicles unless they are “special” - a GT3 for example fits the “special” criteria…

EV or Hybrid from here on out unless it’s special.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:15 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone receive any type of update from Porsche yet? I pinged my rep and no updates.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:34 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

no updates - still “pending” according to my Service Manager
Old 02-28-2022, 04:39 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

we’ve got so far:
  • Taycan CT?? - do we add this to the list? Wife rejected it because low seating postion and no opening sun-roof
  • Rivian SUV - but Porsche will have their full BEV out before I could get an Rivian SUV
Yes Taycan S/CT!! Ditch the wife. Will be interesting to see how the Rivian R1S plays out once released. Looks good on paper - only time will tell.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:41 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 935 Posts

How many months you have had the CEL on your car and Porsche service unable to resolve it?
Old 02-28-2022, 04:59 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
How many months you have had the CEL on your car and Porsche service unable to resolve it?
since purchase in April of 2021…I considered lemoning hte car, but ultimately getting a replacement and equivalent vehicle was not a clear option - in the mean time Porsche has provide generous consideration in exchange for me patiently waiting for the software update - utlimately it’s a joke this is an issue and confirms my bias that all car manufactures suck, and if you believe any of them are actually better than another you’re simply biased or not paying attention - but so far I’ve driven the car, love the car, tolerate the CEL until it’s fixed and got some meaningful accommodations from Porsche.

it will be better when this problem is fixed for the fleet.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:24 PM
Stubbyatl
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Yes Taycan S/CT!! Ditch the wife. Will be interesting to see how the Rivian R1S plays out once released. Looks good on paper - only time will tell.
We have a R1S coming to take the place of my wife’s pilot, supposedly in first hall of 2023. That will be a nice complement to the Cayenne ehybrid.I don’t see anything that’s comparable out there, or that will be available by then. The BMW and Cadillac are smaller, the Macan is MUCH smaller, And I want no part of a Hummer, Tesla model X and/or cybertruck.

Last edited by Stubbyatl; 02-28-2022 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:31 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 935 Posts

since purchase in April of 2021…I considered lemoning hte car, but ultimately getting a replacement and equivalent vehicle was not a clear option - in the mean time Porsche has provide generous consideration in exchange for me patiently waiting for the software update - utlimately it’s a joke this is an issue and confirms my bias that all car manufactures suck, and if you believe any of them are actually better than another you’re simply biased or not paying attention - but so far I’ve driven the car, love the car, tolerate the CEL until it’s fixed and got some meaningful accommodations from Porsche.

it will be better when this problem is fixed for the fleet.
The more and more I read these Cayenne and Macan sub forums, the more I am coming to the conclusion that the only commonality between these models and the 911 is the "Porsche" wording. They are almost like a completely different brand. The way in which Porsche addresses issues with GT3s in 911 Models historically for example (engine fires, oil consumption, oil leaks, etc) is nothing like these Cayenne issues. The CELs, the thermostat problems, the valve spring recalls, 3G is down and no fix. I'm quite disappointed in how they treat Cayenne.

I have a Shelby GT350 with as of this posting 76,009 miles (not a typo). It has had 4 repairs total in its lifetime (3 of which were completely my fault). It's a $60,000 car and has been extremely reliable. I have had a F10 M5 that I have owned for 45,000 miles, it has had 1 mechanical failure. These are not typos. My GT3RS has been extremely bullet proof.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 02-28-2022 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:39 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

i’ve own several porsche’s since 2008

generally they are reliable, but no more reliable than other vehicles I’ve owned…my wife’s Boxster got a new PDK @ 3000 miles, my 911 GT3 has 3G issues with no parts insight, and my 997.2 GT3 had phantom engine shutdown issues prosche was _NEVER_ able to diagnose but ultimately resolve when we found a wiring harness was “resting” on the top of the motor and it would short out under heavy track use, but never fail in diagnosis at porsche service - once we addressed the wire harness the GT3 was 100% reliable, but came from the factory with a nearly undiagnosable problem.

My 2017 Model X had 52,000 miles when I sold it and zero issues since delivery - but it replaced a 2016 Model X that I made Tesla Lemon…

I’ve had relaible Tesla’s, unreliable Honda’s/Porsches/Lexus, great Chevy’s, and I drove a BMW off the lot and it needed a new motor and transmission 75 miles later that BMW took 3 months to execute…

I’ll spare you the details of porsche releasing the Taycan with software bugs, no actual OTA ability, and a vehicle that would drain it’s 12V battery such that the car is dead while it’s plugged into a 240V/40 amp power source, but can’t keep the 12V battery from dying…just name a few problems with the Taycan roll out.

you can not convince me any of these vendors are any good, they are great if there are no problems, but once you have problems they are all the same, and they all have problems.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 02-28-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:50 PM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

a vehicle that would drain it’s 12V battery such that the car is dead while it’s plugged into a 240V/40 amp power source, but can’t keep the 12V battery from dying…just name a few problems with the Taycan roll out.
Sounds like the 12V issues I am having on our 22 Hybrid. Past couple of times I left it on the charger over a period of 24hrs the car was dead. Dealer appointment setup for next Monday. So far no issues for a couple of weeks, now that I've been using the departure timer to charge, unplugging after charging, and unplugging dashcam after each drive.

Old 03-14-2022, 02:04 PM
cl0r0x70
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Update

I have a pending vehicle inspection in May. It's my understanding -- confirmed by Porsche service manager -- that the CEL will present a problem in my state (PA.)

I called Porsche, and now have a case number. Curious to hear what they come back with, given that my $200k vehicle will be literally illegal to drive if I can't pass inspection.

Has anyone else been able to pass inspection despite this CEL issue?

Quick Reply: GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne