Sponsored By:

GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 09:36 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
Just curious and maybe it’s buried in the thread, but why are you guys not lemoning these? Might be the only way to get Porsche moving on a real fix. This is ridiculous, I truly feel for you guys.
and get what instead? and replacement vehicles are hard to come by - you can use the “lemon” status to gain substantial consideration from Porsche and get to keep the vehicle…Lemoning the vehicle means deciding on what to get next…which in my personal case was like - well there really is nothing else…but that’s a personal decision - you _CAN_ lemon the car over these issues and some have gone that route

little birdies have told me a substantial number of these have been bought back by Porsche and it has caused Porsche to move on this issue - but we can see the glacial pace at which they are addressing it…

to each their own, personally we couldn’t face another choice and waiting to get it…

I’m quite happy with the “consideration” Porsche provided me in exchange for keeping the vehicle…
Old 01-15-2022, 09:52 AM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche

I’m quite happy with the “consideration” Porsche provided me in exchange for keeping the vehicle…
Mind sharing a bit detail on the 'consideration' Porsche provided? It can only help with others negotiations
Old 01-15-2022, 10:45 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

and get what instead? and replacement vehicles are hard to come by - you can use the “lemon” status to gain substantial consideration from Porsche and get to keep the vehicle…Lemoning the vehicle means deciding on what to get next…which in my personal case was like - well there really is nothing else…but that’s a personal decision - you _CAN_ lemon the car over these issues and some have gone that route

little birdies have told me a substantial number of these have been bought back by Porsche and it has caused Porsche to move on this issue - but we can see the glacial pace at which they are addressing it…

to each their own, personally we couldn’t face another choice and waiting to get it…

I get all that and it’s why I feel for you guys. I couldn’t do it and I know nothing drives like a Porsche but there are a ton of great alternatives in the SUV world I’d go to until they sorted this out. Good luck, hope it gets resolved somewhat soon.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:15 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I get all that and it’s why I feel for you guys. I couldn’t do it and I know nothing drives like a Porsche but there are a ton of great alternatives in the SUV world I’d go to until they sorted this out. Good luck, hope it gets resolved somewhat soon.
I understand but there are not a TON of great Hybrid Alternatives - there is like one - the BMW - and it’s just not as good IMHO
Old 01-15-2022, 02:49 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 935 Posts

Another reason to stay with simpler solutions, ICE. Why complicate things? Just get a V6 or V8 without hybrid. Simpler is always better.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:04 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Another reason to stay with simpler solutions, ICE. Why complicate things? Just get a V6 or V8 without hybrid. Simpler is always better.
I was just speaking with a Polestar 2 BEV owner at this morning’s Cars & Coffee. Coincidentally, he pointed out how much simpler an electric motor compares to ICE. Although he wasn’t comparing to hybrids, he made a valid point.

Last edited by Schnave; 01-15-2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:24 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I would go with a simpler solution a BEV SUV - but unless you want a Model X or eTron then there are really nothing yet on the market - but once there is a good one I’ll ditch the complex ICE and go for the simple BEV - so you’re right why over complicate it - a decent EV SUV is all we need but alas so far there aren’t any - so Hybrid for now.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:44 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

I understand but there are not a TON of great Hybrid Alternatives - there is like one - the BMW - and it’s just not as good IMHO
Disagree, there are but they would just be considered appliances to most people here, which I also get. You wouldn’t be staring at a permanent CEL light though all the time and have that doubt in the back of your mind if something else was going to go wrong.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:39 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Disagree, there are but they would just be considered appliances to most people here, which I also get. You wouldn’t be staring at a permanent CEL light though all the time and have that doubt in the back of your mind if something else was going to go wrong.
please list them

I know of:

Cayenne
BMW X5'ish
RangeRover

I'd love to see your list of Hybrid SUV's that are compatible or better than a Model X, Audi eTron, or iPace (although it's too small for me and range suck as does fast charging speed)
Old 01-16-2022, 05:50 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

please list them

I know of:

Cayenne
BMW X5'ish
RangeRover

I'd love to see your list of Hybrid SUV's that are compatible or better than a Model X, Audi eTron, or iPace (although it's too small for me and range suck as does fast charging speed)
I already said you’d think they are appliances, which they are. It’s one of the most competitive segments etc. I’d drive a Highlander Hybrid until they got their sh@! together at Porsche with the E-Hybrid. You wouldn’t have to charge it and definitely wouldn’t worry about reliability issues. That’s just me though and everyone is different in what they’ll put up with etc. Or like others said just get a gas version of a Cayenne.

Sorry, didn’t mean to irritate you, good luck and I hope all of your issues with those get resolved soon.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:11 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

but that was the whole point of a hybrid - a plug in hybrid means I don’t have to pay for $5.00/gallon gasoline for my daily errands - there is not a TON of alternative plug-in Hybrid SUV’s or plug-in BEV’s to choose from and the Cayenne is the best offering (BMW close 2nd) if it didn’t throw a CEL…

there isn’t a lot of choice if you don’t want to go pure ICE - and pure ICE is no longer an option for me - EV all the way…now if Porsche gets their software update out it will be great - in the mean time I’m friends with my ODBII reader and clear the codes with an iPhone app (when they are the “known” code that throws what we all know is a garbage code)

I’d still like to see your list

we’ve got so far:
  • Cayenne - plug-in - best of the bunch
  • BMW X5 - plug-in - close 2nd to Cayenne - slow charge speed, and slow acceleration
  • Range Rover - plug-in - like 8 miles ‘pure-ev’ range
  • Volvo XC90 - plug-in - didn’t serously consider it
  • Tesla Model X - been there done that - would consider a refresh but not current gen
  • Jaguar iPace - slow fast charge speed, anemic range, too small
  • Audi eTron SUV - lack luster acceleration, anemic range - but my 3rd choice - updated eTron SUV S w/3 motors could be an option - this would be my 3rd choice
  • Tesla Model Y - appliance, but the best EV in the bunch
  • Taycan CT?? - do we add this to the list? Wife rejected it because low seating postion and no opening sun-roof
  • Ford Mach-E?? - do we consider this? good car
  • Rivian SUV - but Porsche will have their full BEV out before I could get an Rivian SUV
what other choices am I missing for a Plug-in Hybrid or full BEV as an alternative to the Cayenne

I’m really curious what we all consider “the list” of alternataive plug-in hybrid?
Old 01-16-2022, 07:53 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

but that was the whole point of a hybrid - a plug in hybrid means I don’t have to pay for $5.00/gallon gasoline for my daily errands - there is not a TON of alternative plug-in Hybrid SUV’s or plug-in BEV’s to choose from and the Cayenne is the best offering (BMW close 2nd) if it didn’t throw a CEL…

there isn’t a lot of choice if you don’t want to go pure ICE - and pure ICE is no longer an option for me - EV all the way…now if Porsche gets their software update out it will be great - in the mean time I’m friends with my ODBII reader and clear the codes with an iPhone app (when they are the “known” code that throws what we all know is a garbage code)

I’d still like to see your list

we’ve got so far:
  • Cayenne - plug-in - best of the bunch
  • BMW X5 - plug-in - close 2nd to Cayenne - slow charge speed, and slow acceleration
  • Range Rover - plug-in - like 8 miles ‘pure-ev’ range
  • Volvo XC90 - plug-in - didn’t serously consider it
  • Tesla Model X - been there done that - would consider a refresh but not current gen
  • Jaguar iPace - slow fast charge speed, anemic range, too small
  • Audi eTron SUV - lack luster acceleration, anemic range - but my 3rd choice - updated eTron SUV S w/3 motors could be an option - this would be my 3rd choice
  • Tesla Model Y - appliance, but the best EV in the bunch
  • Taycan CT?? - do we add this to the list? Wife rejected it because low seating postion and no opening sun-roof
  • Ford Mach-E?? - do we consider this? good car
  • Rivian SUV - but Porsche will have their full BEV out before I could get an Rivian SUV
what other choices am I missing for a Plug-in Hybrid or full BEV as an alternative to the Cayenne

I’m really curious what we all consider “the list” of alternataive plug-in hybrid?
Again, not trying to go down this rabbit hole. But an economic argument? You are worried about $5 a gallon gas but bought a six figure
plug in hybrid when you could’ve bought any number of non plug in hybrids and saved tens of thousands of $$$?
Old 01-16-2022, 07:57 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

^^^ Have you checked out the all-electric BMW iX M60? It has 610 hp, 811 ft lbs torque, with estimated 280 mile range (324 miles with the lower powered model). The iX M60’s 111.5 kWh battery will launch it to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds. It also comes with that gigantic curved iDrive display which I had the pleasure of seeing at a car show last week (pictured, below). Priced from $106K with sales starting later this year.

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/all-.../overview.html

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-...c-suv-details/

Last edited by Schnave; 01-16-2022 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:49 PM
Baldrekr
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maddie288
So folks, we all start 2022 with high hopes for a fix. I have been driving with the CEL (mine cannot be cleared, even by the dealer) for almost 8 months. Porsche says they have fixed the issue for MY'22 can we confirm that? Any guesses on when we get a fix for the MY'21?
Got my new 2022 E-Hybrid and the CEL came on after driving it for a week. I'm going to try reseating the gas cap (I doubt this will fix it but might as well) but it sounds like the check engine light (unless flashing) is safe to ignore, and I should just ignore it on this car.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:53 PM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Baldrekr
Got my new 2022 E-Hybrid and the CEL came on after driving it for a week. I'm going to try reseating the gas cap (I doubt this will fix it but might as well) but it sounds like the check engine light (unless flashing) is safe to ignore, and I should just ignore it on this car.
If you can, pull the code to see if it is the same was the 2021s are seeing.
2022 also here and I've had a few CELs that go away. Sometimes the code reader doesn't pull anything even though the CEL is on and eventually after a couple of starts it goes away. Usually is happens after charging. One time, a code did code through and it was P0562 - System Voltage Low.

Quick Reply: GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne