Sponsored By:

GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 09:03 AM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Lphiesmacks10
I wasn't able to confirm what the code was, so don't know if it is the same one people have been seeing: U0122 - Lost Communications With Vehicle Dynamics Control Module
Did you find out what the code was?
Old 12-15-2021, 09:06 AM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
Did you find out what the code was?
No, the code reader said there were none. That's why I was wondering if the "HV system is not de-energized" message that popped up was preventing the code reader from reading codes.
The CEL is already gone.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:32 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

for the specific problem discussed on this thread (CODE U0122) - it does not disappear on it’s own - it has to be cleared. So while you had a CEL - it would not appear to be the specific issue discussed here.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:37 AM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
for the specific problem discussed on this thread (CODE U0122) - it does not disappear on it’s own - it has to be cleared. So while you had a CEL - it would not appear to be the specific issue discussed here.
Okay, thanks for clarifying that! Will follow up if it appears again and I am able to read the code. From what I've noticed, it has appeared after charging and disappears after a couple of restarts of the ignition.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:00 PM
tvequipmentguru
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IM NOT ALONE????

WOW am I glad to have found this forum. 2021 e-hybrid owner. Purchased and delivered 04/2021. Our CEL came on the delivery day… during my 2nd drive. At the time we were only charging using 110v so the theory of it being the faster current charging is just not true.

Our story is long and tedious… but I’ll try and hit the highlights:

- originally told by dealer it was a known issue that would be addressed in a software update
- never offered any incentives or lemon option even after it went back 4 times for the CEL in three months. (Dealer did offer to read the CEL code anytime we wanted to be sure nothing new was wrong)
-eventually it wouldn’t and couldn’t be cleared so we took it one last time to have it checked before a long trip.
-dealer ended up replacing entire high voltage charging system
- dealer ended up replacing entire camera system in car and all wiring for them
- car was at dealer 37 days straight for this service.
- got it back fixed and no CEL 11/2021
- CEL back on 3 days later but would go back off after a day or two
- behavior continued for another month until today… CEL came on at 11am during errand running followed by an emergency alert and red flashing dash warning that coolant temp in hybrid system was at critical level and we needed to pull over to let it cool
- immediately taken to dealer. Valve sticking in hybrid cooling system… part ordered. Back in loaner.

Safe to say I’m beyond frustrated. Today’s little warning was absolutely terrifying at 70mph while merging on the interstate. In addition, I think if I’m reading things correctly… a stuck valve in the hybrid cooling system is a fairly dangerous issue since the batteries are liquid cooled?

I just am looking for any advice you all might have to help when dealing with my dealer or PCNA…

thanks all!
Old 12-31-2021, 12:25 AM
tvequipmentguru
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the surface this does not appear to be the same CEL as I’m experiencing - in my case the following is true:

1. it’s not a High voltage system fault
2. it’s not repeatable when charging
3. replacing the HV charger on the vehicle did not resolve the issue
4. my service tech says there is no current software update for my issue.

I hope this resolves your issue.

My dealer did the same service in October. Definitely changed my CEL issue to a temporary on for 2-3 days at a time but reset itself every time… until today. SMH
Old 12-31-2021, 03:49 PM
cl0r0x70
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lphiesmacks10
Okay, thanks for clarifying that! Will follow up if it appears again and I am able to read the code. From what I've noticed, it has appeared after charging and disappears after a couple of restarts of the ignition.
I absolutely have that code intermittently, and it absolutely does clear itself after about a day. No known fix at this time.

Code verified by service department, and fix coming soon per Porsche NA.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (01-01-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 04:02 PM
Maddie288
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

So folks, we all start 2022 with high hopes for a fix. I have been driving with the CEL (mine cannot be cleared, even by the dealer) for almost 8 months. Porsche says they have fixed the issue for MY'22 can we confirm that? Any guesses on when we get a fix for the MY'21?
Old 01-09-2022, 04:38 PM
donutcritic
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

High hopes for a fix soon! After driving my TSEH for a few weeks, the evil CEL returned while parked in E power mode. The Cayenne charged overnight and the CEL cleared this morning.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:38 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone else start throwing P0E5E00 instead U0122 lately? I took it to the dealer and they indicated this is the same issue and awaiting software fix. Software issue is related to onboard charging unit. No fix at the time but confirmed software fix is in development.

Edit: Just to be explicit I no longer throw U0122 but the symptoms are the same. Intermittent CEL that has to be cleared with reader. Does not go away on its own. Dealer also confirmed it's safe to clear.

Last edited by crazycanucck; 01-12-2022 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:19 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by crazycanucck
Anyone else start throwing P0E5E00 instead U0122 lately? I took it to the dealer and they indicated this is the same issue and awaiting software fix. Software issue is related to onboard charging unit. No fix at the time but confirmed software fix is in development.

Edit: Just to be explicit I no longer throw U0122 but the symptoms are the same. Intermittent CEL that has to be cleared with reader. Does not go away on its own. Dealer also confirmed it's safe to clear.

thanks for the update - this is new information to me and I love me some data - I really really hope any forth coming software update fixes a lot of these issues - this car is very very CEL happy - disappointed with Porsche on this one.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:58 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

thanks for the update - this is new information to me and I love me some data - I really really hope any forth coming software update fixes a lot of these issues - this car is very very CEL happy - disappointed with Porsche on this one.
Yea I'm curious if this is a first attempt at identifying the scope of the problem. e.g. better data logging. The OBD reader now indicates "Check service manual!" which is less concerning than prior codes. And they made the code more specific for dealers to identify the exact issue. Let me know if yours start throwing the same.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:04 AM
jmX
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update: 6 months in, still driving around with a CEL. Neighbor just got an e-hybrid a couple months ago and guess what...they also have a nearly constant CEL on theirs. My dealership (Porsche Irvine) doesn't seem concerned about it. Neighbors dealership (Porsche Riverside) told him "dont worry about it".
Old 01-15-2022, 12:06 AM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Originally Posted by jmX
Update: 6 months in, still driving around with a CEL. Neighbor just got an e-hybrid a couple months ago and guess what...they also have a nearly constant CEL on theirs. My dealership (Porsche Irvine) doesn't seem concerned about it. Neighbors dealership (Porsche Riverside) told him "dont worry about it".
what code is it showing? Very curious.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:21 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Just curious and maybe it’s buried in the thread, but why are you guys not lemoning these? Might be the only way to get Porsche moving on a real fix. This is ridiculous, I truly feel for you guys.

Quick Reply: GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne