Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 09:24 PM
Marin Vizsla
Instructor

Received 275 Likes on 145 Posts

Hi all - I purchased a Cayenne back in 2019 and used to frequent this forum a bit. I've been hanging out lately in the 992 forum since I'm looking to add a C4S as a second car. Why I'm back: battery issue. My Cayenne has been a great car and relatively trouble-free over the past ~4 - 5 years. I had the infamous gateway battery issue right after I got the Cayenne where the car wouldn't start - no warning messages, it just suddenly wouldn't start. Jump started it and then brought it to the dealer to fix it (I vaguely remember there was a recall notice in 2019/20?). Since then, no issues with the battery the past couple of years until....yesterday morning. The Cayenne alarm went off while it was parked in my garage and then when I looked at it, the car was completely dead. Used the emergency key to get inside the car. We were able to jump start it and it's running again but the roadside assistance guy said the battery was on its last leg.

Do you think it's just an age issue with the battery or possibly due to this known defect? I did receive a warning message two weekends ago that there was a system error but it was safe to drive. It did NOT reappear so I thought it was one of those random messages that appear then disappear. I did not receive any other warning messages either before the battery died yesterday. I contacted my Service Advisor already to see if I can bring in my car asap this week to replace the battery. I'll provide an update on what they say.

Originally Posted by beefchopper
I would suggest that anyone who has this issue and is told by a dealer that he has to charge them to do the work ask the dealer to put in writing that they have submitted it as a warranty claim to Porsche and were refused. I'd love to see if they would agree to put that in writing.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:48 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 336 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Marin Vizsla
Hi all - I purchased a Cayenne back in 2019 and used to frequent this forum a bit. I've been hanging out lately in the 992 forum since I'm looking to add a C4S as a second car. Why I'm back: battery issue. My Cayenne has been a great car and relatively trouble-free over the past ~4 - 5 years. I had the infamous gateway battery issue right after I got the Cayenne where the car wouldn't start - no warning messages, it just suddenly wouldn't start. Jump started it and then brought it to the dealer to fix it (I vaguely remember there was a recall notice in 2019/20?). Since then, no issues with the battery the past couple of years until....yesterday morning. The Cayenne alarm went off while it was parked in my garage and then when I looked at it, the car was completely dead. Used the emergency key to get inside the car. We were able to jump start it and it's running again but the roadside assistance guy said the battery was on its last leg.

Do you think it's just an age issue with the battery or possibly due to this known defect? I did receive a warning message two weekends ago that there was a system error but it was safe to drive. It did NOT reappear so I thought it was one of those random messages that appear then disappear. I did not receive any other warning messages either before the battery died yesterday. I contacted my Service Advisor already to see if I can bring in my car asap this week to replace the battery. I'll provide an update on what they say.
So, the original LG Chem LiFePO4 battery in the Cayennes are known to be defective, in addition, there were Porsche programming defects that caused the battery to be overcharged and trigger the battery shutdown and/or damage the battery.

Mentioning that Porsche purposely designed those batteries so to cut off all other 3rd parties from offering 3rd party solutions, and Porsche has been asking around $3,200+ dollars with $2,200 for the battery part and $1,000.00 for a rippoff installation/registration that is no different from any ither AGM battery/registration.

Did they fixed the bugs in the battery programming that triggers/damages the batteries.

All these clearly screams to a Class Action Lawsuit by Porsche owners..

Porsche cutting off all 3rd party battery providers like Antigravity, and others, is totally unacceptable...

The following users liked this post:
Marin Vizsla (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 11:24 AM
George718
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
So, the original LG Chem LiFePO4 battery in the Cayennes are known to be defective, in addition, there were Porsche programming defects that caused the battery to be overcharged and trigger the battery shutdown and/or damage the battery.

Mentioning that Porsche purposely designed those batteries so to cut off all other 3rd parties from offering 3rd party solutions, and Porsche has been asking around $3,200+ dollars with $2,200 for the battery part and $1,000.00 for a rippoff installation/registration that is no different from any ither AGM battery/registration.

Did they fixed the bugs in the battery programming that triggers/damages the batteries.

All these clearly screams to a Class Action Lawsuit by Porsche owners..

Porsche cutting off all 3rd party battery providers like Antigravity, and others, is totally unacceptable...
Question is how can we get the class action started?? There has to be someone amongst us with a legal backround that can get the ball rolling.
TonyM305 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 05:14 PM
Marin Vizsla
Instructor

Received 275 Likes on 145 Posts

A quick update to my earlier post:

- I just got off the phone with my Service Advisor. He was very familiar about the Lithium battery issue and it seems to afflict Cayennes more.
- He didn't have the battery in stock - it's on backorder for two weeks (!). He was very nice and offered me a loaner to drive while we wait for the battery to come in.
- When I asked whether Porsche would cover the replacement, he didn't hesitate at all to say "Yes". He stated it's covered under the emissions warranty even if the original vehicle warranty has expired ( I live in WA ).
- He said the replacement battery will be different (different brand / mfg?) and shouldn't have the same issue as the current one.

Other than inconvenience of leaving my Cayenne at the dealership for ~two weeks, I'm satisfied with the customer service at my local dealer. They offered immediate assistance, didn't charge me for parts and work, and offered a loaner. Knock on wood that the battery will arrive earlier...

Last edited by Marin Vizsla; 02-21-2024 at 05:20 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Marin Vizsla:
Acid Green (05-14-2024), chassis (02-22-2024), function12 (02-26-2024), Ironman88 (02-21-2024), Islandbound (06-05-2024), starbreeze7 (02-27-2024), ThaiGuy (02-22-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-2024, 06:03 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 336 Likes on 248 Posts

A quick update to my earlier post:

- I just got off the phone with my Service Advisor. He was very familiar about the Lithium battery issue and it seems to afflict Cayennes more.
- He didn't have the battery in stock - it's on backorder for two weeks (!). He was very nice and offered me a loaner to drive while we wait for the battery to come in.
- When I asked whether Porsche would cover the replacement, he didn't hesitate at all to say "Yes". He stated it's covered under the emissions warranty even if the original vehicle warranty has expired ( I live in WA ).
- He said the replacement battery will be different (different brand / mfg?) and shouldn't have the same issue as the current one.

Other than inconvenience of leaving my Cayenne at the dealership for ~two weeks, I'm satisfied with the customer service at my local dealer. They offered immediate assistance, didn't charge me for parts and work, and offered a loaner. Knock on wood that the battery will arrive earlier...
Great news... Please post the new battery brand/model that will replace the defective ones, thanks...
chassis (02-28-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 08:05 PM
starbreeze7
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May I ask whereabouts you are located? I had the same problem, located in SoCal, took this in to dealership 12 days ago and was informed battery will be shipped in from Atlanta. I still have not heard a peep about the battery showing up at the dealership. I guess I shouldn't complain, the loaner is a 2024 Cayenne and boy did it drive much better than my 2019 :P

Originally Posted by vivalaReagan
Received the dreaded yellow battery fault yesterday evening. Called my SA first thing this morning and his advice was to bring it in immediately because they only had a couple of batteries on hand and getting replenishments would take a while. Based on this, if you’ve received the error, take your Cayenne in ASAP.

Oh, and zero pushback on anything. SA was completely up-to-speed on the issue and told me they had replaced several recently at N/C. The entire process took less than two hours.

Battery was replaced free of charge and the invoice stated the following:

“CUSTOMER STATES LOW BATTERY MESSAGE IS DISPLAYED ON INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE.Confirmed customer concern.

Followed steps in TI 2706.

Battery fault status shows "restricted performance capacity" replaced battery, coded gateway with new battery.”
Old 02-27-2024, 08:10 PM
starbreeze7
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long are folks waiting for your battery to be replaced? I dropped off my car at the dealership almost 2 weeks ago, was told it was just going to be "a couple days tops" but they have yet to see the battery show up. (Supposedly coming in from Atlanta). I'm in SoCal. Love the loaner vehicle though

When I got the dreaded "battery low, service necessary" light 2 weeks ago (one month into owning this 2019 CPO vehicle), I called the dealership I purchased the car from, the first service advisor was not sure it is covered under any warranty, but I called my sales rep who connected me to a different service advisor at the same dealership who told me it will be covered under the Emissions warranty. They then connected me to another service advisor they are friendly with at a dealership closer to me who pretty much got a loaner vehicle ready for me when I brought my car in. Pretty impressed with the service so far!

Last edited by starbreeze7; 02-27-2024 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:18 PM
miknow
AutoX

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been doing extensive research and been a guinea pig and have done a conversion to AGM. My 2019 cayenne no longer need the lithium battery (3k+ installed) and uses AGM batteries that costs $650

The following 4 users liked this post by miknow:
chassis (02-28-2024), function12 (02-28-2024), Schnave (02-27-2024), TonyM305 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:31 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,567 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by miknow
I have been doing extensive research and been a guinea pig and have done a conversion to AGM. My 2019 cayenne no longer need the lithium battery (3k+ installed) and uses AGM batteries that costs $650
Outstanding! Can you provide instructions and a parts list?
chassis (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 07:50 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Well done!

Please provide a parts list and where the parts can be purchased. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2024, 12:35 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,008 Likes on 567 Posts

Wow, that is great! That is very cool and good on you.

Now I HAVE to give you some ribbing. You find a potential cure to a massive problem for many of your fellow Cayenne Owners, and you post ONE SENTENCE, with no info of what you did so some of these poor frustrated, angry, perplexed fellow Cayenne Owners can also look into this? .

Schnave (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 09:38 PM
miknow
AutoX

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Wow, that is great! That is very cool and good on you.

Now I HAVE to give you some ribbing. You find a potential cure to a massive problem for many of your fellow Cayenne Owners, and you post ONE SENTENCE, with no info of what you did so some of these poor frustrated, angry, perplexed fellow Cayenne Owners can also look into this? .
Sorry work and going back and forth with the dealer is killing me. So it only takes 3 things. The negative cable, The AGM battery and a vent hose. But the only drawback is it has to be done at the dealer cause the software coding they use ( I could be wrong on this). I was test driving it for a bit and there is only one thing they do need to fix. As I knew the auto start stop gave me dash light in the beginning it was annoying every stop the dash makes a sound. I actually just went back to the dealer this morning and came back this afternoon cause they have to recode it again. They managed to to turn off all dash lights, get all good readings but the auto start stop does not work. You can select it on and off but it does nothing. They are trying to work on a fix but I told him no rush on it cause I always turn off my start stop anyway.

Other than the start stop the car runs the same exact way except the the battery is huge but saved me $1500. Total came out to $2200. They have 3 more people interested but no on wanted to take the risk until someone did. I said F it ill do it. After the success they did another cayenne the next day

Last edited by miknow; 02-28-2024 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:45 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

So it only takes 3 things. The negative cable, The AGM battery and a vent hose. . .
Thanks for the update! Can you provide a part # for the negative cable? Is it the same one used in the factory AGM Cayennes?

Also, if you can get any info from the dealer about coding we could pass along to our dealers would be very helpful.

Lots of folks following this with great interest in hopes of converting their own batteries.

Last edited by Schnave; 02-28-2024 at 09:48 PM.
Ironman88 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 10:17 PM
miknow
AutoX

Here is my invoice and whited out my personal info. The vent hose is supposedly from a Panamera. They had a issue in the beginning where they needed to vent the gasses from the cabin. They tried different parts but the Panamera fit perfectly.

The dealers saying it cant be done is a lie. I am proof and on top of that I was watching the tech do the work through the service center showroom window.

I think the reason why they say they cant is
#1 they want to make more money
#2 They want to make sure everything is working because my start stop is not working for me currently. This does not bother me because I turn it off anyway
#3 The service center I went to is a not a dealership It is the Porsche track experience track in South Atlanta. They have a shop foreman who is more experienced than others

Last edited by miknow; 02-28-2024 at 10:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by miknow:
Ironman88 (02-28-2024), Palantir (02-29-2024), Schnave (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 10:29 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Here is my invoice and whited out my personal info. The vent hose is supposedly from a Panamera. They had an issue in the beginning where they needed to vent the gasses from the cabin. They tried different parts but the Panamera fit perfectly.
Perfect! Thanks for volunteering to go first and sharing pictures and parts list. Much appreciated by all!

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Battery