Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 11:18 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by runbuh

The two photos show two different sides of the same connector.
The following users liked this post:
runbuh (05-10-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 02:40 PM
JPM5
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2019 Cayenne S owner experience having my ConBox and battery replaced "under warranty" :

Here's a copy of the email i sent to my service advisor at Hennessy Porsche North Atlanta that outlines my experience and issues prior to my low battery warning appointment on 5/20/24:

"I'm getting a yellow warning for "battery low_service necessary" and I'm having issues with the Start/Stop not working. Personally, I think the module is dead and I'm getting a battery low warning. You might be aware that there have been problems with the Cayenne 9Y0's battery/electrical systems. My truck has had battery issues going back to early 2022. I've attached docs and emails with Porsche Service Center South Atlanta.

You can read through the emails and service docs from June through Dec 2022, but I was told the ConBox was drawing power from the battery continuously and draining the battery. At the time I was told it was an unknown issue to Porsche Service Center South Atlanta and Porsche was working on a solution. I was without a vehicle for 6+ months until Porsche figured it out. Which I was obviously frustrated by... In Jan of 23, I was "surprised" the battery was not replaced when the ConBox software update was done, battery sensor recall, and other related warranty work was performed but I was told that if there were "issues" with the battery in the "near future" that Porsche would warranty the battery based on "previous warranty work". I was not happy with that to say the least but I was just happy to get my truck back after 6+ months of not having a vehicle. It seemed to me that they were kicking the can down the road until the (at the time) $3,000+ battery wasn't covered under factory warranty...

I've read that Porsche just introduced a new batch of batteries with the "correct sensor". I do not know what the issue with my battery is now or why I'm getting a warning but it seems there's still a problem with the battery sensor, and that should be covered under the Emissions Warranty. My battery is not a dead battery (that itself is not covered), but it seems to me there is a problem with the sensor instead. Which is covered by the Emissions Warranty? Regardless, based on the previous warranty work done on my electrical system going back to early 2022, a new battery should be covered based on the "previous warranty work" done?? I'm looking forward to working with you today to resolve these issues".

I'll try to keep my emotions out of this and just outline what happened today but I will say there was not a whole lot of explanation or discussion about the issue itself. I was told that the tech needed to take a look at the vehicle and we could go from there. I waited for ~30 minutes and then was called back into the office to be told I "needed a new battery and it was not covered under any type of warranty". I politely as possible referenced my email that outlined my ~18 month experience and pulled up the email from the service manager at Porsche Service Center South Atlanta that directly told me that if I needed a new battery in the "near" future that it would be covered under "previous warranty work". The service advisor handled the situation well and he told me he would speak to his manager again and get back to me. ~20 minutes later I got a text saying "the service manager will process this new battery as if it is covered under your CPO warranty. I am having it installed right now". I thanked him and part #: 9Y0-915-105-Q was installed today. I got my service invoice and awkwardly said good day...

Hopefully this outline of my experience will help someone else... Fingers crossed this is the end of my Battery Saga
The following 2 users liked this post by JPM5:
George718 (05-20-2024), Schnave (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 03:49 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by JPM5
2019 Cayenne S owner experience having my ConBox and battery replaced "under warranty" :

Here's a copy of the email i sent to my service advisor at Hennessy Porsche North Atlanta that outlines my experience and issues prior to my low battery warning appointment on 5/20/24:

"I'm getting a yellow warning for "battery low_service necessary" and I'm having issues with the Start/Stop not working. Personally, I think the module is dead and I'm getting a battery low warning. You might be aware that there have been problems with the Cayenne 9Y0's battery/electrical systems. My truck has had battery issues going back to early 2022. I've attached docs and emails with Porsche Service Center South Atlanta.

You can read through the emails and service docs from June through Dec 2022, but I was told the ConBox was drawing power from the battery continuously and draining the battery. At the time I was told it was an unknown issue to Porsche Service Center South Atlanta and Porsche was working on a solution. I was without a vehicle for 6+ months until Porsche figured it out. Which I was obviously frustrated by... In Jan of 23, I was "surprised" the battery was not replaced when the ConBox software update was done, battery sensor recall, and other related warranty work was performed but I was told that if there were "issues" with the battery in the "near future" that Porsche would warranty the battery based on "previous warranty work". I was not happy with that to say the least but I was just happy to get my truck back after 6+ months of not having a vehicle. It seemed to me that they were kicking the can down the road until the (at the time) $3,000+ battery wasn't covered under factory warranty...

I've read that Porsche just introduced a new batch of batteries with the "correct sensor". I do not know what the issue with my battery is now or why I'm getting a warning but it seems there's still a problem with the battery sensor, and that should be covered under the Emissions Warranty. My battery is not a dead battery (that itself is not covered), but it seems to me there is a problem with the sensor instead. Which is covered by the Emissions Warranty? Regardless, based on the previous warranty work done on my electrical system going back to early 2022, a new battery should be covered based on the "previous warranty work" done?? I'm looking forward to working with you today to resolve these issues".

I'll try to keep my emotions out of this and just outline what happened today but I will say there was not a whole lot of explanation or discussion about the issue itself. I was told that the tech needed to take a look at the vehicle and we could go from there. I waited for ~30 minutes and then was called back into the office to be told I "needed a new battery and it was not covered under any type of warranty". I politely as possible referenced my email that outlined my ~18 month experience and pulled up the email from the service manager at Porsche Service Center South Atlanta that directly told me that if I needed a new battery in the "near" future that it would be covered under "previous warranty work". The service advisor handled the situation well and he told me he would speak to his manager again and get back to me. ~20 minutes later I got a text saying "the service manager will process this new battery as if it is covered under your CPO warranty. I am having it installed right now". I thanked him and part #: 9Y0-915-105-Q was installed today. I got my service invoice and awkwardly said good day...

Hopefully this outline of my experience will help someone else... Fingers crossed this is the end of my Battery Saga
Start/Stop stops working when the battery is bad, weak, or out of spec voltage..
Old 06-05-2024, 08:49 PM
jdmkuruma
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy2019
Can I just get a normal battery from Walmart…
that’s called good options like my Lexus.

i just go to Walmart and switch out the battery myself in 15 minutes.

High end cars love scamming rich people
Somehow I found this thread, and I am disappointed about the Lithium battery issue on the 9Y0. My Cayenne is 13 958.1 GTS, and I got my Walmart Everlast AGM H8 battery, without having the register, too. Good to know about this battery issue if I need to upgrade in the future.
Old 06-06-2024, 01:00 PM
rjk25
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Just to update... Its been a few months now since i had lithium battery reprogrammed from Premier In NY... so far things are working great... Looks like I might actually keep my Porsche. I was already planning maybe going back to lexus.. was looking maybe going for a 2025 Lexus Gx... but now Might just keep the Porsche.
George718 (06-06-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 12:06 AM
i386_64
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Hello guys, I have a little question regarding trickle charging the 12V battery with the E-hybrid plug-in charging.

I left my vehicle in my family home last month. We ran the car a couple of days ago, the voltage reading was 13.3V, which is I think pretty normal. The car is plugged in to a charger using a Porsche 7.2kW charger. Just wanted to have a peace of mind regarding battery health, I don't want to spend thousands of pounds for no reason.
  1. Is the trickle charging functionality of high voltage battery charger reliable? My father's restarting the charger every morning in case of any charging errors (particularly due to weak protective earthing).
  2. Is the trickle charging function limited to Porsche's EVSEs only, or basically any EV charger?
  3. I couldn't find the reference to trickle charging with high voltage battery charging in the manual. Can someone point me out where it's mentioned?
  4. Should I buy a CTEK trickle charger instead? Or should I stay with the way it is?
Thanks for any help, really appreciated.
Old 06-09-2024, 10:20 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdmkuruma
Somehow I found this thread, and I am disappointed about the Lithium battery issue on the 9Y0. My Cayenne is 13 958.1 GTS, and I got my Walmart Everlast AGM H8 battery, without having the register, too. Good to know about this battery issue if I need to upgrade in the future.
There is a newly emerging solution to replace the LiFePO4 battery with a standard H8 AGM battery available, for example, at Walmart for $179. A little better than $1k or $2k at Porsche.

Search for posts from @Schnave . More will be added as the solution gets more users and better how-to DIY instructions.

In summary, the new solution replaces Li battery with AGM. The replacement kit costs <$500 and requires approx 1 hour of intermediate DIY effort. An indy shop could do this, if they are willing. The required coding would likely cause warranty denial issues with the dealer, so this swap is recommended after the vehicle is out of the manufacturer's or CPO warranty periods.
George718 (06-09-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 05:49 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I understand the new Cayenne has a lithium battery to save weight. Not just the e-hybrid but even the ICE models.

Can anyone tell me about this battery? The specs? Amp Hours, Size, weight?

Ideally I would love to see a picture of it.

I'm looking for a battery for my 911 Turbo S and this could be a good option as the 991 Tequipment Lithium battery is known to have a high failure rate.
Got my Lithium LiFePO4 to AGM converter kit from Kingstone's ABL's website.

I am too close to my cross country trip vacation, so I need to decide if to do the installation before or after my trip..

I am pretty excited about installibg this kit. I guess all the installation instructions are on the ABL website, because no instructions came with it.

The small wire connector sure has a very thin and weak neck. I better not sneeze while installing it.

I will carefully reread Kingstone and Schnave's installation notes before installing it.

Schnave.. Is everything still working normal after your installation? Do you have air suspension and rear wheel steering on your vehicle? thanks..

https://www.allbuylow-autoparts.com/

The following 2 users liked this post by PorscheACC:
chassis (06-13-2024), TonyM305 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 06:36 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
Schnave.. Is everything still working normal after your installation? Do you have air suspension and rear wheel steering on your vehicle? thanks..
The kit is working great. My air suspension and RAS also working just fine. I installed a battery monitor to make sure the new software is keeping my battery charged. I have an AGM compatible NOCO Genius battery charger but won’t use it while testing the new software.

Normal resting voltage is lower for AGM verses LFP. As you know, my 12.83V reading would be very low for an LFP battery. But that voltage indicates approximate 100% charge for an AGM. Max charging voltage is 14.52V which is fine. So far so good!

Last edited by Schnave; 06-13-2024 at 06:39 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Schnave:
chassis (06-13-2024), LDT (08-02-2024), PorscheACC (06-14-2024), TonyM305 (06-13-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 04:31 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After being totally horrified by this thread, yesterday I took my 2019 Cayenne in because the battery warning light was on. I have 48K miles on it and it's 5-1/2 years old. Over 5 years old, it's out of warranty.

Picked it up today with a brand spank'n new Li-Ion battery. Service manager told me that Porsche extended the warranty on the battery. No charge. I got out of there so fast I didn't ask if they extended it just for me, or if Porsche has actually extended the warranty on all their Li-Ion batteries.

Hahahahahah. What an incredible piece of machinery. 48K on the original tires and brakes. And according to the inspection results, they should be fine for another year.
The following 2 users liked this post by El Sapo:
chassis (07-31-2024), Ironman88 (08-03-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 04:37 PM
George718
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Great news for you! It would be nice to know if they extended you a courtesy or if it's indeed companywide.
chassis (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 07:04 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by El Sapo
After being totally horrified by this thread, yesterday I took my 2019 Cayenne in because the battery warning light was on. I have 48K miles on it and it's 5-1/2 years old. Over 5 years old, it's out of warranty.

Picked it up today with a brand spank'n new Li-Ion battery. Service manager told me that Porsche extended the warranty on the battery. No charge. I got out of there so fast I didn't ask if they extended it just for me, or if Porsche has actually extended the warranty on all their Li-Ion batteries.

Hahahahahah. What an incredible piece of machinery. 48K on the original tires and brakes. And according to the inspection results, they should be fine for another year.
Yes, I think the emissions warranty was 7-year/70,000 miles, so you were ok.

I was stunned, too, when I changed my brake pads at 80,000 miles, and they still hadn't wear the brake sensors. Though, I always take long trips around the country, so that helped.

On my two former Mercedes SUVs, I had to change the brake pads before they reached 20,000 because they were very soft pads and began to squeal loud.. I had to change them 5 times on each of my MB SUVs, since I put 100,000+ miles on each..

Old 08-03-2024, 04:55 PM
drooman
Rennlist Member

Received 2,157 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by El Sapo

Great! I'm about to enter into this foray....just bought a one owner 2019 Cayenne S with 41K miles. Shortly after purchase the dreaded yellow warning light is on. The full records from the original selling dealer showed they performed the WMJ9 reprogramming of the gateway control unit on 12-01-2022. I don't think the light was on then because the records show all customer complaints and symptoms of each visit and that was not mentioned.

Either way I'm kind of expecting a battery replacement is required at this point, since the WMJ9 service has been done. A few questions for the group:

El Sapo: what dealership was this? I'd like to at least be able to tell my dealer "XXX dealership is replacing these under warranty" ...worth a shot.

How has LiFePo4 9y0 battery availability been lately? I read on here about shortages a few years back.

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-07-2024, 08:16 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

What are the confirmed symptoms of a failing LiFePO4 (POS) battery or BMS?

Today ACC, PID, ALK and LKA were "not available" soon after I started the car in the morning.

Later that day, all systems were functioning as normal.

Display voltage in the MFD rises to 14V or a bit higher at closed throttle, coasting at 45mph - very repeatable voltage fluctuation with throttle/coasting. Under throttle at steady 45mph, voltage is high 12s/low 13s.

Any significance of systems "not available" and displayed voltage fluctuation vs throttle position?

Last edited by chassis; 08-07-2024 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2024, 05:10 AM
Kendo67
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
What are the confirmed symptoms of a failing LiFePO4 (POS) battery or BMS?

Today ACC, PID, ALK and LKA were "not available" soon after I started the car in the morning.
Mine just stated "Low Battery" - "Inspection Required" , no issues with anything else. Even the S/S worked as normal.

One of the things i did notice was the voltage on the MFD was a constant 13.5V regardless of engine load or throttle position as it must default to this if the system thinks there is an issue with the battery.

K

Last edited by Kendo67; 08-08-2024 at 05:11 AM.
chassis (08-08-2024)

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Battery