Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 01:34 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts
Default 2019 Cayenne Battery

I understand the new Cayenne has a lithium battery to save weight. Not just the e-hybrid but even the ICE models.

Can anyone tell me about this battery? The specs? Amp Hours, Size, weight?

Ideally I would love to see a picture of it.

I'm looking for a battery for my 911 Turbo S and this could be a good option as the 991 Tequipment Lithium battery is known to have a high failure rate.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:22 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I am not sure of this. There is a 48V system for the PDCC I believe. Are you saying in lieu of a standard lead acid battery?
Old 02-17-2019, 01:28 PM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

I just picked up my new base yesterday and plugged in the CTEK 7002 to make sure the battery was fully charged. It didn’t work...wouldn’t recognize battery or charge at all. Pulled out the manual and sure enough, lithium battery. I can’t tell you any more than that but it’s definitely a lithium battery.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:37 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

It's in the passenger footwell. Photo below. You can make out part number(s) and specs pretty well. Can't tell you about the weight. It's a little smaller physically than a standard 12V lead-acid car battery. Bigger than a lawnmower / motorcycle battery for sure.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:54 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
It's in the passenger footwell. Photo below. You can make out part number(s) and specs pretty well. Can't tell you about the weight. It's a little smaller physically than a standard 12V lead-acid car battery. Bigger than a lawnmower / motorcycle battery for sure.

Nice pic. It says only 60Ah, so that is low, but the electrical system is very sophisticated now, so it will be interesting to understand this battery. It clearly says Lithium, but not Lithium Ion, but Lithium Iron Phosphate which is similar to the Lithium Ion.
The following 2 users liked this post by OCNYPORSCHE:
mglane83 (11-30-2021), poolie (03-20-2021)
Old 02-17-2019, 02:53 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
I am not sure of this. There is a 48V system for the PDCC I believe. Are you saying in lieu of a standard lead acid battery?
Great point.

Looking at the photo above it seems the battery is a 12v starter battery. Says maximum 14.8v. Also it looks like it is 50Ah which is low but may be okay with modern battery management systems.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:24 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JCWLS3

Thanks for posting. That's really interesting. 50Ah Lithium probably weighs 20lbs max versus 65lbs for the old Cayenne battery.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:38 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Thanks for posting. That's really interesting. 50Ah Lithium probably weighs 20lbs max versus 65lbs for the old Cayenne battery.
I will defer to you on this. But yes, my experience with Li-Ion batteries tells me you’re probably right on.

And to the poster who mentioned it was the starter battery: Yes, it is.

One final thought. Placement is understandable considering how poorly Li-Ion batteries react to high heat. But DO NOT play Jeep in your Cayenne and try to ford a deep creek. You will be Sad Cayenne Owner the second water intrudes into the footwell. Same goes for A/C condenser drainage.

And it’s actually 60Ah, not 50. Sorry for the poor pic.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:14 PM
Gmoe01
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's a Li-ion, Iron-Phosphate chemistry battery, I have similar batteries on my boat. This is the type used by the army and marine corps for troop carriers. There are great you-tube videos showing that you simply cannot make them explode or burn. On the videos they shoot them and hit them with flame throwers, and they there is no thermal runaway like regular Li-ion batteries. Very safe under all conditions.
The following users liked this post:
poolie (03-20-2021)
Old 02-17-2019, 05:23 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

There’s a couple threads over in the 991 GT3 forum about anti gravity’s battery’s. I picked one up during the group buy. Big weight savings over the stock battery.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...m-battery.html
Old 02-17-2019, 05:28 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

The other thing that occurred to me is that they could last past 8 years, which would be excellent. But what about the cold? Has anyone tried to use their lithium battery power tool outside? It does not last long with low temps.

Note too, that the member above has a great point, these are Lithium Iron Phosphate, which is a safe cousin to the Lithium Ion.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:32 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
The other thing that occurred to me is that they could last past 8 years, which would be excellent. But what about the cold? Has anyone tried to use their lithium battery power tool outside? It does not last long with low temps.

Note too, that the member above has a great point, these are Lithium Iron Phosphate, which is a safe cousin to the Lithium Ion.
Lithium iron phosphate is for less likely to overheat and catch fire.

However it is important all you Cayenne owners do not use the old CTEK Porsche Charge-o-Mat. Any charger for lead acid batteries will destroy a lithium battery.

You must get a lithium battery tender. CTEK makes one. And the latest Charge-o-May pro has a lithium setting too.

You're right about the cold weather and many of the after market lithium battery vendors recommend a higher capacity battery as a result. With 50Ah it shouldn't be an issue if you drive your car every week. But for winter storage you should definitely put it on a lithium battery tender.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:45 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Todd B
There’s a couple threads over in the 991 GT3 forum about anti gravity’s battery’s. I picked one up during the group buy. Big weight savings over the stock battery.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...m-battery.html
I am thinking of buying an Antigravity battery myself for my 911. How long have you had it and how has your experience been so far?

One of my main concerns is that their warranty has a lot of exclusions and doesn't seem particularly robust if you did have a battery failure.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:19 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gmoe01
If it's a Li-ion, Iron-Phosphate chemistry battery... On the videos they shoot them and hit them with flame throwers, and they there is no thermal runaway like regular Li-ion batteries. Very safe under all conditions.
That’s great to read. Thanks. I’ll have to research this technology now that you guys have turned me on to it. I am completely unfamiliar with it.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Lithium iron phosphate is for less likely to overheat and catch fire.

However it is important all you Cayenne owners do not use the old CTEK Porsche Charge-o-Mat. Any charger for lead acid batteries will destroy a lithium battery.

You must get a lithium battery tender. CTEK makes one. And the latest Charge-o-May pro has a lithium setting too.

You're right about the cold weather and many of the after market lithium battery vendors recommend a higher capacity battery as a result. With 50Ah it shouldn't be an issue if you drive your car every week. But for winter storage you should definitely put it on a lithium battery tender.
Lithium batteries are not comparable to lead-acid batteries of the same volume in several ways:

1. They have almost no self-discharge. So a parked car with an efficient shut-down system can start months later. My GT3 starts fine after 2 months parked with 30Ah Li battery and no tender. I've done it by mistake once and out of necessity another time and both times the battery started the car fine and had solid voltage.
2. They can discharge almost to empty without getting "weaker" or being damaged in contrast to lead-acid batteries that give their rated voltage and amps only when fully charged. Half discharged lead acid battery is noticeably worse in both voltage and power. And going much beyond half reduces the lifetime of the battery. That's why lead-acid batteries need to be such an overkill always. So 60 Ah lithium battery can give you well over 50Ah before it starts getting weaker, which is comparable to a much larger capacity lead-acid battery.
3. Lithium batteries have much higher starting current for their volume, something like 3x+, so even a 60Ah lithium battery on its last % of charge would still give more current than a typical lead-acid battery.
4. Lithium batteries can sustain significantly more cycles than lead-acid before starting to lose capacity and starting current.

So I would not worry about 60Ah Li battery being insufficient or less robust than a 120Ah lead-acid battery under normal usage - it's same or better.

The following 2 users liked this post by MaxLTV:
Bill P. (07-11-2021), Heegoogoo1 (09-17-2021)

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Battery