Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 11:28 AM
George718
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

After laying out over $3k for the battery and Porsche refusing to own up to the issue this will be my last Porsche
Old 10-15-2023, 12:48 PM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 168 Posts

Yep. Going back to Lexus for the next family car again; this was an ill-advised mis-adventure into Porsche-land. The new GX looks pretty sweet. And I'll have about 60K left over for other activities
The following users liked this post:
LDT (10-20-2023)
Old 10-15-2023, 01:53 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Porsche replaced my battery under warranty after it went 'open contact' while connected to their charger and it is the new 9YO.915.107.RY battery.

One thing has changed in that it will no longer stay connected to either my CTEK Li battery maintainer or the Porsche branded battery maintainer while hooked up to the cig lighter outlet in the center console. It initially connects but will drop the connection after an hour or so. In the past, I have used the cig outlet without any issues.

I now have the CTEK alligator clips and I will hook it up directly to the battery when I get back from my afternoon errands.

The following 3 users liked this post by dasams:
chassis (10-16-2023), LDT (10-20-2023), PorscheACC (10-15-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 12:30 AM
mgx1020
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Porsche replaced my battery under warranty after it went 'open contact' while connected to their charger and it is the new 9YO.915.107.RY battery.

One thing has changed in that it will no longer stay connected to either my CTEK Li battery maintainer or the Porsche branded battery maintainer while hooked up to the cig lighter outlet in the center console. It initially connects but will drop the connection after an hour or so. In the past, I have used the cig outlet without any issues.

I now have the CTEK alligator clips and I will hook it up directly to the battery when I get back from my afternoon errands.

how often do you put it on tender ? Is it that you go long periods between drives ? How long would you say
chassis (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 10:20 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

I am coming up on three years with my GTS and have 13,800 miles. A big chunk of those were trips to PHX to visit my parents. Otherwise, it was not unusual for my GTS to sit 7-10 days between uses. Hence, the need for a battery maintainer. Before retiring 8 yrs ago, I worked from home and hadn’t commuted to an office since 1990. Over the years, all of my vehicles were low mileage and stayed on battery maintainers.

Last night, I hooked up my CT maintainer directly to the connectors under the hood. I just checked and the CTEK stayed connected. I have no idea why this worked when the cig lighter connector would not work for either the CTEK or Porsche branded maintainer (also made by CTEK). The cig lighter previously worked on my GTS and also worked on my 06 Cayenne S and 09 997.2.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-06-2023, 07:22 PM
Prob1981
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, this is my first post. I’m from Chile and just wanted to share my experience with this battery issue.
my father bought a 2019 base cayenne from a private seller on may this year, in June the yellow light came up, so went to the dealer to perform the software update, but it was already performed last year by previous owner, so the dealer told my dad that the sensor was faulty and the only solution was to buy a new $3.400 usd battery. The car was functioning well so the service guy gave us another option which was to wait for them to talk to Porsche Germany since there was at least 3 other cayennes in the same situation.
long story short the dealer call my dad to tell him that the battery exchange was approved by Porsche Germany free of charge and today we took the car to the dealer to get the new battery installed.

Original battery

New battery

Wilsontour (11-07-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 07:38 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 336 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Prob1981
Hi, this is my first post. I’m from Chile and just wanted to share my experience with this battery issue.
my father bought a 2019 base cayenne from a private seller on may this year, in June the yellow light came up, so went to the dealer to perform the software update, but it was already performed last year by previous owner, so the dealer told my dad that the sensor was faulty and the only solution was to buy a new $3.400 usd battery. The car was functioning well so the service guy gave us another option which was to wait for them to talk to Porsche Germany since there was at least 3 other cayennes in the same situation.
long story short the dealer call my dad to tell him that the battery exchange was approved by Porsche Germany free of charge and today we took the car to the dealer to get the new battery installed.

Original battery

New battery
Interesting, different part number and not from LG Chem..

Hopefully, Porsche fixed the defects in their batteries and the cause of the overcharging that damages the batteries..
chassis (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 04:57 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

More importantly, I hope that Porsche starts warrantying these batteries as the number of failures suggest either a faulty battery or faulty software or both.
The following 2 users liked this post by dasams:
George718 (11-07-2023), PorscheACC (11-07-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 11:41 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 1,017 Posts

For anyone out of warranty, I consider it a low risk investigation to see if an AGM + new negative cable would be a successful substitute for the LiFePOS battery. The risk, if unsuccessful, is the cost of the AGM and negative cable.

I'm sure a dealer would use the battery substitution to deny warranty coverage, so I do not plan to do this during the three years remaining on my S warranty.

The small open question is whether the LiFePOS LIN cable has enough length to plug into the AGM negative cable, in a vehicle built with the POS battery from the factory.

Last edited by chassis; 11-09-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Antigravity (11-09-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 12:53 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chassis
For anyone out of warranty, I consider it a low risk investigation to see if an AGM + new negative cable would be a successful substitute for the LiFePOS battery. The risk, if unsuccessful, is the cost of the AGM and negative cable.

I'm sure a dealer would use the battery substitution to deny warranty coverage, so I do not plan to do this during the three years remaining on my S warranty.

The small open question is whether the LiFePOS LIN cable has enough reach to plug into the AGM negative cable, in a vehicle built with the POS battery from the factory.
My Autel scanner has a LiFePO4 battery entry registration in its battery registration menu for my vehicle, but it does not have an AGM battery profile option that one can select for the BMS to charge the AGM battery correctly.

I think, it may need some new vehicle programming to add the AGM charging profile option.

Though, I wonder if you add an Antigravity battery and a negative cable, then you can use that Antigravity Lithium battery and still charge it with the existing Lithium charging profile..

Old 11-08-2023, 04:05 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Unknowable until someone tries it. Again, the downside risk is the cost of the battery and cable. Worth it in my opinion for an out-of-warranty vehicle.
PorscheACC (11-09-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 01:17 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,008 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
Unknowable until someone tries it. Again, the downside risk is the cost of the battery and cable. Worth it in my opinion for an out-of-warranty vehicle.
If anybody wants to try it, and who is local to Los Angeles or the surrounding area we would be glad to work with you on testing. Or if you mechanically inclined and willing to try this we'd still work with you if you are out of state.

As far as there not being a selectable AGM setting for the autel scanner the charging profiles for lithium and AGM are quite similar and should not hurt anything on changing to either. The issue why they say not to charge a Lithium with a Lead/Acid Charger is becuase Lead/Acid Chargers often have a Desulfate mode or Recovery or whatever names they use and it spike voltage to remove sulfates from a lead acid battery which is not needed for a Lithium Battery. But a cars system does not have the desulfate mode so it won't really hurt either battery having and AGM or Lithium Charging profile if they have them set up with the regular industry stadards of not charging above 14.6~8v.
chassis (11-09-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 12:24 PM
lucian95
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Reading through the car warranty sheet, battery is covered under original warranty only (typically 2 years). Official Porsche extended warranty (in EU) does not cover batteries on cars with ICEs. I do not know whether battery issue is related to early production years, particularly MY2019. Anyway, I'm getting a lightly used MY2022 base Cayenne, which has a LiFePO4 battery. While the car is being prepared for delivery, I left with the service my Porsche maintainer (has both AGM/Lithium options built in) to be tested before delivery. I asked them specifically to make sure it is tested via a cigarette lighter 12V plug and let the car sit with the maintainer connected for a longer period to see whether it is dropping the charge. I do recall I had this problem with Macan a few years ago and they realized that cigarette lighter 12V plug had to be woken up by means of a Porsche diagnostic software. Never had any problems with 911 or Panamera, and I tend to keep my cars on a maintainer daily. From reading through the above posts, I agree with folks that the battery under question has a software related problem and I hope they have found a fix by now.
The following 2 users liked this post by lucian95:
chassis (11-16-2023), mxp0 (11-18-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 09:04 AM
rjk25
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes sadly I thought my first Porsche would be long term . Regretting getting rid of my 2009 Audi A8L never had an issue.. this battery thing is really a joke. I know this will be my last Porsche
The following 2 users liked this post by rjk25:
George718 (11-17-2023), PorscheACC (11-17-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 11:15 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rjk25
Yes sadly I thought my first Porsche would be long term . Regretting getting rid of my 2009 Audi A8L never had an issue.. this battery thing is really a joke. I know this will be my last Porsche
Wow, Porsche poor reliability is being compared as worst than Land Rover, that sucks, with many current owners being able to confirm that. Sad to see a great historic company become so corporate incompetent and deaf to the point of ruining their business and their buying customer base.

Even Google Generative AI search says Porsche sucks..

Even warranty companies are corroborating Porsche’s reliability issues..

"Porsche Shamed As Least Reliable Brand, Worse Even Than Jaguar, Land Rover And Alfa Romeo"

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/12/po...lfa-romeo/amp/

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Battery