Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I paid $3,200.....at least you got a "deal"
Old 09-29-2023, 03:16 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by MrIncredible
I have no reason to believe that they're not starting to seep a bit of fluid, but they certainly don't need replacement right now.

On the battery front, the dealer replaced it and we got our Cayenne back. The bill was $2700. As a (not so) hilarious side-note, I emailed the SA inquiring about the warranty on said new battery... Are you ready for this? A whopping 2 years.
Classic Porsche fake marketing BS which states 8 to 10 years of usable life.. while the reality is that it is around 2+ years and 10+ times the cost.. and no 3rd party options..
Old 09-29-2023, 05:01 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
Classic Porsche fake marketing BS which states 8 to 10 years of usable life.. while the reality is that it is around 2+ years and 10+ times the cost.. and no 3rd party options..
Since the battery lifespan is not up to what they promoted, isn’t it a class action waiting to be happened?
The following users liked this post:
George718 (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 05:36 PM
josephhvn
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About a week before the battery of the car was replaced with a new one (cost a fortune!) and the dealer had done diagnostics, PreVal, PostVal,...I don't know if these work have affected the electrical system of the car but about a week afterwards, the right side (back area, near the gas opening) having some clicking/hitting noise (medium level) while the Cayenne was completely parked and locked for over 10 hours (thru the night). In second attempt, I could open the trunk and then the noise stopped.
I called the dealer and the technician was cavalier about it, saying if you still can drive, it's ok - bringing it to the shop he'd not find anything! I could just wait for the next service time. I'm concerned about the safety of driving the car in my next long trip because it seemed the noise came from the fuel pump (just guessing based on what I read online)

Please advise and thank you for reading this ghostly experience!
Old 09-29-2023, 05:55 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silververtu
Since the battery lifespan is not up to what they promoted, isn’t it a class action waiting to be happened?
Because of the overpricing of the battery, its installation labor price, its registration labor, the lack of 3rd party options because of Porsche’s battery proprietary controller/sensor, and the misleading marketing by Porsche and its dealers, I would join a class action suit in a blink..

On the 9Y0 and 9YA, the battery installation and registration are very simple, and not any different than vehicles from the year 2000 having to register the battery.. so Porsche charging $1,000+ for a battery replacement is just plain highway robbery..

Porsche’s advertises that the battery lasts 8 to 10 years, which is misleading, and the fact that Porsche's own controller/programming defects are overcharging and damaging the batteries and reducing its life while heavily profiting are further negligence on Porsche’s side.
The following 3 users liked this post by PorscheACC:
chassis (09-29-2023), George718 (09-29-2023), mxp0 (10-05-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 07:36 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 185 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by josephhvn
About a week before the battery of the car was replaced with a new one (cost a fortune!) and the dealer had done diagnostics, PreVal, PostVal,...I don't know if these work have affected the electrical system of the car but about a week afterwards, the right side (back area, near the gas opening) having some clicking/hitting noise (medium level) while the Cayenne was completely parked and locked for over 10 hours (thru the night). In second attempt, I could open the trunk and then the noise stopped.
I called the dealer and the technician was cavalier about it, saying if you still can drive, it's ok - bringing it to the shop he'd not find anything! I could just wait for the next service time. I'm concerned about the safety of driving the car in my next long trip because it seemed the noise came from the fuel pump (just guessing based on what I read online)

Please advise and thank you for reading this ghostly experience!
I’m not much help except to say that there are two fuel pumps and one of mine was bad almost from day one. The low pressure (low volume) pump was failing on my GTS. Symptoms were blubbering at start up and eventually I had a warning on the dash…not directly about the fuel pump but that Start/Stop might not work. A picture of that warning was what helped with the diagnosis. Took forever to get a new pump from Germany. I didn’t hear a clicking sound but doubt that I ever walked to the rear of the car in the week before taking it to the Dealer.
Im starting to get a similar blubber but this time it’s different…like oil fouling the plugs…using lots of oil. My buy back should take place soon so I’ll never know.

Last edited by Ron.s; 09-29-2023 at 07:49 PM.
josephhvn (09-30-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 11:02 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Silververtu
I would be in on this as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by stuttgart46:
chassis (10-03-2023), George718 (10-03-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 06:54 PM
YanaQ
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2019 cayenne has a system warning light on as”battery low” . Does it mean the battery need to replace? I drove only 19000 miles.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:56 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Quite likely. A 2019 battery could be as much as 5 years old at this point, depending on build date. 4 years is the start of the normal window where car batteries should be replaced. The window on lead-acid batteries is fairly wide, with some batteries lasting quite some time.

There is no history with this LiFePOS battery to know how wide is the window for replacement age.

Old 10-07-2023, 09:16 PM
YanaQ
Advanced

Originally Posted by chassis
Quite likely. A 2019 battery could be as much as 5 years old at this point, depending on build date. 4 years is the start of the normal window where car batteries should be replaced. The window on lead-acid batteries is fairly wide, with some batteries lasting quite some time.

There is no history with this LiFePOS battery to know how wide is the window for replacement age.
Thanks for the reply. I went to autozone just did a quick check on the jumpstart (the service person can’t find the battery itself) and was told the battery worked normal cause he didn’t see any problem from the tester equipment), not sure what’s the real problem caused yet. There’s a battery sign on the dashboard. The dealership is 1hr away from me, probably need to wait for a week to be able to have the appointment make. . But one more thing I noticed that my car lighter also not working (I don’t smoke,so never use it), the light around the lighter is on but it didn’t burn inside.
chassis (10-07-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 10:53 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Failing batteries can test OK. I consider battery tests meaningless. Modern German cars need a battery with near 100% function to operate properly.

You have a battery message and a non-functioning lighter. Sounds like the battery could be on its way out.

It has been discussed on this site that the battery electronics, not the storage battery itself, are what go bad. Not sure if that is actionable information, but interesting to know. If the battery electronics can be replaced separately from the storage battery, maybe that is a lower cost remedy to a "bad" battery.
YanaQ (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 12:00 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YanaQ
My 2019 cayenne has a system warning light on as”battery low” . Does it mean the battery need to replace? I drove only 19000 miles.
Did you have the battery TSB from Porsche? Many people that had the battery software update had this message pop up soon after, by coincidence or not.

Did your battery get damaged by Porsche’s known software defect that caused the battery to be overcharged and damaged?

Have you fully charged your battery. It is known that this LiFePos4 batteries do not have a large reserve, there are many known issues that will cause the battery to be drained and thus have a low voltage.

If have changed a battery in any vehicle, then you can change any 9Y0 vehicle battery. Battery registration is the same as any vehicle with BMS since the year 2,000+.

You just need a scanner or a shop with a good scanner tool to register your battery and about 10 minutes max. You only will need the battery serial number, model number, battery amps, and select the Lithium Option for Porsche to register your battery, which is the same procedure as any vehicle woth BMS since around the year 2,009...

There a several YouTube videos that can guide you start to finish on changing your battery and registering it.

You can get the battery for around $1,850.00 in online Porsche part sites, and change it yourself or by a shop.

Porsche has been known to charge around $1,000 to a couple of thousands dollars just for labor, so watch out, since it is a very simple procedure in the 9Y0 and 9YA Cayenne models
Old 10-08-2023, 12:27 AM
YanaQ
Advanced

Did you have the battery TSB from Porsche? Many people that had the battery software update had this message pop up soon after, by coincidence or not.

Did your battery get damaged by Porsche’s known software defect that caused the battery to be overcharged and damaged?

Have you fully charged your battery. It is known that this LiFePos4 batteries do not have a large reserve, there are many known issues that will cause the battery to be drained and thus have a low voltage.

If have changed a battery in any vehicle, then you can change any 9Y0 vehicle battery. Battery registration is the same as any vehicle with BMS since the year 2,000+.

You just need a scanner or a shop with a good scanner tool to register your battery and about 10 minutes max. You only will need the battery serial number, model number, battery amps, and select the Lithium Option for Porsche to register your battery, which is the same procedure as any vehicle woth BMS since around the year 2,009...

There a several YouTube videos that can guide you start to finish on changing your battery and registering it.

You can get the battery for around $1,850.00 in online Porsche part sites, and change it yourself or by a shop.

Porsche has been known to charge around $1,000 to a couple of thousands dollars just for labor, so watch out, since it is a very simple procedure in the 9Y0 and 9YA Cayenne models
I have never charged my battery before. I hope it's just a software failure. I will contact the dealership to check what caused it first. The cigarette lighter in the car is powered because the light in that socket is on, but it just can't ignite, so I'm not sure what's causing it.

chassis (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 01:07 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YanaQ
I have never charged my battery before. I hope it's just a software failure. I will contact the dealership to check what caused it first. The cigarette lighter in the car is powered because the light in that socket is on, but it just can't ignite, so I'm not sure what's causing it.

If the light is on, and it does not turn off after a while, then you have some current leak problem, which can be cause by several reasons that causes the accessory power not to turn off soon after you turn the power off..

Porsche electronics are pretty easy to get confused and will not turn off the accessories power, which will drain your battery pretty fast.

First use a Porsche Lithium charger to check the charge level of your battery to ser how liw it was, then fully charge your battery to its full level, and check if the message is still there.

Then you need to check your parasitic current leak by turning your vehicle off, waiting for the accessories to turn off, disconnecting the negative battery terminal and use a multimeter to measure the current draw.

If you have anything above 0.5 amps, after the accessories are turned off, you definitely have a current leak problem that's draining yoilur power fast. There is some device in your vehicle thst is consuming power or keeping the accessory power on indefinitely.

Watch out with dealers stringing you with repairs, where they will change your battery, and then when the battery gets drained by the leak, you are back with the same problem and then theybtell you that you need to spend lots of money on tracing the leak or some other problem.

If you are not familiar with checking battery parasitic current leaks, go to a decent experienced automotive shop for a quick analysis.

In Porsche vehicles, the sensitive electronics sometimes will not turn off the accessories power if you install 3rd party electronics, etc. or if your key is too close to your vehicle during the night, which causes the comfort feature to continuously wake up to cjeck for entry thus draining your battery, which you can fix that by disabled comfort entry in the worst case.

There are several other current leak causes that escapes my memory right now..

Again, remember that the Lithium-Ion battery doesn't have much reserves, so even listening to your stereo at high volumebwhen the rpms of your vehicle are not optimal, it can leave your battery in a low power state.
The following 3 users liked this post by PorscheACC:
chassis (10-08-2023), i386_64 (10-29-2023), YanaQ (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 01:46 PM
YanaQ
Advanced

If the light is on, and it does not turn off after a while, then you have some current leak problem, which can be cause by several reasons that causes the accessory power not to turn off soon after you turn the power off..

Porsche electronics are pretty easy to get confused and will not turn off the accessories power, which will drain your battery pretty fast.

First use a Porsche Lithium charger to check the charge level of your battery to ser how liw it was, then fully charge your battery to its full level, and check if the message is still there.

Then you need to check your parasitic current leak by turning your vehicle off, waiting for the accessories to turn off, disconnecting the negative battery terminal and use a multimeter to measure the current draw.

If you have anything above 0.5 amps, after the accessories are turned off, you definitely have a current leak problem that's draining yoilur power fast. There is some device in your vehicle thst is consuming power or keeping the accessory power on indefinitely.

Watch out with dealers stringing you with repairs, where they will change your battery, and then when the battery gets drained by the leak, you are back with the same problem and then theybtell you that you need to spend lots of money on tracing the leak or some other problem.

If you are not familiar with checking battery parasitic current leaks, go to a decent experienced automotive shop for a quick analysis.

In Porsche vehicles, the sensitive electronics sometimes will not turn off the accessories power if you install 3rd party electronics, etc. or if your key is too close to your vehicle during the night, which causes the comfort feature to continuously wake up to cjeck for entry thus draining your battery, which you can fix that by disabled comfort entry in the worst case.

There are several other current leak causes that escapes my memory right now..

Again, remember that the Lithium-Ion battery doesn't have much reserves, so even listening to your stereo at high volumebwhen the rpms of your vehicle are not optimal, it can leave your battery in a low power state.
thank you very much ! Very helpful!

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Battery