Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023 | 04:07 PM
YanaQ
Advanced

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
If the light is on, and it does not turn off after a while, then you have some current leak problem, which can be cause by several reasons that causes the accessory power not to turn off soon after you turn the power off..

Porsche electronics are pretty easy to get confused and will not turn off the accessories power, which will drain your battery pretty fast.

First use a Porsche Lithium charger to check the charge level of your battery to ser how liw it was, then fully charge your battery to its full level, and check if the message is still there.

Then you need to check your parasitic current leak by turning your vehicle off, waiting for the accessories to turn off, disconnecting the negative battery terminal and use a multimeter to measure the current draw.

If you have anything above 0.5 amps, after the accessories are turned off, you definitely have a current leak problem that's draining yoilur power fast. There is some device in your vehicle thst is consuming power or keeping the accessory power on indefinitely.

Watch out with dealers stringing you with repairs, where they will change your battery, and then when the battery gets drained by the leak, you are back with the same problem and then theybtell you that you need to spend lots of money on tracing the leak or some other problem.

If you are not familiar with checking battery parasitic current leaks, go to a decent experienced automotive shop for a quick analysis.

In Porsche vehicles, the sensitive electronics sometimes will not turn off the accessories power if you install 3rd party electronics, etc. or if your key is too close to your vehicle during the night, which causes the comfort feature to continuously wake up to cjeck for entry thus draining your battery, which you can fix that by disabled comfort entry in the worst case.

There are several other current leak causes that escapes my memory right now..

Again, remember that the Lithium-Ion battery doesn't have much reserves, so even listening to your stereo at high volumebwhen the rpms of your vehicle are not optimal, it can leave your battery in a low power state.
I went to the dealership today and got a repair quote for about $4300! For the repair cause they said that the battery and sensor are both not work properly. please see the pictures

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

Last edited by YanaQ; 10-09-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2023 | 05:23 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YanaQ
I went to the dealership today and got a repair quote for about $4300! For the repair cause they said that the battery and sensor are both not work properly. please see the pictures

The battery controller and the sensor are built within the LiFePO4 battery, and come included with the new battery.

Younjust just need the battery installation and BMS battery registration that any shop can do for a fraction of the price.

If your battery cells are good and the battery controller have internal codes that flag it irreversibly as defective, then there are shops that know about these Porsche battery defects/scams and will change the battery internal controller and sensor for only $500.00.

If they are charging you for a new battery and a new internal battery sensor and a new internal controller, then they are reaping you off big time, because again, ALL new batteries come with built in battery controller and new sensor..
The following users liked this post:
YanaQ (10-11-2023)
Old 10-09-2023 | 11:21 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

This battery situation is terrible. I took great care of my Li battery and it died after ownership of 2 yrs and 9 months. I’m convinced that there’s nothing wrong with the battery itself but something’s up…
George718 (10-10-2023)
Old 10-10-2023 | 08:15 AM
matthewr87
Racer

I'm usually not prone to conspiracy theories but I suspect there is some planned obsolescence involved here. Having this integrated battery sensor fail right around the time the warranty is up is very convenient. Also, that whole BS about the "update" when some folks get a battery failure message during the warranty period is just icing on the cake. Someone made an error on that batch of batteries and customers started getting the message while they still had a warranty which is obviously not the intended outcome.
The following 2 users liked this post by matthewr87:
George718 (10-10-2023), YanaQ (10-11-2023)
Old 10-12-2023 | 02:41 PM
A4EP
Racer

Originally Posted by matthewr87
I'm usually not prone to conspiracy theories but I suspect there is some planned obsolescence involved here. Having this integrated battery sensor fail right around the time the warranty is up is very convenient. Also, that whole BS about the "update" when some folks get a battery failure message during the warranty period is just icing on the cake. Someone made an error on that batch of batteries and customers started getting the message while they still had a warranty which is obviously not the intended outcome.
Looking at global production numbers for these vehicles through 2021 including the 911 as well (not sure if other vehicles use this battery too) and then assuming the battery price is 2x their cost this is a $400MM mistake by Porsche. If it is coding, if it is faulty battery control boards, does not matter. If Porsche had to replace all of the batteries it would be about that total cost or higher as of today...looking at their 2021/2022 operating profit it would be close to 10% of that.

The problem I have is that if it really is the battery sensor going bad that is part of the battery then unless there is something Porsche did to nuke the sensor the battery manufacturer should warranty the battery out and have minimal to no cost to Porsche. Something is very fishy here and if I had to guess there are a lot of wheels turning on this issue in the background on how to manage this flub. Unfortunately it falls on the consumer at this point unless the battery sensor dies at the exact time you have it in for service at the dealer and they are forced to take care of it.
George718 (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023 | 10:49 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

This is planned obsolescence or a software mistake. Components in the battery and BMS are dead simple which is good news/bad news. Bad news is they can be designed to fail (wear out) at a defined time or usage point.

The software algorithms used to charge and maintain batteries are going through lots of change in the industry these days. It is safe to assume the software engineers made some mistakes on this.

Porsche dropped the ball on this without question.
George718 (10-13-2023)
Old 10-13-2023 | 07:42 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

I think I somehow dodged one.... After spending 4 days at Rennsport Reunion I came home to a totally dead 2019 Cayenne e-hybrid. It was plugged into my home EV charger, but I had to use the emergency/physical key to open the door. I could then jump it and it would run/drive, but I the instrument cluster display was flashing "Vehicle electrical system error Park vehicle safely" and "Engine run req. for electricity Vehicle electrical system error Park vehicle safely". I had it towed to my dealer and they determined the 12V battery was completely dead. To my delight, they replaced it under warranty 😮‍💨. The new battery is slightly different but still a LiFeP04 battery with an updated part# (9Y0-915-107-RY versus original 9Y0-915-105-M). My warranty ends in December so I am counting myself as one of the lucky ones that it was classified a warranty issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by Miggytosh:
Acid Green (05-14-2024), chassis (10-13-2023)
Old 10-13-2023 | 09:28 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Miggytosh
I think I somehow dodged one.... After spending 4 days at Rennsport Reunion I came home to a totally dead 2019 Cayenne e-hybrid. It was plugged into my home EV charger, but I had to use the emergency/physical key to open the door. I could then jump it and it would run/drive, but I the instrument cluster display was flashing "Vehicle electrical system error Park vehicle safely" and "Engine run req. for electricity Vehicle electrical system error Park vehicle safely". I had it towed to my dealer and they determined the 12V battery was completely dead. To my delight, they replaced it under warranty 😮‍💨. The new battery is slightly different but still a LiFeP04 battery with an updated part# (9Y0-915-107-RY versus original 9Y0-915-105-M). My warranty ends in December so I am counting myself as one of the lucky ones that it was classified a warranty issue.
Thanks for posting..

I wonder if it is the same battery manufacturer, and if it is a new part that can fit in the 9Y0's too..

I would guess new and better battery controller and sensor, besides potentially newer type of battery cells..

Does it mention 60 ah battery capacity? and maximum voltage of 14.8 volts?

Old 10-13-2023 | 09:33 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
Thanks for posting..

I wonder if it is the same battery manufacturer, and if it is a new part that can fit in the 9Y0's too..

I would guess new and better battery controller and sensor, besides potentially newer type of battery cells..

Does it mention 60 ah battery capacity? and maximum voltage of 14.8 volts?
Yes to both. Here is a picture for ref.

9Y0-915-107-RY Battery for Cayenne
The following 2 users liked this post by Miggytosh:
Acid Green (05-14-2024), chassis (10-13-2023)
Old 10-13-2023 | 09:49 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Miggytosh
Yes to both. Here is a picture for ref.

9Y0-915-107-RY Battery for Cayenne
Thank you for the image.!!

Interesting that your new battery does not mention the LG Chem company, which is embroiled in a billion dollar defective battery recall for auto and house lithium batteries.

The issues they have sound very similar to the issues Porsche is having with their LGChem 9Y0-915-105 lithium batteries, only that there is no recall and owners are footing the $3,000+ bill for defective batteries that are suppose to last up to 10 years, but are barely lasting around 2+ years..
o
Below is a YouTube video link to the LG Chem battery issues, which is the same company that provides Porsche with our original problematic Lithium batteries..

If your new 9Y0-915-107-RY lithium battery is build by a different company and fits our 2019-2020 9Y0's, then it will be stupid to install defective LGChem lithium batteries instead of the new lithium battery model 9Y0-915-107-RY from, potentially, a different company dince VW mother company and other companies are dropping LGChem because of the defect issues..

Last edited by PorscheACC; 10-13-2023 at 09:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PorscheACC:
chassis (10-13-2023), George718 (10-14-2023)
Old 10-14-2023 | 06:44 PM
A4EP
Racer

This is the same part number and battery that the dealer installed in mine as well. LG Chem does not have a factory in Czech Republic so it looks like Porsche changes manufacturers.

I also think I lucked out big time. My car had been going in for other reasons, never had a battery issue but have to admit I was trying to get some warranty work done to possibly sell the car because I just knew I would run into that issue.

My work order says that after the minor repair they were doing they took the car off the battery charger and it was 100% dead. They say on the work order that the vehicle did not have this issue when it came in. They reconnected the charger, ensured settings matched "ATI 1701.1" and tried to charge it for 1hr. Removed and it was still 100% dead. They verified the correct software in the gateway and saw Fault P1D6C00. They stated the only possible problem is the battery sensor which is internal to the battery and that no other faults were present. They connected to a known good battery and the fault disappeared. Conclusion was that the battery needed to be replaced. They covered it under warranty.

My car is a 2019 and the in service date is the first half of August 2019...Luckily it has CPO coverage. The battery software was updated with the campaign at the end of July right before the warranty ended.

As I said, no apparent issues with the battery at all, that being said, in the last 12 months I did start to get PASM, Driving Light Control, Auto Highbeam Assist errors sporadically where they would turn on when I turned the car on and either go away after 20 minutes of driving or I would restart the car and they would go away immediately. If these errors don't happen again I bet it was related to the battery.
The following 2 users liked this post by A4EP:
Acid Green (05-14-2024), chassis (10-14-2023)
Old 10-14-2023 | 06:51 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A4EP
This is the same part number and battery that the dealer installed in mine as well. LG Chem does not have a factory in Czech Republic so it looks like Porsche changes manufacturers.

I also think I lucked out big time. My car had been going in for other reasons, never had a battery issue but have to admit I was trying to get some warranty work done to possibly sell the car because I just knew I would run into that issue.

My work order says that after the minor repair they were doing they took the car off the battery charger and it was 100% dead. They say on the work order that the vehicle did not have this issue when it came in. They reconnected the charger, ensured settings matched "ATI 1701.1" and tried to charge it for 1hr. Removed and it was still 100% dead. They verified the correct software in the gateway and saw Fault P1D6C00. They stated the only possible problem is the battery sensor which is internal to the battery and that no other faults were present. They connected to a known good battery and the fault disappeared. Conclusion was that the battery needed to be replaced. They covered it under warranty.

My car is a 2019 and the in service date is the first half of August 2019...Luckily it has CPO coverage. The battery software was updated with the campaign at the end of July right before the warranty ended.

As I said, no apparent issues with the battery at all, that being said, in the last 12 months I did start to get PASM, Driving Light Control, Auto Highbeam Assist errors sporadically where they would turn on when I turned the car on and either go away after 20 minutes of driving or I would restart the car and they would go away immediately. If these errors don't happen again I bet it was related to the battery.
Thanks for this post.

Are you saying the battery was replaced under CPO warranty coverage?
Old 10-14-2023 | 07:02 PM
A4EP
Racer

Originally Posted by chassis
Thanks for this post.

Are you saying the battery was replaced under CPO warranty coverage?
Yes. Because it happened in their hands. I didn’t bring it in for a battery issue or had ever seen any battery warnings. They actually didn’t even tell me they did it. Just handed my keys back and said they got the interior part I needed replaced, gave me the work order and sent me on my way. Only after getting home did I see the huge paragraph of what they did resulting in a warranty battery replacement. I didn’t believe it until I opened up the panel and saw the new battery.
The following 2 users liked this post by A4EP:
Acid Green (05-14-2024), chassis (10-14-2023)
Old 10-14-2023 | 07:47 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Yes. Because it happened in their hands. I didn’t bring it in for a battery issue or had ever seen any battery warnings. They actually didn’t even tell me they did it. Just handed my keys back and said they got the interior part I needed replaced, gave me the work order and sent me on my way. Only after getting home did I see the huge paragraph of what they did resulting in a warranty battery replacement. I didn’t believe it until I opened up the panel and saw the new battery.
Would you be willing to post the section of the invoice related to the battery? Please remove or redact any of your personal information. This would be a big help to others if (when) they need to address this with dealers. Bringing a preponderance of evidence improves the chances of achieving the desired outcome with dealers.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2023 | 12:11 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Your battery and fault code problem seems to be a well known Porsche battery defect that Porsche fixes following their attached TBS.

Those assumed dead batteries can be repaired by sending your defective battery to a third party company so that the battery controller and sensor can be replaced with new ones for about $500.00, and then, it will worked perfectly again.

Porsche is profiting $3,000+ dollars from its loyal customers with their well known defects in their LG Chem battery controller/sensor programming/hardware that overcharges and damages the LG Chem batteries.

Frankly, after 60 years of being a Porsche fan and owner, the more I observe Porsche’s late company/dealers deceiving behaviours, I am deciding that this will be my last Porsche..

I see the Porsche brand customer base already shrinking due to Porsche deceiving profiteering/marketing/repair schemes/deficiency, and see the enthusiast customer base flocking to the higher performance and more reliable existing vehicles and to the luxury incoming EV SUVs and vehicles with 600, 700, 900 mile with high capacity solid state battery packs..
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
MC-10231325-0001(1).PDF (68.1 KB, 106 views)

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Battery