Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024 | 08:51 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beefchopper
Thanks
I thought that some people already got the following new LiFePO4 Lithium battery that is not from the defective LGChem company..

Part: 9Y0-915-107-RY

When mine goes, I will replace it with this one. Same specs but not from the problematic company LGChem who continuesly have and has had huge screwups.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024 | 09:05 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Originally Posted by enzowhatever
I actually really want to know what is the purpose of this LIN port. Because I personally think the alternator can decide how to charge the device with respect to the voltage. When we have the Lithium battery, the LIN is communicate with the chip at the top. I think the LIN port from AGM battery of the new cayenne might also just provide a dummy or fake signal. Otherwise what kind info can you get from that LIN cable if there is no processor or chip connected.
I don’t have much to add except that VAG vehicle battery replacements require that any new battery must be “registered” to the vehicle. So changing to an AGM might have that additional complication. My wife’s Audi is approaching battery replacement time-this will be AGM to AGM. I haven’t finished researching this…like what happens if you just change the battery without the registration? Two battery suppliers have said that they have a battery but can’t register it…have to take it to Audi. It’s not worth the hassle so I’ll have the Dealer make the change now that I’m back in town where there is an Audi Dealer.
Old 01-05-2024 | 09:18 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ron.s
I don’t have much to add except that VAG vehicle battery replacements require that any new battery must be “registered” to the vehicle. So changing to an AGM might have that additional complication. My wife’s Audi is approaching battery replacement time-this will be AGM to AGM. I haven’t finished researching this…like what happens if you just change the battery without the registration? Two battery suppliers have said that they have a battery but can’t register it…have to take it to Audi. It’s not worth the hassle so I’ll have the Dealer make the change now that I’m back in town where there is an Audi Dealer.
Battery registration is standard and no different from AGM, LiFePO4, etc. It has been required on many vehicles with BMS for decades.

You just add the requested battery information, which is all printed on each battery.

Shops scanners can do the battery registration and so many other cheaper scanners like AUTEL(which I don't like tye company), etc.

It takes about 5 minutes to enter the information.

chassis (01-05-2024)
Old 01-06-2024 | 08:37 AM
rjk25
Advanced

Well guess I will be planning on a battery change, what price ranges did everyone pay...and did you shop different dealers.
chassis (01-06-2024)
Old 01-07-2024 | 12:37 PM
silverstone73
1st Gear

My Porsche Cayenne 2020 just out of warranty, and started getting the message Low Battery. Anyone here had success installing AGM+Negative cable or a 3rd party Lithium battery.
Thanks in advance.
The following 2 users liked this post by silverstone73:
chassis (01-07-2024), George718 (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024 | 02:36 PM
RG928
Advanced

Default Dead battery

I have just now experienced this issue. Car sat for a few days and I went out to put on charger and it’s dead. When I hook up my Ctek and push and hold reset it does but then a few minutes later I get red fault light on the charger. It’s face in the garage. Called service dept and they basically said get it towed. No real help. I don’t believe I moved the tool to release the shifter out of the trunk either (I will now) so basically is my car bricked and stuck in my garage? I had no warning lights of any kind and it always started right up. 2 questions: Mercedes roadside would flatbed my car to the dealership even after warranty for free. Does Porsche do this? 2nd, can I buy any jumper box and jump start it that way and get it into neutral or drive it to the dealer? I’m stuck so any advise is appreciated. Thanks
chassis (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024 | 04:04 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Yes you can start it with a jump starter that has the boost function. I have an Antigravity XP-1 Micro Start have had to use it on several occasions with my original battery. When I first hooked it up to a dead battery, it wouldn't work but Antigravity tech support instructed me to use the boost function and then it started up. As for your CTEK, it is well known that the Reset button will not work on these Li batteries.
chassis (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024 | 05:25 PM
RG928
Advanced

OK thanks for the info. The Ctek is made only for Li batteries so that seems odd it doesn't do what it says to do to open the gateway. Will take to long to get a Antigravity XP-1
This situations sucks and Porsche should be ashamed of themselves. I guess Ill just call Porsche roadside assist tomorrow and see what they have to say.
This as said before is maddening and not necessary lust like putting the tool for the trans interlock in the truck which you need if the battery dies but can t get to because the dead electric wont open the trunk!!!
Old 01-07-2024 | 06:48 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RG928
OK thanks for the info. The Ctek is made only for Li batteries so that seems odd it doesn't do what it says to do to open the gateway. Will take to long to get a Antigravity XP-1
This situations sucks and Porsche should be ashamed of themselves. I guess Ill just call Porsche roadside assist tomorrow and see what they have to say.
This as said before is maddening and not necessary lust like putting the tool for the trans interlock in the truck which you need if the battery dies but can t get to because the dead electric wont open the trunk!!!
Don't see why Porsche road assistance can't just bring you a LiFePO4 Lithium battery and install it and register the battery right there. It's a very easy process where there are some posts with detailed information. I am sure the Porsche dealer has a portable scanner.

Or buy it and install it, and later drive to the dealer for the BMS battery registration step. The battery registration has to be made soon but you should be able to drive it to the dealer or a mechanic.

Possibly, you could buy the battery from the dealer, and you, or somebody else install it and then take it to any mechanic shop for the standard BMS battery registration, or drive to the Porsche dealer for the 5 minute normal/standard battery registration for around $1,000..

Many possibilities depending on what you can, want, or are able to do.

I may be buying a LiFePO4 (not a defective LG Chem battery) spare battery and install it when mine starts giving problems, and since I have a device scanner that can easily register any LiFePO4 battery for my vehicle.

The battery on the 9Y0 Cayennes are located in the passenger front seat and easily accessible. There are posts and Youtube videos showing showing details
chassis (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024 | 08:54 PM
RG928
Advanced

I am going to try to jump it tonight with my neighbors jump box and see if I can get it started and running and maybe the gateway will open and allow for charge. At least I will drive it some and park it outside overnight. Ridiculous nightmare for a car with 35k miles and put on a charger most of the time. Seems we are regressing on these cars and manufacturers are just finding ways of ****i g their customers. My last Porsce and I’ve had 5 but I’m done with this nonsense.
chassis (01-07-2024)
Old 01-09-2024 | 11:56 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

I am going to try to jump it tonight with my neighbors jump box and see if I can get it started and running and maybe the gateway will open and allow for charge. At least I will drive it some and park it outside overnight. Ridiculous nightmare for a car with 35k miles and put on a charger most of the time. Seems we are regressing on these cars and manufacturers are just finding ways of ****i g their customers. My last Porsce and I’ve had 5 but I’m done with this nonsense.
Where you able to re-activate your battery and jumpstart your vehicle?

chassis (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024 | 01:31 PM
RG928
Advanced

UPDATE: So neighbors jump box unable to connect, error code on the box. Called road side service from my extended warranty and when he came we tried his bigger jump box and sure enough car started right up.

Let it run a bit and showed good charge. So I then put it back on my lithium CTek charger and it stayed at 2 lights (always the case when first hooking it up) for hours but lo and behold this morning all lights lit and full charge. The only thing I can come up with is I got a new radar detector for Christmas Valentine V2 and had left it plugged in the port left underside of passenger footwell. In the past this port turns off after a few minutes but maybe this time it didn't and just drained the battery? And the gateway seeing the drain just disconnected everything? Seems like a good idea but poorly executed if you cant use a charger to re-activate it. Regardless we have snow today so I'm going to leave it on the charger and next week take it in to the dealer for a checkup just to make sure that everything is OK. Thanks for feedback and help.
Old 01-09-2024 | 03:36 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Good update. Glad it worked out and everyone with a Li battery should get a good jump starter.

I had a similar experience the first time the gateway opened and I tried to jump my Li batter. It's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that the XP-1 Micro Start won't generate output power unless it sees voltage. And with an open gateway, there is no voltage. So the boost function overrides that logic and generates the voltage. The gateway sees the voltage and closes the loop and then power is sent to the battery and the car will start.

If Antigravity sees this post, I hope they can clarify my understanding.
Old 01-09-2024 | 06:13 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: So neighbors jump box unable to connect, error code on the box. Called road side service from my extended warranty and when he came we tried his bigger jump box and sure enough car started right up.

Let it run a bit and showed good charge. So I then put it back on my lithium CTek charger and it stayed at 2 lights (always the case when first hooking it up) for hours but lo and behold this morning all lights lit and full charge. The only thing I can come up with is I got a new radar detector for Christmas Valentine V2 and had left it plugged in the port left underside of passenger footwell. In the past this port turns off after a few minutes but maybe this time it didn't and just drained the battery? And the gateway seeing the drain just disconnected everything? Seems like a good idea but poorly executed if you cant use a charger to re-activate it. Regardless we have snow today so I'm going to leave it on the charger and next week take it in to the dealer for a checkup just to make sure that everything is OK. Thanks for feedback and help.
Great news that you were able to wake up your battery.. Battery chargers will not output voltage to wake up the Lithium battery BMS if it detects low voltage.

No guarantees that the USB ports will turn off. The USB controllers are very finicky and can easily stay on. I would not trust on the power to be turned off automatically.

To wake up a Lithium battery that has the BMS voltage drop protection activated, you need any 12 volt continuous voltage to be hook to the jumping post to re-enable the battery.

Once the battery has woken up, then you can jump started.

If the battery BMS does not wake up, it can be two cases. The first one is a BMS controller code that can only be reset by Porsche tools caused by temporary overcharging, etc., and the other a irreversable/permanent shut down error code condition that requires the battery internal controller/sensor to be swapped by third party companies, if the internal cells are still good. Around $500.00.

I turned off my comfort entry option too, since if your key is close, it will keep waking up the controller continuously. Those comfort circuitry in the handles are prone to go defective and keep a high parasitic current all the time. It has been a common problem on BMWs and oyher vehicles too.

Last edited by PorscheACC; 01-09-2024 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2024 | 02:59 PM
ThaiGuy
Intermediate

I had the famous yellow light for the first time in August 2023 and took my 2019 Cayenne base to the dealer to perform the gateway unit TSB. The light went away for 5 months until today it came back on again. The car started fine. What are all options I have now? I would hate to spend 3K to replace it with another pos battery. Given how many posts here and other forums, is there any class action initiated on this defect? Thank you.
George718 (01-11-2024)

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Battery