Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 12:13 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Except I just bought a '15. In December. I believe my warranty is to 2021 with unlimited miles. And this was a diesel that already had the 2/100 tacked on, so I bought the '15 in your example; a punched vehicle. Other than purchase price breaks (I'm assuming), PCNA and mother Porsche doesn't differentiate between the two, I'd guess.

So tacking on the CPO to an already "CPO'd" CD isn't much of a selling point... other than fresh oil, tires and checking.

Just a guess, but I don't think they're doing new+CPO+CPO....
Ok can you clarify the bolded?

The fine print on the CPO site says that you can't apply a warranty to one that already had the 2/100 CPO.

So you're saying yours was previously a CPO vehicle? And they changed it to be the 2/unlim?
Old 01-26-2018, 02:02 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Ok can you clarify the bolded?

The fine print on the CPO site says that you can't apply a warranty to one that already had the 2/100 CPO.

So you're saying yours was previously a CPO vehicle? And they changed it to be the 2/unlim?
It was a used CD. So in the hands of previous (original) owner when all this broke. They got the courtesy warranty, like the rest of us. When the fix was approved, they got it done, collected the $$ and traded it for a Macan GTS. The dealership CPO'd it and I bought it.

So, as far as I can tell, the time doesn't get extended, since it already had the 2 extra years, but since it was sold as a CPO after 12/1/2017, the mileage limit is gone. I'm guessing they laid the CPO over the courtesy warranty, rather than tacking it onto the end, so the only change is the mileage limit. I guess I'll have to go ask the question now that the water is all muddied up.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:03 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Here's an interesting article on the bigger picture diesel emissions that doesn't bode well for VW in the ongoing suits: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...%99/ar-AAvaIcz
Old 01-26-2018, 03:26 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Alright so I emailed a friend of mine who works for corporate. He is looking into it.

I just got off the phone with the dealer. He was already aware I'd called my buddy as I guess my buddy started off by zero'ing in on the VIN of the one I'm thinking about buying.

Sales guy confirmed with me "100% it is indeed CPO'd for 8 years, until 2023. All of our 2015s are CPO'd until 2023 because they were all previous service loaners."

He also said it's a "new program" and I will absolutely get documentation from Porsche (not just the dealer) on the 8 years - said it's also "VIN specific." I asked "so is this a special thing just for service loaners?" and he said he didn't know - only that all of theirs are ex loaners, and they all qualified for this new program. He said they're entering each one into this program manually as they sell.

My buddy is reasonably high up with PCNA, not sure on the exact stack rank but I know he's big within the region, and he was actively engaged with the dealer. So while I have not yet gotten word back from my buddy, the sales guy seemed almost alarmed I knew him - so at this point, I'm willing to trust what I've been told so far.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:51 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Old 01-26-2018, 07:30 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Gotta be the dealer adding the CPO on top of their cars.

I confirmed that mine isn't CPO and just has the reminder of the 6/100k warranty
Old 01-27-2018, 08:05 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Skiahh, Thanks for the link to that article.

Somewhat related...has anybody watched "Dirty Money", Netflix Documentary? First episode is about the VW scandal.

This is a bit naive but I guess I thought Porsche was run by people that were enthusiast.

I don't think this is over yet.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:36 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by docwyte
Gotta be the dealer adding the CPO on top of their cars.

I confirmed that mine isn't CPO and just has the reminder of the 6/100k warranty
Yes that's what they did it seems. I made a huge stink, they were almost panicked but swore that I will absolutely get something in the mail from Porsche once all the paperwork goes through.

They showed me one sheet which showed the existing 6/100 warranty - which shows an end date of 2021. Then there is an addendum that says "An additional 2 years".

All the paperwork I took home was in PDF format on a thumb drive , dealer is on some new system (as of Friday) so they don't have to print piles of paper, everything was digital signature on an iPad that was integrated with their system. I tossed it all in a bag... need to dig it out, which I will later today. I'll post up what they gave me provided I can block the PII. Both sides (them, and I) were very clear, "Yes this is truly an 8 year warranty with unlimited miles."

So... as if the above didn't imply... I did buy it.

2015, 7k miles, ex-service loaner. Silver on black. Premium Plus (which includes LED headlights... so cool!... glass roof, cooled seats, etc.) Tow package. Gloss black trim package. And unicorn status: Burmester.

They have one more unicorn (Burmester-equipped Diesel) left - white on agate, otherwise identical to the silver on black I bought. Tho it might be sold - a good friend of mine went to look at it Saturday and is coming back tomorrow with the wife for review and approval.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:42 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Congrats! Mine is very similar to yours, premium package, black out trim, tow package. A few other small things like 19" turbo wheels and headrest crests. Just Bose tho, no Burmeister and much to my dismay, no air suspension. I really wanted the air suspension, but that's a unicorn find...
Old 01-28-2018, 01:54 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by docwyte
Congrats! Mine is very similar to yours, premium package, black out trim, tow package. A few other small things like 19" turbo wheels and headrest crests. Just Bose tho, no Burmeister and much to my dismay, no air suspension. I really wanted the air suspension, but that's a unicorn find...
Thanks!

I'm gonna try to find a set of wheels - hoping to find a set of gloss black 20" RS Spyder wheels. The dealer cut me a good discount through the parts dept if I wanted to order a set through them (few hundred bucks under the Suncoast price) BUT even then it's a big nut to swallow. Friend of a friend might have a used set, trying to sort that out before I make any other decisions.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:54 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

You need to update your .sig now.

Since I traded in my old Cayenne I kept some parts off of it for my new one. One of the things I kept were the Turbo S Staggered 20" Techno Twist wheels, with almost new Conti DWS06's. Dealer didn't care and I wanted them for summer wheels/tires. Should be an interesting old school Cayenne look on the 958. Since they're staggered they'll also look beefy...
Old 01-28-2018, 06:10 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Ok attached is what I've got.

If I read into it, it's still questionable - but both sales guy, sales manager, finance manager, and regional dealer rep assure me that the 2 y "statement of certification" does indeed apply *after* the 6/100 is up.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:18 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Interesting... I don't think I got a statement of CPO like that in my purchase package, even though it's CPO'd.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:01 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Here's a recent post by a dealer detailing warranty.

"Included with the new 4yr full Porsche warranty the vehicle will have an additional 2yr unlimited mileage warranty added by PAG similar to a CPO warranty. All these vehicles across the country are getting the same warranty. No one has dealt with this before and there is some misinformation about what actually is coming with the vehicle...."

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...and-ready.html
Old 01-29-2018, 06:37 AM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach
Somewhat related...has anybody watched "Dirty Money", Netflix Documentary? First episode is about the VW scandal.
The facts of the case, and depositions by VW employees, say a lot. It's too bad they didn't get at one of the fundamental problems, of VW not installing selective catalytic reduction on 2.0 liter cars. Without doing that, the documentary broad brushed all German brands. For a more detail on the development years (2004-08): http://fortune.com/inside-volkswagen-emissions-scandal

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue