Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 01:49 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EricP
I had my TC replaced Tuesday, fully covered. I brought it in last month 1 day before the warranty (the new one) expired, talk about good timing! At that, it took several days to get it approved as I do have over 100k miles and even though it is unlimited, they do push back by default on anything with over 100k miles.

NOW I get to see if I will be reimbursed for the 2016 TC replacement I paid for, just waiting for the letter to arrive.
Mine is going in next month. It’s getting pretty bad now...Very noticeable bumping in the low gears or when backing up.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:29 PM
EricP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
Mine is going in next month. It’s getting pretty bad now...Very noticeable bumping in the low gears or when backing up.
Excellent! I was getting nervous about driving it and I also use it for towing my boat and jetskis and that was interfering with my fun!
Old 08-21-2020, 09:43 AM
itgrunt
AutoX

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello stuttgart1. I don't know when you originally posted this question and you may have an answer by now, but yes, it can happen in manual shift Cayenne too. It's not supposed to, but it's possible. I have a '11 Cayenne w/6sp and I had to have my transfer case replaced(at my expense) mid year 2018.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:47 AM
itgrunt
AutoX

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stuttgart1
Does anyone know the transfer case issue affect manual transmission V6 Cayenne?
Hello stuttgart1. I don't know when you originally posted this question and you may have an answer by now, but yes, it can happen in manual shift Cayenne too. It's not supposed to, but it's possible. I have a '11 Cayenne w/6sp and I had to have my transfer case replaced(at my expense) mid year 2018.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:47 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was hearing that Porsche may cover the repair cost for the transfer case.....anyone else hear this?
Old 08-24-2020, 03:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike41
I was hearing that Porsche may cover the repair cost for the transfer case.....anyone else hear this?
I guess you didn't think of looking a few posts up in this thread? yes. We've heard it. Yes. We've confirmed it. https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16811794
Old 08-24-2020, 06:07 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

Default Repair cost

What if we paid for the repair already will they reimburse us for previous repair?
Old 08-25-2020, 02:09 AM
deilenberger
Banned

What if we paid for the repair already will they reimburse us for previous repair?
Yes. I'd suggest reading the actual announcement from Porsche - it explains this in detail.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:40 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is at the dealer today - 2013 Diesel. I asked them to look at the 3rd gear 'slipping' as well as the distinctive "gear whine" at all speeds. Waiting to hear what they say.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:38 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

Don,

Sorry for so many questions, the screen shot cuts off about the rembursement for previous repairs,. it says details will be provided....?

Will they send a letter out or somehow contact me?

Old 08-25-2020, 03:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Don,

Sorry for so many questions, the screen shot cuts off about the rembursement for previous repairs,. it says details will be provided....?

Will they send a letter out or somehow contact me?
I expect you'll receive a notification. Or ask your dealer.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:34 PM
13CayenneTurbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
Mine is at the dealer today - 2013 Diesel. I asked them to look at the 3rd gear 'slipping' as well as the distinctive "gear whine" at all speeds. Waiting to hear what they say.
Eager to know how your dealer resolves the 3rd gear slipping issue as I have that same problem.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:32 PM
markk132
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi, strongly considering buying a used 2016 Cayenne GTS and this transfer case issue along with this thread in general is scaring me out of it. Has anyone done any sort of study on the percentage of Cayenne's this affects? Should I just forget about this model all together and wait until the new Cayenne depreciates further? The most awful sounding situations are the people who get their TC replaced and then still have issues, or even worse the people who get told by their dealer that their problem is not "bad enough" and who change fluid regularly but still clearly feel the negative affects of a less than perfect TC. What a horrible experience with an otherwise beautiful SUV. If I buy a Cayenne I want to enjoy it, not be scared of what might happen to the TC or how my experience will be diminished with hesitated/bumpy acceleration.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:05 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by markk132
Hi, strongly considering buying a used 2016 Cayenne GTS and this transfer case issue along with this thread in general is scaring me out of it. Has anyone done any sort of study on the percentage of Cayenne's this affects? Should I just forget about this model all together and wait until the new Cayenne depreciates further? The most awful sounding situations are the people who get their TC replaced and then still have issues, or even worse the people who get told by their dealer that their problem is not "bad enough" and who change fluid regularly but still clearly feel the negative affects of a less than perfect TC. What a horrible experience with an otherwise beautiful SUV. If I buy a Cayenne I want to enjoy it, not be scared of what might happen to the TC or how my experience will be diminished with hesitated/bumpy acceleration.
OK.. realize that a small number of failures relative to the number of vehicles on the road can make a lot of noise on web forums. People reach out to multiple forums with their same problem - making it look larger than it is. People respond to other people reporting an issue often with a summary of an issue they've already discussed. Moral of the story is - without factory numbers - how many Cayennes are actually having transfer case problems is unknown. It's enough that Porsche decided to extend the warranty on the cases. If you're looking for numbers - Porsche AG knows the numbers since all the defective cases were returned to them - probably for rebuilding and perhaps modification by the company that built them originally. I do suspect Porsche is not paying for that rebuilding - the OE is probably eating the cost (hence the rather generous extended warranty on them.)

If you want numbers - we've gathered them here: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...articpate.html - if you go toward the end it will show you how to read the current data. You really need a computer, not a smartphone to do this.

Do they all fail? Nope. Mine is original at 103,800 or so miles. Do ones that exhibit symptoms recover - a good portion of them are restored to good performance by changing the transfer case fluid.. That's a simple, inexpensive job to do. It might add 10 minutes to an oil change. And about $30 for the oil. Most of us who have good cases and are "in the know" have been changing our oil. Mine is about every other oil change - probably 12,000 miles. That's likely more often than needed - but the oil is cheap and labor to do it nothing.

As far as the newer Cayennes - if you go to that forum and browse around you'll find they have some issues - things like simply refusing to start their engines. They are not flawless. The 958 series warts are all pretty much known now - and documented - most of them with DIY fixes or guidance to having it professionally fixed. I've driven my '11 Turbo from NJ to CA and back to NJ so far 3 times. I'm sort of planning on a 4th trip with it if Covad ever releases us from it's grip. The trips I've done - the '11 CTT has performed flawlessly. I'm not concerned about getting stranded with a transfer case simply because it doesn't strand you - it just makes upshifts sort of lumpy. The car still runs, goes like stink and will get you where you're going. If I had a problem with it - I'd deal with it either in LA when I got there or NJ when I returned home.

There are also some guides to rebuilding the cases, and parts ARE available from several sources now. It's not a difficult rebuild - an experienced guy in transfer cases could probably do it in an afternoon, including R&R of the case from the car. Cost of parts was something like $700 IIRC - not a huge amount of money, plus labor rate for a good mechanic for an afternoon - maybe $500?
Very few people who've had TC problems have sold the car because of it. Somehow they managed to get it fixed (changing the oil perhaps) and consider it part of the Porsche experience.. i wouldn't let it stop me from buying another one - but that's me - you may be entirely different if so I'd suggest a Toyota Land Cruiser. They're fat pigs that handle awful - but they never break so they have that going for them. I wouldn't suggest a Lexus RX350 - because despite their reputation for being unbreakable - my wife's RX has had the engine out twice. Most people wouldn't know it - because Lexus fixed (oil leaks) without actually telling me they were doing it. It was in for an oil-change, and they asked if I could pick it up a day later because they had a little leak to fix... never mentioning the engine out next to the car on a lift. My wife also after driving the Cayenne is not that enthusiastic about driving the RX - says it has visibility problems (huge A piller/mirror) and doesn't handle like a German car (I think I spoiled her with the BMW 5-series wagon..)

Anyway - HTH with making a decision. The final moral is - don't look for mountains when most to the action is mole hills. And welcome to the Cayenne forum.

Last edited by deilenberger; 08-26-2020 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:13 AM
markk132
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
OK.. realize that a small number of failures relative to the number of vehicles on the road can make a lot of noise on web forums. People reach out to multiple forums with their same problem - making it look larger than it is. People respond to other people reporting an issue often with a summary of an issue they've already discussed. Moral of the story is - without factory numbers - how many Cayennes are actually having transfer case problems is unknown. It's enough that Porsche decided to extend the warranty on the cases. If you're looking for numbers - Porsche AG knows the numbers since all the defective cases were returned to them - probably for rebuilding and perhaps modification by the company that built them originally. I do suspect Porsche is not paying for that rebuilding - the OE is probably eating the cost (hence the rather generous extended warranty on them.)

If you want numbers - we've gathered them here: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...articpate.html - if you go toward the end it will show you how to read the current data. You really need a computer, not a smartphone to do this.

Do they all fail? Nope. Mine is original at 103,800 or so miles. Do ones that exhibit symptoms recover - a good portion of them are restored to good performance by changing the transfer case fluid.. That's a simple, inexpensive job to do. It might add 10 minutes to an oil change. And about $30 for the oil. Most of us who have good cases and are "in the know" have been changing our oil. Mine is about every other oil change - probably 12,000 miles. That's likely more often than needed - but the oil is cheap and labor to do it nothing.

As far as the newer Cayennes - if you go to that forum and browse around you'll find they have some issues - things like simply refusing to start their engines. They are not flawless. The 958 series warts are all pretty much known now - and documented - most of them with DIY fixes or guidance to having it professionally fixed. I've driven my '11 Turbo from NJ to CA and back to NJ so far 3 times. I'm sort of planning on a 4th trip with it if Covad ever releases us from it's grip. The trips I've done - the '11 CTT has performed flawlessly. I'm not concerned about getting stranded with a transfer case simply because it doesn't strand you - it just makes upshifts sort of lumpy. The car still runs, goes like stink and will get you where you're going. If I had a problem with it - I'd deal with it either in LA when I got there or NJ when I returned home.

There are also some guides to rebuilding the cases, and parts ARE available from several sources now. It's not a difficult rebuild - an experienced guy in transfer cases could probably do it in an afternoon, including R&R of the case from the car. Cost of parts was something like $700 IIRC - not a huge amount of money, plus labor rate for a good mechanic for an afternoon - maybe $500?
Very few people who've had TC problems have sold the car because of it. Somehow they managed to get it fixed (changing the oil perhaps) and consider it part of the Porsche experience.. i wouldn't let it stop me from buying another one - but that's me - you may be entirely different if so I'd suggest a Toyota Land Cruiser. They're fat pigs that handle awful - but they never break so they have that going for them. I wouldn't suggest a Lexus RX350 - because despite their reputation for being unbreakable - my wife's RX has had the engine out twice. Most people wouldn't know it - because Lexus fixed (oil leaks) without actually telling me they were doing it. It was in for an oil-change, and they asked if I could pick it up a day later because they had a little leak to fix... never mentioning the engine out next to the car on a lift. My wife also after driving the Cayenne is not that enthusiastic about driving the RX - says it has visibility problems (huge A piller/mirror) and doesn't handle like a German car (I think I spoiled her with the BMW 5-series wagon..)

Anyway - HTH with making a decision. The final moral is - don't look for mountains when most to the action is mole hills. And welcome to the Cayenne forum.
Hell of a response Don, thanks. I live in Bergen County, is your driveway open for my first DIY TC oil change? I'll bring the beers..

Quick Reply: Transfer case