Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 12:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by kvec
Whoops, my bad. Was referring to this one:

My 2011 CTT has developed a slip shifting into 3rd. Feels like torque converter. Seems to be particularly noticeable in cold weather. I've not noticed it before and we had a particularly wet spring, so I'm wondering if it might be a symptom of the oil having been contaminated, since it sounds like one of the transfer case symptoms.

Have you noticed the slip change at all with TC fluid changes?
Thanks,
Ken
If its the typical torque converter lock up "fake shift", the TC did not change that at all. Even a TC rebuild did not change that behavior.

Originally Posted by CayenneWahoo
It is very good that you mentioned the TC issue to your dealer, I would advise others in similar situation to do the same, with hesitation and definitely prior to expiration of the warranty. I did just this in Memphis. For all, please be sure that your dealer records this issue under your account in the Porsche CRM. This is important b/c it records an identified issue while you are still under warranty. I have been told by technicians that as long as the issue is identified and recorded under warranty, in the vast majority of instances, Porsche will resolve the issue later, even if the car is brought in post-expiration for that specific issue. Other, non-recorded issues, you are out of luck.

I am responding b/c I have had the same issue with my 2013 CS, and I sympathize with everyone on this thread -- with my CS slipping regularly in third gear, although I would describe my experience more as a delay or failure in application of power -- particularly when climbing a moderate hill. I noticed this around town at about ~35 MPH...~in 3rd gear. Finally, after discussing the issue will the dealership and local technicians, all concluded that an entire replacement was necessary. Happily, after an additional 70K miles (this is a daily and long distance driver for me), the car is performing beautifully, and with no issues. For me, driving in the city and having to merge onto a high-speed interstate daily was enough of a concern that I had to nip this issue quickly, and was consistent with the dealership that the TC was producing an unsafe driving condition. The guys in Memphis are quite attentive and pleasant, and I would recommend them to anyone without hesitation, as I would the guys at Perfection Plus in Little Rock, AR (incase we have any folks reviewing this in my neck of the world). Both genuinely are passionate about the product, and want their customers in cars they love, and safe, and for the long-term. A small plug for anyone in LR -- PP has floored me again and again with their service and passion for Porsche, I recommend them more than any other provider I have ever experience. Yes, they are *that* good.

Porsche Memphis was very understanding, ordered the parts and then over 2 days replaced everything. This has to be executed by a official P. technicians to be covered by warranty.

I have read about many work arounds on this thread but my understanding is that informally this is a known issue and dealerships are not surprised that a high percentage of owners have had to have a replacement. This should not be a surprise to any dealership or tech who has worked on a number of CS. Why this is not a mandatory recall I do not know, as this opens a pandora's box of liability for the company.

My honest impression after reading posts over the years is that this will not resolve itself with small patches, nor on its own, nor by changing liquids--these will only delay the inevitable and potentially put you at risk. I, too, had mentioned liquid updates to more than one tech, referencing this thread, and they said "maybe" but looked at me as if I were half crazy and responded with what I shared above: that the T-case needed to be replaced, this has been seen and written about extensively, and the only long term solution is replacement in all situations.

The sad news in this situation, is that additional, future failures with replacement parts have been identified as well. In those cases, nearly uniformly, Porsche owners are out of warranty and then are presented with a not insignificant replacement bill (3 years ago mine would have been in the mid $5k's). Indeed, I may be facing this soon. But, I love the car and baby her. So, at 110K I will make the replacement again, only this time at my expense.

I wish everyone quick resolution to this issue and hope sharing my experience has been helpful.
The TC can be rebuilt cheaply and relatively easily if you have some skills and a few tools. about $600 vs $4k+

Its not a very complex assembly, so there is really no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater if all you need to do is replace a potentially stretched chain or worn clutch disks.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:53 AM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If its the typical torque converter lock up "fake shift", the TC did not change that at all. Even a TC rebuild did not change that behavior.

The TC can be rebuilt cheaply and relatively easily if you have some skills and a few tools. about $600 vs $4k+

Its not a very complex assembly, so there is really no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater if all you need to do is replace a potentially stretched chain or worn clutch disks.
This is absolutely correct. For me fluid and a little friction modifier is working wonders to normalize something that won't ever be "fixed" with a new case. I'm sitting on the parts in case I need to or feel like it. I also got a local A+ tranny shop to quote me roughly $1000 for the R&R using my parts.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by edde
This is absolutely correct. For me fluid and a little friction modifier is working wonders to normalize something that won't ever be "fixed" with a new case. I'm sitting on the parts in case I need to or feel like it. I also got a local A+ tranny shop to quote me roughly $1000 for the R&R using my parts.
thats pretty steep for an experienced entity. Having done it once, I think i could get it done from running car to running car in about 5 hours. I wouldn't think they would charge $200 an hour
Old 04-22-2020, 11:51 AM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
thats pretty steep for an experienced entity. Having done it once, I think i could get it done from running car to running car in about 5 hours. I wouldn't think they would charge $200 an hour
Good point. Maybe something built in there for the "exotic" car owner.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:31 PM
bayerischemotor
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine was replaced at 125.000 km. At dealer for over 6000 euro.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:50 PM
AWACr
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transfer Case Stats

2012 Cayenne Base. Stuttering started at about 80k miles. Replaced original transfer case fluid - immediate improvement. Sample to Blackstone Labs came back with some high numbers which could be attributed to it being the original fluid. Going to change again at 85k and have another test. But so far all is well.
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (05-22-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 04:20 AM
stuttgart1
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stuttgart1
Does anyone know the transfer case issue affect manual transmission V6 Cayenne?
Anyone have heard or experienced transfer case issue on manual transmission Cayenne V6?
Old 05-25-2020, 05:26 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

I haven't had any transfer case issues with my manual but it's got 50K. I haven't heard of anyone having transfer case problems with manuals either but as per the Panorama magazine, manuals are 1.8% of the 958 Cayennes so that might explain it. I think it's the exact same transfer case.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:04 PM
stuttgart1
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dbv1
I haven't had any transfer case issues with my manual but it's got 50K. I haven't heard of anyone having transfer case problems with manuals either but as per the Panorama magazine, manuals are 1.8% of the 958 Cayennes so that might explain it. I think it's the exact same transfer case.
Good to know. I am planning to purchase a Cayenne MT with 68k miles, from my research I couldn't find any info about MT transfer case and if it share the same TC with AT, I figure it could be due to the low number of MT out there.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:18 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

So I think I will soon join the TC club. I have noticed some hesitation when accelerating. Mostly in that 2k rpm range thru 2-4th gear. When coasting, all is fine.

Also have noticed when backing up and turning the wheel at slow speeds, there is a shutter in the wheel.

Annnnnyways, I have 2 questions that you guys and gals may be able to help:

First, Do the symptoms gets progressively worse? I first noticed this last week. I want to take it in but don't feel like hearing the tech argue with me. I can certainly feel it but it may not be to the point where they accept the TC issue right away. Wondering how long you guys drove it before taking it to the dealer.

Second, I have the platinum warranty with Fidelity. It's an exclusionary policy so I think I am good. Have not taken it out to read yet though. I will assume it's covered but figured I'd ask if anyone got the TC replaced with Fidelity and see how that went.

As always, thanks in advance!

- Jason
Old 06-08-2020, 02:33 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 140 Posts

Skip to :28 seconds in

The following 2 users liked this post by jayi836:
Bruin Pcar (07-22-2020), deilenberger (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 10:39 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Rumor has it - that Porsche - perhaps PC-USA has sent out a notice to their dealer shops to try changing the TC fluid if the case is acting up. This sort of puts to bed the old mechanic's comment "Ah...ya' heard that ****e on the internets.. don't believe that stuff.." It's probably cut their warranty expenses in half for transfer cases.
jayi836 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 08:44 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
... It's probably cut their warranty expenses in half for transfer cases.
Agree, and kicked the replacement out to after the warranty expires. There could certainly be a case made that that is exactly what they are doing when that eventually happens more and more.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:53 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Not that it matters much anymore, but I officially got my new transfer case. 55k miles. 2013 CTT.

Was about $4,800 but it was covered by Fidelity.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:18 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So... Just another transfer case problem to add to the list. My 2013 Cayenne GTS (80k miles) began shuddering/slipping in 3rd and 4th gears... Of course, I turned to my favorite forum... Found that I was not alone (kinda like the leaking coolant pipes on my previous 2005 Cayenne S). With very low expectations, I changed the TC fluid this past weekend...

Holy crap batman, it worked! No issue since! I will be replacing the fluid on a semi-regular basis from this point forward! Still can't believe that a simple, 5 minute fix could actually work, but it has... Fingers crossed, it will last.

Thanks to all!
itgrunt (07-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Transfer case