Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 01:56 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by realFerdinand
I’m also in NVA, my 2008 Cbase is having transfer case thumping signs. I’m looking a ebay for used case. But don’t know if the parts are interchangeable with other years and engine size.

any input?
In order to do anything you must find the casting number on the case. Somewhere back in this thread I believe are some pics of the location. Way up high and out of the way. Gonna want to match up everything
to your model and year. The dude in Europe can ship you parts or a built unit for exchange as long as you haven't cracked the case at the drain. I mean parts to do what's in that video cost me about $500. Fedex shipping took 2 days. A remanned unit was maybe $1500 or something. But with the casting numbers he can tell you exactly what's what.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:43 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by realFerdinand
I’m also in NVA, my 2008 Cbase is having transfer case thumping signs. I’m looking a ebay for used case. But don’t know if the parts are interchangeable with other years and engine size.

any input?
2008 is different issue. check 955/957 forum
Old 03-19-2020, 09:18 AM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any TC Failures with the new GNC coated plates?

I have a 2016 Cayenne Base. I had my third transfer case installed at 40k miles in 02/19 under warranty. I presume the dealer installed the new "GNC coated plates" TC. I now have 57K miles on the vehicle with no TC fluid changes and no 3-4-5 gear stuttering. I will be coming out of warranty in 3K miles and will then start doing TC fluid changes. For those with the new GNC coated plates TC's, have any of you experienced a TC failure? For me, so far, it seems that the GNC coated plates has fixed the problem.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:40 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think I'm the latest TC failure. Its been making a sound and feeling like there is a flat spot on the tire, or its shifting 15 times when going up a steep hill. My mechanic drove it today and said it was bad, going in next week for the official repair.

I have a 2014 Turbo with 41,900 miles

Last edited by Mirrorslap; 03-21-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:57 AM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirrorslap
I think I'm the latest TC failure. Its been making a sound and feeling like there is a flat spot on the tire, or its shifting 15 times when going up a steep hill. My mechanic drove it today and said it was bad, going in next week for the official repair.

I have a 2014 Turbo with 4190 miles

4k miles! Assuming that isn't a typo, you might have set a new record!
Old 03-21-2020, 05:14 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendonSF
4k miles! Assuming that isn't a typo, you might have set a new record!
Oops, sorry about that folks missed a zero.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:03 PM
moto one
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may be a mute question, but who is the manufacturer of the TC,s? I ask this because we are about to purchase a Cayenne TDI (read report/blog, they seem to be low in failure), but we went thru a very similar problem with a Mercedes GL (@80k), MB said that it was normal at that milage (WHAT?)with no resolution it went to CarMax.., I believe that the TC was produce by ZF.

Mark.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:54 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

During a recent service on my 14 Cayenne GTS with 62K, they refilled the TC which was nearly half empty of fluid and the thumping was significantly reduced. It's going to need a new TC at some point but was glad topping it off greatly reduced the thumping while in traffic.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:22 PM
PDubya958
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by moto one
This may be a mute question, but who is the manufacturer of the TC,s? I ask this because we are about to purchase a Cayenne TDI (read report/blog, they seem to be low in failure), but we went thru a very similar problem with a Mercedes GL (@80k), MB said that it was normal at that milage (WHAT?)with no resolution it went to CarMax.., I believe that the TC was produce by ZF.

Mark.
The diesel uses the Torsen differential. Supposedly the TC issues affecting the gas versions shouldn't happen but it did to mine. As a precaution I get the fluid changed every 20k now.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
During a recent service on my 14 Cayenne GTS with 62K, they refilled the TC which was nearly half empty of fluid and the thumping was significantly reduced. It's going to need a new TC at some point but was glad topping it off greatly reduced the thumping while in traffic.
Was there an explanation where the missing fluid went? TC's don't consume oil. And they're normally about 1/2 filled (or 1/2 empty) they take 850cc, which is up to the bottom of the threads on the fill hole.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:35 PM
kvec
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

@drdantheman1 did you ever figure this out? I’ve replaced my TC fluid 2x before, never having symptoms.

We had a particularly wet early spring and I’m starting to get exactly the symptoms you’ve described in my ‘11 CTT. Only been about 2500 mi since I last changed out the oil.

Slightly concerned but thinking I’ll replace the oil again before I start getting too worried.
Ken
Old 04-19-2020, 10:04 AM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 117 Posts

kvec, what are you referring to? I've been doing the ravenol TC fluid changes myself now every 10k miles and I think my TC feels great (or at least how it's supposed to feel). I don't have any jerking or rumble strip type feeling in the drivetrain. If I accelerate slowly, I do have some slip when shifting into 3rd but that's from the torque converter. With a little more throttle, it locks up quickly and takes off (all of our prev cayenne loaner cars have felt the same).
Old 04-19-2020, 11:21 AM
kvec
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by drdantheman1
kvec, what are you referring to? I've been doing the ravenol TC fluid changes myself now every 10k miles and I think my TC feels great (or at least how it's supposed to feel). I don't have any jerking or rumble strip type feeling in the drivetrain. If I accelerate slowly, I do have some slip when shifting into 3rd but that's from the torque converter. With a little more throttle, it locks up quickly and takes off (all of our prev cayenne loaner cars have felt the same).
Whoops, my bad. Was referring to this one:

Originally Posted by drdantheman1
Read through the whole thread, I have a ‘16 CS and my only symptom is what feels like a slipping torque converter in 3rd gear. No rumbling, clicking, jerking. Just slipping in 3rd gear. I took it to the dealer which stated the transfer case was already replaced last year by previous owner. They said the car drives normal and won’t be doing anything about it. Our previous ‘16 base had the exact seem feeling, even after having tcase replaced at same dealer.

I read earlier in the thread that this slipping in 3rd gear is normal behavior, is that true? Never had a car do that “normally” before.

Am now resorting to changing the TC oil but as someone mentioned before, there’s been debate whether to go with Ravenol or new Porsche OEM. Any updates from those that have done Ravenol?

Already purchased Ravenol from Amazon and am planning on changing the oil soon, but wondering if I should hold off and stick with OEM fluid.
My 2011 CTT has developed a slip shifting into 3rd. Feels like torque converter. Seems to be particularly noticeable in cold weather. I've not noticed it before and we had a particularly wet spring, so I'm wondering if it might be a symptom of the oil having been contaminated, since it sounds like one of the transfer case symptoms.

Have you noticed the slip change at all with TC fluid changes?
Thanks,
Ken
Old 04-19-2020, 06:08 PM
stuttgart1
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone know the transfer case issue affect manual transmission V6 Cayenne?
Old 04-20-2020, 10:42 AM
CayenneWahoo
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace or Treat? I had to Replace--My Experience

It is very good that you mentioned the TC issue to your dealer, I would advise others in similar situation to do the same, with hesitation and definitely prior to expiration of the warranty. I did just this in Memphis. For all, please be sure that your dealer records this issue under your account in the Porsche CRM. This is important b/c it records an identified issue while you are still under warranty. I have been told by technicians that as long as the issue is identified and recorded under warranty, in the vast majority of instances, Porsche will resolve the issue later, even if the car is brought in post-expiration for that specific issue. Other, non-recorded issues, you are out of luck.

I am responding b/c I have had the same issue with my 2013 CS, and I sympathize with everyone on this thread -- with my CS slipping regularly in third gear, although I would describe my experience more as a delay or failure in application of power -- particularly when climbing a moderate hill. I noticed this around town at about ~35 MPH...~in 3rd gear. Finally, after discussing the issue will the dealership and local technicians, all concluded that an entire replacement was necessary. Happily, after an additional 70K miles (this is a daily and long distance driver for me), the car is performing beautifully, and with no issues. For me, driving in the city and having to merge onto a high-speed interstate daily was enough of a concern that I had to nip this issue quickly, and was consistent with the dealership that the TC was producing an unsafe driving condition. The guys in Memphis are quite attentive and pleasant, and I would recommend them to anyone without hesitation, as I would the guys at Perfection Plus in Little Rock, AR (incase we have any folks reviewing this in my neck of the world). Both genuinely are passionate about the product, and want their customers in cars they love, and safe, and for the long-term. A small plug for anyone in LR -- PP has floored me again and again with their service and passion for Porsche, I recommend them more than any other provider I have ever experience. Yes, they are *that* good.

Porsche Memphis was very understanding, ordered the parts and then over 2 days replaced everything. This has to be executed by a official P. technicians to be covered by warranty.

I have read about many work arounds on this thread but my understanding is that informally this is a known issue and dealerships are not surprised that a high percentage of owners have had to have a replacement. This should not be a surprise to any dealership or tech who has worked on a number of CS. Why this is not a mandatory recall I do not know, as this opens a pandora's box of liability for the company.

My honest impression after reading posts over the years is that this will not resolve itself with small patches, nor on its own, nor by changing liquids--these will only delay the inevitable and potentially put you at risk. I, too, had mentioned liquid updates to more than one tech, referencing this thread, and they said "maybe" but looked at me as if I were half crazy and responded with what I shared above: that the T-case needed to be replaced, this has been seen and written about extensively, and the only long term solution is replacement in all situations.

The sad news in this situation, is that additional, future failures with replacement parts have been identified as well. In those cases, nearly uniformly, Porsche owners are out of warranty and then are presented with a not insignificant replacement bill (3 years ago mine would have been in the mid $5k's). Indeed, I may be facing this soon. But, I love the car and baby her. So, at 110K I will make the replacement again, only this time at my expense.

I wish everyone quick resolution to this issue and hope sharing my experience has been helpful.

Originally Posted by Greenwich07
Wanted to add my statistic to the Transfer Case failure list. My 2013 CS was coming to the end of the Porsche Warranty period after 3 years and approx 30k miles. Thought a check up would be prudent and mentioned to dealer that a slight thumping sound from car in 2nd gear, thought at first it was uneven road but happened too often on different surfaces.

Pleased I asked them to check because turned out TC was failing and was replaced under warranty (day before it expired)

Dealer noticed my front tires were more worn than rear but didn't mention this might be a factor in TC failure, just tried to sell me two new ones.

Last edited by CayenneWahoo; 04-20-2020 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Update

Quick Reply: Transfer case