Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 03:40 PM
Matador1
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

58K. There isn't any indication on the service record about diff oil changes. I bought it with 38k on it.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:11 PM
PDubya958
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
he did say the "filter housing" was replaced.
so a $100 plastic part for a Porsche sounds about right
Yeah. I can check the invoice when I get home on later in the week. The warranty repair was for about $440.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:24 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I took my 2015 Cayenne S in for an oil leak that my Indy found during an oil change. Since it’s in, I figured I’d mention some other stuff that I think could be the TC:

A lot of clicking noises when my window is down, slowly accelerating through a drive through. It only makes the sound when I accelerate.

A whirling sound under acceleration when cold.

Very occasional “bump” when backing out of garage.

Occasional lag or hesitation, sometimes with a “bump” when I decelerate around 3 gear and then quickly accelerate again. Sport mode makes it very jerky and harsh.

They started asking me questions that sound a lot like they suspect a bad TC.

Oh yeah, occasionally when I’m idling, the idle will go up to 900rpm and I’ll have to push down harder on my brakes to keep from moving.

Got a loaner Macan 2020 and I’m at work waiting for an update still. I miss my car already!

Sound like TC issues? Normal driving (just putting around) it’s smooth enough. Getting on it, it can get jerky.

Edit: Add me to the list. Dealer confirmed a bad TC. Swapping under CPO warranty. Shew!

It was the ticking and rough shifting that got them to poke around further.

Last edited by Mrg02D; 01-14-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:42 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 274 Posts

buddy of mine has an '18 Cayenne, he's getting the transfer case replaced after 16k miles!
Old 01-17-2020, 10:28 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Turns out they aren’t changing my TC. Says it’s not bad enough, per Porsche test, to swap. Dern.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:02 PM
Mega Man
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transfer case

Just purchased 2015 Cayenne S with 55 k miles. Had been feeling bumpy on acceleration, like accelerating on a rough road or bad tires, replaced transfer case fluid yesterday with

RAVENOL J1C1125 Transfer Case Fluid TF-0870 - Full Synthetic (1 Liter)

And and felt an immediate improvement. Planning to replace it again in 6 months and then at every other oil change, annually. Was very easy to do, especially with the Ravenol container and it's beautiful pour spout. Re-used original plugs with one wrap of pink heavy duty Teflon tape. I did use a little high temp thread sealer in addition on the lower drain plug as I didn't trust sealer alone since it's nearly impossible to remove all the oil from the female threaded hole of the TC.
Todd
Annapolis MD
The following users liked this post:
itgrunt (07-29-2022)
Old 01-20-2020, 01:05 PM
Mega Man
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
Turns out they aren’t changing my TC. Says it’s not bad enough, per Porsche test, to swap. Dern.
Do do you know what the test is? Is it just how it feels driving or is there something else they judge by?
My 2015 Cayenne S was feeling bumpy on acceleration but just changed fluid with Ravenol and there was an immediate improvement.
Todd
Annapolis MD
Old 01-20-2020, 03:15 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Mega Man
Do do you know what the test is? Is it just how it feels driving or is there something else they judge by?
My 2015 Cayenne S was feeling bumpy on acceleration but just changed fluid with Ravenol and there was an immediate improvement.
Todd
Annapolis MD
The test Porsche tells them to use is to disconnect the power feeding the stepper-motor on the transfer case and go drive it. If the symptoms don't change - it's not the transfer case. If they do change - it's transfer case time.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:31 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Just did the TC fluid swap on my 2016 CD with 51k miles. Holy crap. Nasty, brown, burnt smelling oil came out, clean, clear, somewhat not so smelly fluid went in. I reused the fill and drain bolts with some thread sealer, but when I go to do this in another 50k, not only will the TC get its fluid changed but the front and rear diffs as well.

Can't believe Porsche would go as long as they recommend on a fluid change interval and wonder why they're having issues with TC's...
Old 01-23-2020, 12:39 PM
jferguson6
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

2013 Cayenne Base Model with 79k miles was experiencing stumbling upon acceleration. Most notably going uphill. Problem got progressively worse.
Replaced the transfer case fluid with the Ravenol J1C1125 from Amazon. Take note as the label now shows "Transfer Fluid DTF-1" as opposed to "TF-0870" but the part number J1C1125 matches.
In any case, my problem has been resolved with the fluid change! Wanted to thank this forum and members for all the information provided here!
The following 2 users liked this post by jferguson6:
dollarlongnecks (01-23-2020), itgrunt (07-29-2022)
Old 01-23-2020, 02:39 PM
Mega Man
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jferguson6
2013 Cayenne Base Model with 79k miles was experiencing stumbling upon acceleration. Most notably going uphill. Problem got progressively worse.
Replaced the transfer case fluid with the Ravenol J1C1125 from Amazon. Take note as the label now shows "Transfer Fluid DTF-1" as opposed to "TF-0870" but the part number J1C1125 matches.
In any case, my problem has been resolved with the fluid change! Wanted to thank this forum and members for all the information provided here!
Hey that's awesome to hear! Just had the same results with my 2015 Cayenne S w/ 55k this past weekend when I changed TC fluid with Ravenol. Would have done it sooner but I just purchased this Thanksgiving at 53k. Hoping for long-term positive results. Since it's so simple to do and obviously necessary for whatever reason, I plan to replace TC fluid every 6 months with my oil change.
Todd
Annapolis MD

Old 01-25-2020, 02:49 PM
Ricky Tsui
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I need some advice from you guys about how to deal with this situation. I just got a used 2013 Cayenne Turbo 65,000miles a few months ago with 36 months extended warranty. A few weeks ago, the car "jolting" going from 3rd to 4th gear, the dealership replaced the new Transfer case, the shaft, and the rear differential. But the "jolting" is still not completely fixed, it's just improving and becomes less noticeable. Now the dealership is suggesting to replace the transmission. But the thing is the extended warranty might not cover 100% of it. So what would be my best bet? I know I can try to replace the fluid for the fix. But is this a real fix?
Old 01-25-2020, 07:37 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

It's unlikely changing the fluid will help at 65,000 miles unless the car was badly abused. It would be worth checking the transmission oil level since low fluid can cause those types of symptoms. Why wouldn't the extended warranty cover it? And who is the warranty from? People might want to avoid that warranty company.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:29 PM
fivefathomapple
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, posting again to report that after 27,000 Porsche just confirmed I will be needing my second transfer case. The original TC has 73K on it. The replaced TC was part number 958-341-011 but seems that number has been discontinued. Since I am just over 100k, my dealer said Porsche usually wont help, but since I am a good customer they agreed to fix my Cayenne a second time as long as I pay labor. My question is, does anyone know what the new part number is and have they finally figured out a permanent fix? Also, how many miles are people up to with changing the TC fluid regularly? I am trying to decide if I want to keep or bail on my Cayenne after the second repair is done. Frustrating, because other then the TC, my 2012 Cayenne S really does it all from trailering to the track, to daily driving. Suggestions? Thank you in advance :-)
Old 01-31-2020, 08:52 PM
Mega Man
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fivefathomapple
Hello all, posting again to report that after 27,000 Porsche just confirmed I will be needing my second transfer case. The original TC has 73K on it. The replaced TC was part number 958-341-011 but seems that number has been discontinued. Since I am just over 100k, my dealer said Porsche usually wont help, but since I am a good customer they agreed to fix my Cayenne a second time as long as I pay labor. My question is, does anyone know what the new part number is and have they finally figured out a permanent fix? Also, how many miles are people up to with changing the TC fluid regularly? I am trying to decide if I want to keep or bail on my Cayenne after the second repair is done. Frustrating, because other then the TC, my 2012 Cayenne S really does it all from trailering to the track, to daily driving. Suggestions? Thank you in advance :-)
I'm sorry to hear that! To me, yours is a good argument against using Porsche fluid in the TC. There is obviously a big problem with the TC itself or the fluid compatibility. I know Porsches line about moisture intrusion but don't buy it completely. I purchased my 2015 Cayenne S two months ago at 52k miles with noticeable TC shudder. Just changed fluid with Ravenol TF-0870 two weeks ago and there was an immediate improvement. I will change it once again w Ravenol this summer at 6 months/ 6000 miles and will continue every 6 mos/6-7k thereafter with each oil change. My old fluid doesn't show noticable signs of moisture contamination so I don't know what's up with that... I'm sure there's some truth to it but I don't accept that that's the sole problem with 958 TC's, so many are failing far too quickly!
Todd
Annapolis MD

Last edited by Mega Man; 01-31-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Transfer case