Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 11:05 AM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts

I finally have complete records on our new-to-us 2016 GTS. It has never had the transfer case replaced. Also came from a very dry climate which makes sense with water contamination theory.

I added to survey.

Getting new rubber and gonna have them change out the transfer case oil on Friday while they have the car. I have a bet with the indy that the "lifetime" oil will come out looking like coca cola and not the almost clear amber color it starts out as...
Old 09-25-2019, 03:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by jpru2001
I finally have complete records on our new-to-us 2016 GTS. It has never had the transfer case replaced. Also came from a very dry climate which makes sense with water contamination theory.

I added to survey.

Getting new rubber and gonna have them change out the transfer case oil on Friday while they have the car. I have a bet with the indy that the "lifetime" oil will come out looking like coca cola and not the almost clear amber color it starts out as...
Just warn the indy about overtightening the fill/drain plugs. 3" allen with 2 fingers is good.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:29 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Just warn the indy about overtightening the fill/drain plugs. 3" allen with 2 fingers is good.
Did someone post a torque spec somewhere? I thought I saw it in a transfer case thread but didn't find it this morning.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:52 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

The torque spec is so low it's way easy to overshoot, especially with a clicker type torque wrench. The torque spec I use is a 3" long allen wrench with 2 fingers at the end. Your mechanic should also make note of how deep the plug was installed before removal and not exceed that depth when reinstalling. Many of us buy new fill/drain plugs since they come with a flexible sealant on the thread, and reusing them really isn't advised. If you read the DIY in the DIY subforum most all of your questions are already answered.
The following users liked this post:
SRS (09-30-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 03:56 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jpru2001
Did someone post a torque spec somewhere? I thought I saw it in a transfer case thread but didn't find it this morning.
It's 15 ftlb according to AllDataDIY which means you really need to measure it in in-oz or you'll blow right by it. Since it's a tapered plug and there's no shoulder to stop things it is very easy to over-tighten. Also, there's no real pressure on the fluid and it's got a sealant on the threads so it only needs to be tightened enough so it wont back out.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:31 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Thank you both.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:36 AM
shawnlimzy
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KeeFy
Did you get anywhere with this? I also have a strange buzz from 1700 to 2000rpm under load.
Unplugging the TC made my vibration go away so I am having the TC replaced now. Will report back on the outcome. If the vibration remains it narrows it down to the front axle shaft.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:20 PM
shawnlimzy
Track Day

Originally Posted by shawnlimzy
Unplugging the TC made my vibration go away so I am having the TC replaced now. Will report back on the outcome. If the vibration remains it narrows it down to the front axle shaft.
Update: Got my TC changed out and while I was add it got the oil in my front and rear differential replaced. Vibration is 80% gone but it could be attributed to the change in diff oil,
Old 10-03-2019, 12:29 PM
projectd18
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnlimzy
Update: Got my TC changed out and while I was add it got the oil in my front and rear differential replaced. Vibration is 80% gone but it could be attributed to the change in diff oil,
Intersting i have weird buzzing and vibration on my steering wheel too. I have no jerking shifting or noise...i wonder if its my transfer case going bad. I replaced the oil 10k miles ago as precaution
Old 10-04-2019, 01:02 PM
shawnlimzy
Track Day

Originally Posted by projectd18
Intersting i have weird buzzing and vibration on my steering wheel too. I have no jerking shifting or noise...i wonder if its my transfer case going bad. I replaced the oil 10k miles ago as precaution
Try changing out the differential fluids, I think that was what significantly reduced (but did not fully get rid) of that vibration
Old 10-04-2019, 01:50 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 117 Posts

Read through the whole thread, I have a ‘16 CS and my only symptom is what feels like a slipping torque converter in 3rd gear. No rumbling, clicking, jerking. Just slipping in 3rd gear. I took it to the dealer which stated the transfer case was already replaced last year by previous owner. They said the car drives normal and won’t be doing anything about it. Our previous ‘16 base had the exact seem feeling, even after having tcase replaced at same dealer.

I read earlier in the thread that this slipping in 3rd gear is normal behavior, is that true? Never had a car do that “normally” before.

Am now resorting to changing the TC oil but as someone mentioned before, there’s been debate whether to go with Ravenol or new Porsche OEM. Any updates from those that have done Ravenol?

Already purchased Ravenol from Amazon and am planning on changing the oil soon, but wondering if I should hold off and stick with OEM fluid.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:03 PM
diamond-back
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drdantheman1
Read through the whole thread, I have a ‘16 CS and my only symptom is what feels like a slipping torque converter in 3rd gear. No rumbling, clicking, jerking. Just slipping in 3rd gear. I took it to the dealer which stated the transfer case was already replaced last year by previous owner. They said the car drives normal and won’t be doing anything about it. Our previous ‘16 base had the exact seem feeling, even after having tcase replaced at same dealer.

I read earlier in the thread that this slipping in 3rd gear is normal behavior, is that true? Never had a car do that “normally” before.

Am now resorting to changing the TC oil but as someone mentioned before, there’s been debate whether to go with Ravenol or new Porsche OEM. Any updates from those that have done Ravenol?

Already purchased Ravenol from Amazon and am planning on changing the oil soon, but wondering if I should hold off and stick with OEM fluid.
My '14 Diesel "slips" in third gear initially, but once everything is up to normal operating temp, it no longer exhibits the slipping behavior. I didn't own the vehicle prior to the Diesel fix being applied, so I don't know if this was affected by the software changes. I do not feel like my Mom's '13 GTS does the same "slipping" behavior in 3rd, though. However, on my Diesel, I will say it seemingly feels natural/normal (even if I don't like it, and frequently manually "upshift" on my own to stop the "slip").
Hope this helps...
Old 10-08-2019, 08:29 AM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 117 Posts

Well, did the deed. Literally took 10 minutes. I can't believe how much the dealer was asking for this service, just plain ridiculous. As for the cayenne, felt smoother to me on initial test drive but could be placebo effect. It's the wife's daily, and I know she won't be able to notice any difference, so I'll have to wait until I get more seat time to notice a difference. The fluid that came out was pretty dark though, not completely black, but very dark. My CS has 33k miles and the dealer already replaced the transfer case "last year", I didn't ask the mileage then.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:34 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drdantheman1
Well, did the deed. Literally took 10 minutes. I can't believe how much the dealer was asking for this service, just plain ridiculous. As for the cayenne, felt smoother to me on initial test drive but could be placebo effect. It's the wife's daily, and I know she won't be able to notice any difference, so I'll have to wait until I get more seat time to notice a difference. The fluid that came out was pretty dark though, not completely black, but very dark. My CS has 33k miles and the dealer already replaced the transfer case "last year", I didn't ask the mileage then.
My 13 CD slips in 3rd as well until its warmed up completely. I used the Rav fluid - I did mine a couple of weeks ago. It's stupid easy to do. The dealer here wanted something like $3K to do what I did myself for $500. Brakes, diff fluids, transfer case, and oil change.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:29 PM
beachbrum
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger

Should be rather obvious..

Just make sure you loosen the fill plug first so you know you can refill it before draining it. Plan on about 0.8 Liters of oil (800cc) draining out. Fill capacity IIRC is 850cc. You fill it until oil starts coming out of the fill hole. Then it's "full"..

And the case is right under the vehicle, almost dead center behind the engine/transmission.
lame newbie question here but from which direction is this photo taken. Am I looking towards the front of the vehicle?

Quick Reply: Transfer case