Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 09:46 AM
diamond-back
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Jonnyony
I've got a 2014 Cayanne 3.0L Diesel. Weird issues which sound like they could be TC related.

1.) Flare on shifting from 2-3
2.) Occasional jerk/surge forward when coming to a stop or when starting off

I'm still scratching my head as to why a TC can cause such symptoms. Can anyone else confirm the above may be a TC symptom?

Cheers,
I have a 14 diesel. Have had no TC issues.
1) I'm not sure what you mean by flare shifting from 2-3, but the software doesn't let third gear fully engage (allows it to slip) until everything is up to operating temps... so the first 15+ mins of driving the diesel from a cold start, it acts this way (letting third seem to slip, or in your verbiage, flare)
2) This is just drive-by-wire jerkiness, in conjunction with the software learning your driving habits. For example, if you mostly drive very conservatively, and then you are in an aggressive mode, you experience this. And vice versa, if you generally drive normal to aggressive, but try doing hyper-miling and delicate throttle modulation, hickup, jerk, annoyance.

From what I understand, Porsche doesn't have any software adjustments they can make to alleviate the above annoyances.

-Cory
Old 08-20-2019, 07:51 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SnP
For the record, had done two flushes that only solve s the problem for a few days

With the additive it has been perfect
This^^^^

I've got roughly 12,000 miles since adding transx fluid after poor results from several oil changes. I even let an indy shop guy do some 65,000 mile stuff on the car and he thinks it operates just right.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:32 AM
shawnlimzy
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,

Hoping to get some inputs. I've been trying to fix a vibration in my 2011 Cayenne S with only 40k km for a long time. It is a strong vibration that can be felt at the steering wheel and pedals, only under load between 1700RPM and 2000RPM across all gears.

Long story short, I unplugged the transfer case and the vibration was gone. I'm now left wondering if I should isolate the issue to the transfer case or if it could also be due the front diff/front axle shaft as stated in the service bulletin posted above by Kari as torque is no longer going to the front, masking some sort of vibration going on there. Anyone of you experienced the same symptom/know how to tell for sure? I see that most of your cars exhibited jerking but there is not much on a rough engine/vibrations.

I've been having a hard time convincing the dealer that the vibration is caused by the transfer case as they insist that the car would be jerking. Car is still under warranty and I am in Singapore.

Would greatly appreciate any advice, thank you in advance.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Interesting. The "standard" test in the US from Porsche for transfer case failures is to unplug it and see if whatever you're chasing goes away. But your problem really doesn't sound like any that have been reported here, so you're correct in looking at the front drive assembly. CV joints on the drive-shafts would certainly be a possibility. What does the dealer claim the issue is since they've dismissed the transfer case?
Old 09-06-2019, 12:54 PM
shawnlimzy
Track Day

I actually got an indie to do the unplug transfer case test after reading this thread because for some reason, the dealer was reluctant to do so. Prior to this test, the dealer changed:

1. Engine and Gearbox Mountings
2. Ignition Coils
3. Spark Plugs
4. Engine Belts and Tensioners (recently recommended as a possible cause by them - not covered under warranty)

I intend to head back to the dealer now that I know for sure that it's either the transfer case or something in the front drive assembly but I hope to be armed with more info on which is more likely to be the cause.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:34 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Have you had the front differential oil changed and what did it look like when it came out?
Old 09-07-2019, 12:39 PM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a recently purchased 2016 GTS (3.6L V6) with 80k miles that is on the original transfer case. Granted I've got the 21's which translates to a lot of rotational intertia, but for having 440hp I feel like the car is underwhelming. Stomping on the throttle in most cases does not provide an impressive burst of power; it takes a while to build. When the car shifts into third gear, it often times feels more like it's going into 5th.

I don't have any clunking or grinding. There was one incident where I stepped on it, and as soon as the car hit 3rd gear it felt like it lost about 80% of it's power. I've read some feedback here about sluggishness associated with TC slippage. I'm curious if this is common without having any of the other noises/side effects? Would unplugging the wiring harness help diagnose this particular issue?

For what it's worth, I already changed the TC fluid, though granted it was with Redline. The plan is to swap it out with OEM.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:02 PM
dbonds
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendonSF
I have a recently purchased 2016 GTS (3.6L V6) with 80k miles that is on the original transfer case. Granted I've got the 21's which translates to a lot of rotational intertia, but for having 440hp I feel like the car is underwhelming. Stomping on the throttle in most cases does not provide an impressive burst of power; it takes a while to build. When the car shifts into third gear, it often times feels more like it's going into 5th.

I don't have any clunking or grinding. There was one incident where I stepped on it, and as soon as the car hit 3rd gear it felt like it lost about 80% of it's power. I've read some feedback here about sluggishness associated with TC slippage. I'm curious if this is common without having any of the other noises/side effects? Would unplugging the wiring harness help diagnose this particular issue?

For what it's worth, I already changed the TC fluid, though granted it was with Redline. The plan is to swap it out with OEM.
This may sound obvious, but just to confirm - ensure the boost gauge is enabled on the dash, and confirm you're getting boost when you floor it. There is some bad code in the original ECM for some 2016 S and GTS models that would prevent boost under some conditions. ECM upgrade code is available from Porsche (via dealer) if you're confirmed to have this issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by dbonds:
deilenberger (09-08-2019), kvec (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 01:11 AM
shawnlimzy
Track Day

Originally Posted by r553
Have you had the front differential oil changed and what did it look like when it came out?
Yes I did but the dealer changed it as part of the major service to I didn't get to see the condition of the previous oil. Didn't make any difference to the vibrations.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:50 PM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by dbonds
This may sound obvious, but just to confirm - ensure the boost gauge is enabled on the dash, and confirm you're getting boost when you floor it. There is some bad code in the original ECM for some 2016 S and GTS models that would prevent boost under some conditions. ECM upgrade code is available from Porsche (via dealer) if you're confirmed to have this issue.
Thank you so much; this is definitely my problem. Boost starts to climb and drops off to zero consistently. I effectively don't have any turbos. I'll take her in next week!
The following users liked this post:
kvec (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 12:52 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

Thank you so much; this is definitely my problem. Boost starts to climb and drops off to zero consistently. I basically don't have any turbos. I'll take her in next week!
Makes you wonder how many folks out there with these that have never gotten the ECM update.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:52 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Found out today that my case was replaced just before I bought my GTS, should I add to the survey?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
Found out today that my case was replaced just before I bought my GTS, should I add to the survey?
Won't hurt.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:53 AM
dbonds
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Thank you so much; this is definitely my problem. Boost starts to climb and drops off to zero consistently. I effectively don't have any turbos. I'll take her in next week!
Hopefully the new code fixes your issue - see the other thread at https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-of-power.html for the full story. At this point, the last couple of posts on that thread are when I had mine updated relatively recently. Would be good to post your results over to THAT thread (to clear it out of this transfer case thread) once you've had a few days with the new code.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:16 AM
KeeFy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnlimzy
Hi All,

Hoping to get some inputs. I've been trying to fix a vibration in my 2011 Cayenne S with only 40k km for a long time. It is a strong vibration that can be felt at the steering wheel and pedals, only under load between 1700RPM and 2000RPM across all gears.

Long story short, I unplugged the transfer case and the vibration was gone. I'm now left wondering if I should isolate the issue to the transfer case or if it could also be due the front diff/front axle shaft as stated in the service bulletin posted above by Kari as torque is no longer going to the front, masking some sort of vibration going on there. Anyone of you experienced the same symptom/know how to tell for sure? I see that most of your cars exhibited jerking but there is not much on a rough engine/vibrations.

I've been having a hard time convincing the dealer that the vibration is caused by the transfer case as they insist that the car would be jerking. Car is still under warranty and I am in Singapore.

Would greatly appreciate any advice, thank you in advance.
Did you get anywhere with this? I also have a strange buzz from 1700 to 2000rpm under load.

Last edited by KeeFy; 09-26-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Transfer case