Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 11:39 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Doug,

Unless you have limited slip or PTV (Porsche torque vectoring - aka - computer-controlled torque-distribution on the rear diff) I can't begin to fathom why adding a slip-lock additive to a differential would make ANY difference at all.

There is no clutch in an open differential, and that's what the vast majority of Cayennes are equipped with. Porsche decided they could use electronic control of the brake system to provide the same benefits (and more, better) than mechanical limited-slip differentials could and at the same time eliminate the complexity, cost, and weight of limited-slip diffs. The only reason they use a clutch-type differential in the PTV is to computer control distribution of torque on the rear wheels. the computer tells the differential to put more torque on the outside wheel in a turn, effectively pushing the car around the turn. And if you do have PTV - I suspect adding slip to the differential is exactly the wrong thing to do since the car's computer is counting on a certain torque-force pushing the car into a turn, coming from the rear outside wheel. Having less power there would probably result in going wide in a corner unless the computer and differential can compensate for the change in clutch friction.

I use straight 75W-90 GL5 in my differentials, and they've been trouble-free for an awfully long time.
I do have PTV. And my car works perfectly. I didn't realize not all cars have limited slip differentials. Disregard my previous posts. I will try to delete it.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:03 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,145 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
I do have PTV. And my car works perfectly. I didn't realize not all cars have limited slip differentials. Disregard my previous posts. I will try to delete it.
I'd guess PTV is maybe 5-10% of Cayenne's sold. And while it is a clutch differential, it's not actually a limited-slip differential. Those are strictly mechanical. I do know some people with PTV's have had issues with them behaving badly - snapping and crackling around corners - so if that happens - some slip additive might be an answer, but I don't think I would just add it. I would be inclined to change the oil more frequently than recommended and make sure to use the special oil type Porsche spec's (I'd guess it has some slip additive as part of it's formula.)
Old 12-20-2019, 01:37 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So when you are in the tight turning conditions and have the tight feeling, would just a change of new diff. oil correct this noise and feel? Would you change both front and rear?

I have 74k miles on it and I don't believe the diff oil has ever been changed.

Also, I changed the TC fluid with friction modifier mix and it fixed my condition. This year should I just change fluid only if I currently have no issues? Or replace again with friction mod. fluid and TC fluid?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-21-2019, 07:48 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,145 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike41
So when you are in the tight turning conditions and have the tight feeling, would just a change of new diff. oil correct this noise and feel? Would you change both front and rear?

I have 74k miles on it and I don't believe the diff oil has ever been changed.

Also, I changed the TC fluid with friction modifier mix and it fixed my condition. This year should I just change fluid only if I currently have no issues? Or replace again with friction mod. fluid and TC fluid?

Thanks,
Mike
Last question first - IF you didn't try the transfer case after ONLY changing the oil - then I'd suggest you do, and not add friction modifier unless it continues to have symptoms. If you do add it - add it in very small increments until the symptoms subside.

I'm not certain what you mean by "tight feeling" - almost all cars feel heavier on a very sharp radius turn with the steering wheel on full lock. Unless you have Porsche Torque Vectoring aka PTV (unlikely) - changing the differential fluid won't make a lot of difference in that feeling. It's certainly not a bad idea to change the differential oils.. make sure you're using the correct oil. If you have PTV - then the rear differential uses a different kind of oil. If not - both front and back should be happy with GL4/5 75W90 synthetic gear oil.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:49 PM
PDubya958
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had my 60k mile service done at the stealerrship. One of the things they recommended was the TC fluid. Seems like they have been notified to recommend it. I have a diesel but had TC exchanged on 11/2017 @33k miles
Old 01-02-2020, 06:36 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by PDubya958
I just had my 60k mile service done at the stealerrship. One of the things they recommended was the TC fluid. Seems like they have been notified to recommend it. I have a diesel but had TC exchanged on 11/2017 @33k miles
how much did the stealerrship quote you to preform the service?
Old 01-02-2020, 06:48 PM
Matador1
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So last month the dealer installed a new transfer case in my 12 CTT. However this did not get rid of the noise it was making so another trip to the dealer. Now what they are telling me is they are replacing the line holder bushings for the PDCC. It appears that the grinding noise is from the vibration of PDCC lines vibrating when pressure is run through it. Who knew. I should have it back in a couple of days.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:11 AM
PDubya958
Advanced

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
how much did the stealerrship quote you to preform the service?
$180 fluids/parts, $160 labor, $340 total. Also my filter housing was leaking. That was replaced under warranty.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:59 PM
Kirill
Racer

$180 fluids/parts, $160 labor, $340 total. Also my filter housing was leaking. That was replaced under warranty.
180$ in parts WTF ?
Even at MSRP Transfer Case oil is 75$ - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUTRAN.html
Old 01-06-2020, 02:42 PM
PDubya958
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kirill
180$ in parts WTF ?
Even at MSRP Transfer Case oil is 75$ - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUTRAN.html
Anyone know how much oil the case hold? And we dont call it the stealership for no reason!!! Usually close to a 100% mark up.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:45 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirill
180$ in parts WTF ?
he did say the "filter housing" was replaced.
so a $100 plastic part for a Porsche sounds about right
Old 01-06-2020, 03:11 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
he did say the "filter housing" was replaced.
so a $100 plastic part for a Porsche sounds about right
There is no "filter housing" in transfer case.
Could be for plastic filter housing for the engine oil filter - but than another question arises - who broke it ?
Old 01-06-2020, 03:15 PM
Kirill
Racer

Anyone know how much oil the case hold? And we dont call it the stealership for no reason!!! Usually close to a 100% mark up.
I believe one bottle of 850ml is the correct fill if you don't spill any. I saw a video where the guy drained TC and compared it to 850ml amount - drained amount was slightly larger - but may be this was due to contamination.

here is the video - comparison is at 1:10 mark
Old 01-06-2020, 03:34 PM
Matador1
Advanced

I have an update on my most resent post. The dealer replaced the bushing for the PDCC lines that they said were causing vibration. Well after picking up my car and driving to my office, the noise was still there but now as pronounced and seem to be coming from the rear end. So I had a technician drive it and fortunately it made the grinding sounds from the rear end. Now they are saying that it is the differential. It does have PTV. They told me 5-6 weeks for a new diff to come from Germany. So thankful for the CPO warranty.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:37 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by Matador1
I have an update on my most resent post. The dealer replaced the bushing for the PDCC lines that they said were causing vibration. Well after picking up my car and driving to my office, the noise was still there but now as pronounced and seem to be coming from the rear end. So I had a technician drive it and fortunately it made the grinding sounds from the rear end. Now they are saying that it is the differential. It does have PTV. They told me 5-6 weeks for a new diff to come from Germany. So thankful for the CPO warranty.
Wow, how many miles you have ? Was the fluid ever changed in rear diff ?

Quick Reply: Transfer case