Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 04:27 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I emailed the class attorneys and never heard back. Need to make a phone call
I've been talking with them about mine. Unfortunately (sort of), the cold weather has made my problematic vehicle behave well. May have to put this on the shelf until it warms up a bit.

But I wonder if this is an FTC issue that this attorney might be interested in. Class counsel is bound by the settlement, now.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:44 AM
BoersID
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LVM for council as well and nothing back from them.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:21 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
I've been talking with them about mine. Unfortunately (sort of), the cold weather has made my problematic vehicle behave well. May have to put this on the shelf until it warms up a bit.

But I wonder if this is an FTC issue that this attorney might be interested in. Class counsel is bound by the settlement, now.
Well, I really would like to speak to them. My issue has also gone away, but it was documented as existing.

They are bound by the settlement, yes, but as I wrote to Porsche, I believe that the "fix" is in violation of the Consent Decree, which states that we must be given an "Approved Emissions Modification Disclosure" or as I call it, "the booklet" that we got from VWOA. That booklet clearly states "other than described in this booklet, drivers should not notice any adverse changes in vehicle reliability, durability, performance, drivability or other driving characteristics". And this "hesitation / lag / surging' that many of us are complaining about, which I would certainly describe as a change in "drivability" or at the very least, classify as "other driving characteristics" certainly was never discussed. The only things that were mentioned as potential effects were, as follows: engine sound, shift patterns, downhill driving, sport mode, DEF consumption and decreased fuel economy".

The consent decree specifically states on page 39, lines 1-8

"As described more fully in Appendix B to the DOJ 3.0 liter Consent Decree, the Approved Emissions Modification Disclosure will describe in plain language:"......."(5) any and all reasonably predicable changes resulting from the Approved Emissions Modification including, but not limited to, changes to reliability, durability, fuel economy, noise vibration, vehicle performance, drivability and any other vehicle attributes that may reasonably be important to vehicle owners".

Furthermore, the Consent Decree Appendix B defines Drivability as:

Drivability means the smooth delivery of power, as demanded by the driver or operator. Typical Drivability degradation are rough idling, misfiring, surging, increased hesitation, or insufficient power". (emphasis added by me).

So, the consent decree states that the Approved Emissions Modification Disclosure (i.e. the pamphlet we got before signing off) will state any changes, including drivability. A degradation in Drivability is defined by surging, increased hesitation, or insufficient power. The disclosure / brochure we got mentions none of this.

Yet many of us have it, and it's documented.

Honestly, I believe that this "Approved Emissions Modification" does not meet the Consent Decree and Porsche / VWOA is in Violation of the Consent Decree. And that most definitely is the responsibility of the class attorney to enforce, unless someone with greater legal knowledge can correct me.

So if you know one of the attorneys who will call back a class member, I'd absolutely be thrilled to walk them through this.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 11-12-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:06 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

The first listed one. I previously found they return via phone call on same day I posted an inquiry in their website
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2018, 10:39 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

I was in for service last week with the 911. Fixing my Cayenne came up in conversation with my service advisor. He said about half of his customers are not happy with the fix.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I was in for service last week with the 911. Fixing my Cayenne came up in conversation with my service advisor. He said about half of his customers are not happy with the fix.
And I bet the other half are like the woman I encountered yesterday. I drive a Tornado Red Golf GTI as my daily. Was walking through the parking lot at an office building and unlocked the door and opened it. From behind me I hear "oh, I thought that was my car!". I turned around to see a woman walking toward me, keys in hand. "We have the same car", she said, "I got confused". She kept walking past my car and I was parked next to a work van so I could no longer see her. I got in my car and backed out, then pulled away, ready to roll down my window and say "nice car!".

And I saw her getting into a Red Ford Focus hatchback.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:43 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

And I bet the other half are like the woman I encountered yesterday. I drive a Tornado Red Golf GTI as my daily. Was walking through the parking lot at an office building and unlocked the door and opened it. From behind me I hear "oh, I thought that was my car!". I turned around to see a woman walking toward me, keys in hand. "We have the same car", she said, "I got confused". She kept walking past my car and I was parked next to a work van so I could no longer see her. I got in my car and backed out, then pulled away, ready to roll down my window and say "nice car!".

And I saw her getting into a Red Ford Focus hatchback.
Lots of people buy cars the same way I buy a washing machine. She probably bought that particular car because it’s red, and had air conditioning.

Those same people are the ones who say we are stupid for buying a $80k Cayenne when a Hyundai has all the same features for $20k.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
Lots of people buy cars the same way I buy a washing machine. She probably bought that particular car because it’s red, and had air conditioning.

Those same people are the ones who say we are stupid for buying a $80k Cayenne when a Hyundai has all the same features for $20k.
But aren't we?
Old 11-16-2018, 04:01 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

But aren't we?
Well they're definitely not wrong for calling us that....
Old 11-16-2018, 10:35 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 102 Posts

Just now received an email from
"VW Settlement Update" <Administrator@qgemail.com>
" Dear ----------- ,
.You are receiving this letter because you may be eligible to receive a remedy, including compensation, under the 3.0-Liter VW/Audi/Porsche Diesel Emissions Settlement, but you have not yet filed a claim and/or scheduled an appointment to receive the Emissions Compliant Repair. "
Wonder where VW/Audi/Porsche stands in getting a percentage of the fleet modified to avoid further penalties?
We have not gotten ours 'fixed' as we need the low end torque and range to drive ours where and how we do.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:34 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS-America
Just now received an email from
"VW Settlement Update" <Administrator@qgemail.com>
" Dear ----------- ,
.You are receiving this letter because you may be eligible to receive a remedy, including compensation, under the 3.0-Liter VW/Audi/Porsche Diesel Emissions Settlement, but you have not yet filed a claim and/or scheduled an appointment to receive the Emissions Compliant Repair. "
Wonder where VW/Audi/Porsche stands in getting a percentage of the fleet modified to avoid further penalties?
We have not gotten ours 'fixed' as we need the low end torque and range to drive ours where and how we do.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:32 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Just received my notification from VW about not having my Cayenne fixed. Letter went right into the circular file.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
Just received my notification from VW about not having my Cayenne fixed. Letter went right into the circular file.

They threaten anything yet?
Old 11-21-2018, 03:19 AM
RS-America
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 102 Posts

They threaten anything yet?
Our letter seemed advisory only.
We would not mind getting a 'fix' if they would come up with one that did not degrade low end torque, performance, and range.
These were critical points of our purchase decision along with its off-road capability.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:43 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
Me too. I've got another year with the added warranty. Really in no hurry to do this fix.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue