Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:48 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Much less than that I just keep it. 8 years warranty + 125k miles? I'll drive wheels off it.

I just bought parts for the 40k service. will have my indy do it. for like 1/3 dealer cost.
I'm gonna have to start researching that...

Originally Posted by Searcher356
You could ask for a different loaner, if that would help you. If you haven't alienated your Dealer, I'm sure they will work with you.
This.

I was in a loaner for 2 weeks and when I stopped into the dealer one day, the guy asked me if I wanted to trade out the loaner I had (Panamera) for something else, just for fun.

So long as you haven't whined or been a pain to the service guys I bet they'd let you swap it out for something different.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:15 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
So long as you haven't whined or been a pain to the service guys I bet they'd let you swap it out for something different.
Given past posts, I suspect this may be the heart of the issue.

For our loaners, on our CD or BS, we've had other Cayennes (base, hybrid), Boxsters (base and S), Panamera 4, 911 Cab 4. Can't complain about our dealer!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:17 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

we wanted a Macan loaner when the active engine mount failed on my 991, just to check one out, but we had to settle for a Panamera.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:24 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm late to the party as I finally got around to reading the Dec 22 Status Report from the Court. I found a lot of interesting info although the gag i.e. confidentiality order is still in effect so the details were not yet disclosed. But at least there was clarity along the lines of the Gen I case and the Gen II case (Cayenne owners are all in the Gen II case). Although the judge did say he has not read the settlement - since there is not yet one to read - he did signal he has reasonable confidence there will be a preliminary proposal as outlined in the agreement in principle delivered by the Settlement Master by offering his view that there will be "substantial" compensation for both Gen I and Gen II classes, 1/2 of which will become available at settlement date and the other 1/2 at "approved fix or buyback" date. Of course one's definition of substantial can be another's definition of meager.

Of second point of interest is his outlined timing - next status update on Jan 18, 2017 with filing of preliminary approval Jan 31, 2017 in anticipation of a hearing of preliminary approval on Feb 4, 2017.

It is my conjecture that although the court has stated a fix may take the rest of 2017 or longer, we will find out much sooner if the government regulators will ever approve any fix and hence whether or not the Gen II vehicles will be subject to repair or buyback. I'm betting on an approved fix - strictly based on my reading between the lines of this Dec 22 status report, assuming the court recorder correctly captured the statements from PSC, VAG, Gov parties.

Finally if a fix is approved it will be very interesting to read the language around how a post-fix vehicle will perform versus pre-fix vehicle, excluding emissions (since that will be the whole point of any fix). My guess is there will be an agreed allowable percentage deviation (for argument sake, let's say not to exceed 5%) from original performance characteristics. Of course that also opens a whole new discussion of what should be measured to ascertain the performance deviation. Whew ! It goes on and on ... now I can see why it may take the rest of 2017 ... C'est la vie
Old 01-10-2017, 03:53 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skiahh
Given past posts, I suspect this may be the heart of the issue.

For our loaners, on our CD or BS, we've had other Cayennes (base, hybrid), Boxsters (base and S), Panamera 4, 911 Cab 4. Can't complain about our dealer!
I asked for a 911 Turbo once. They laughed. (I did not expect them to actually have a 911 Turbo for a loaner...)

I asked for a Carrera 4... they didn't laugh, but said, "Oh our last one is down for service right now..." I did not expect them to actually have a Carrera for a loaner either, so I was a little surprised at his response! I figured their 'fleet' was Cayennes, Macans and Panameras.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:02 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stronbl
I'm late to the party as I finally got around to reading the Dec 22 Status Report from the Court. I found a lot of interesting info although the gag i.e. confidentiality order is still in effect so the details were not yet disclosed. But at least there was clarity along the lines of the Gen I case and the Gen II case (Cayenne owners are all in the Gen II case). Although the judge did say he has not read the settlement - since there is not yet one to read - he did signal he has reasonable confidence there will be a preliminary proposal as outlined in the agreement in principle delivered by the Settlement Master by offering his view that there will be "substantial" compensation for both Gen I and Gen II classes, 1/2 of which will become available at settlement date and the other 1/2 at "approved fix or buyback" date. Of course one's definition of substantial can be another's definition of meager.

Of second point of interest is his outlined timing - next status update on Jan 18, 2017 with filing of preliminary approval Jan 31, 2017 in anticipation of a hearing of preliminary approval on Feb 4, 2017.

It is my conjecture that although the court has stated a fix may take the rest of 2017 or longer, we will find out much sooner if the government regulators will ever approve any fix and hence whether or not the Gen II vehicles will be subject to repair or buyback. I'm betting on an approved fix - strictly based on my reading between the lines of this Dec 22 status report, assuming the court recorder correctly captured the statements from PSC, VAG, Gov parties.

Finally if a fix is approved it will be very interesting to read the language around how a post-fix vehicle will perform versus pre-fix vehicle, excluding emissions (since that will be the whole point of any fix). My guess is there will be an agreed allowable percentage deviation (for argument sake, let's say not to exceed 5%) from original performance characteristics. Of course that also opens a whole new discussion of what should be measured to ascertain the performance deviation. Whew ! It goes on and on ... now I can see why it may take the rest of 2017 ... C'est la vie
Well I'll keep my fingers crossed and continue enjoying my CD in the meantime.

Based on my loose understanding of the issues with our CD's (vs. the 2.0's) is it was almost more of an administrative/documentation problem than physical cheat/defeat device - so I think I'd be surprised to find that the CD's can't be fixed.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I asked for a 911 Turbo once. They laughed. (I did not expect them to actually have a 911 Turbo for a loaner...)

I asked for a Carrera 4... they didn't laugh, but said, "Oh our last one is down for service right now..." I did not expect them to actually have a Carrera for a loaner either, so I was a little surprised at his response! I figured their 'fleet' was Cayennes, Macans and Panameras.
I asked for the used 997 GT3 RS they had in used inventory. I promised no more than 30 miles. .
Old 01-10-2017, 09:40 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Ok I'll try to find some way to keep this on topic, though I'm not sure how. SignDoc has point in 'his' situation. One would hope however that explaining that he needs something larger would remedy the situation, it would with my dealer. My dealer will try to put me in something better or newer because they know I buy frequently. They know I'm easily enticed . One other thing, I've driven a Macan 2.0, it is NOT nearly as nice as my NOX spitting Cayenne Diesel (on topic part ), of course this is just my view. I have driven other Macans and they are very nice, especially the GTS .
Old 01-10-2017, 09:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

shop uses a 4wd connected dyno. I'd be more than happy to get a few pulls on mine before the fix :-) And then after. I actually care 'less' about the efficiency, if its a few MPG or more pee water I can deal with that. but don't take my torque.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:59 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Ok I'll try to find some way to keep this on topic, though I'm not sure how. SignDoc has point in 'his' situation. One would hope however that explaining that he needs something larger would remedy the situation, it would with my dealer. My dealer will try to put me in something better or newer because they know I buy frequently. They know I'm easily enticed . One other thing, I've driven a Macan 2.0, it is NOT nearly as nice as my NOX spitting Cayenne Diesel (on topic part ), of course this is just my view. I have driven other Macans and they are very nice, especially the GTS .
I was also loaned a Mecan 2.0. In its own right, it is a nice driving vehicle. Then got back into my NOx spewing CD and found a world of difference. Just does everything better.
Now thinking back a few years ago about that bright blue Boxster S loaner- so fun, but you really feel the speed.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:35 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

You all see the 2.0 modification list yet?

11 year 162k warranty.
Higher pollution
More DEF usage - up to 14% more
No mention of gas mileage though. Which is telling imo.

I stand by my previous statement - the 3.0 owners are getting bent over.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan A
You all see the 2.0 modification list yet?

11 year 162k warranty.
Higher pollution
More DEF usage - up to 14% more
No mention of gas mileage though. Which is telling imo.

I stand by my previous statement - the 3.0 owners are getting bent over.
Source? Something does not add up. The fix cannot allow more pollution.

Also, not sure your point, to be honest. Bent because no buyback? I agree with you on that point.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:41 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Just saw this...what the hell is going on with VW-AG on this? Dayum...don't know what to make of this.

http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...n=awdailydrive
Old 01-11-2017, 07:50 AM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Source? Something does not add up. The fix cannot allow more pollution.

Also, not sure your point, to be honest. Bent because no buyback? I agree with you on that point.
Wanna bet?

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en...Volkswagen.pdf

Read page 5 - last paragraph.

If the 3.0 is being "fixed" to the same standard as this - and $ to donuts it is - you get a car that pollutes more and uses more DEF. I read the whole thing and didn't see anything about gas mileage, so you know that's going to be improved, right?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:30 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan A
Wanna bet?

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en...Volkswagen.pdf

Read page 5 - last paragraph.

If the 3.0 is being "fixed" to the same standard as this - and $ to donuts it is - you get a car that pollutes more and uses more DEF. I read the whole thing and didn't see anything about gas mileage, so you know that's going to be improved, right?
You are correct. It's been a while since I read the 2.0 Consent decree. I forgot the parameters of the fix. It is stated in there that not all generations are being brought into 100% compliance.

It also states that VW must notify the owners of any changes in performance or MPG.

But your assumption about the 3.0 liter cars is incorrect. If you read the preliminary Consent decree, you will see the targets the fix for the 3 liter cars must achieve. And that IS their Original standards. It also says that if the fix cannot meet original emissions standards, then we must be offered a buyback, but VW can request a fix that meets a different standard.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue