Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 10:33 AM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

skiahh, my post was little on the sarcastic side and while it was observational I don't think it would be a smart move by VAG to apply a fix and lie to us again. We have discussed in this forum a few times about monitoring. Regarding your point about they would tell us and it would be on the service form...agree, they better or else they are in some added hot water. So.... I believe that we should all be letting our dealer know that any service to our cars that changes the performance or mileage spec need to be explained thoroughly.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:52 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

This article mentions increased urea consumption as part of a possible V6 fix.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/legal-c...-diesel-drama/
Old 07-22-2016, 04:34 PM
donald121
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r553
This article mentions increased urea consumption as part of a possible V6 fix.
If that's case, give us life-time free adblue. Adblue is cheap anyways.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:26 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by donald121
If that's case, give us life-time free adblue. Adblue is cheap anyways.
DEF is cheap... if you get it at Walmart or Costco. If you get the extra special, gold plated dealer brand (Porsche, Mercedes, Dodge... doesn't matter), it's stupid expensive!

If DEF consumption goes up and costs an extra $1 per 10,000 miles, I can live with that, even if they don't give us the extra DEF, as long as mpg stays the same.

Hmmm... just read the article. They're saying it will double the DEF consumption. That's still not a big cost, but I agree... that ought to be provided free.

I wonder if that's why we have the 5,000 mile oil change interval? And if doubling consumption means we'll have to refill every 2,500 miles? That would be inconvenient.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:32 PM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r553
This article mentions increased urea consumption
The increased urea consumption will probably the most significant modification.

On one of the early videos posted by the German guy who hacked the software you can see that the defeat software uses much higher urea amounts during the emission test and then suddenly reduces urea injection the moment the emission test finishes. This was done to keep urea fill-ups in synch with 10k mile oil changes. Thus, I am guessing those with 3l TDI engines will get urea for a long time for free.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:56 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Full to empty has gotten me 12.5k each time so far. So doubling the usage pretty much means a refill at every OCI. If you catch it on sale that $30 more or an extra $60 if you don't plan ahead. Don't even want to consider what the increased cost from the dealer would be.

Regarding the OCI length, there have been a few UOAs performed that appear to lend credence to the 5k interval over the original 10k. I know there was one done around the 7.5k mark and the notes that came back were that the oil was pretty well done at that point.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:09 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Whatever. We have all speculated before this scandal why Porsche required 5,000 miles service rather than VW/Audi's 10k. As far as I am concerned, they knew about the emission issues and sold me the car anyway. As the spokesperson of the law firm I am communicating with, they sold me a nonexistent car. It would be interested to hear, if this ever goes to a court trial, how Porsche explains the difference between their service intervals and that of VW/Audi for basically the same engine.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:47 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by visitador
Whatever. We have all speculated before this scandal why Porsche required 5,000 miles service rather than VW/Audi's 10k. As far as I am concerned, they knew about the emission issues and sold me the car anyway. As the spokesperson of the law firm I am communicating with, they sold me a nonexistent car. It would be interested to hear, if this ever goes to a court trial, how Porsche explains the difference between their service intervals and that of VW/Audi for basically the same engine.
Based on the analysis it would seem that there is good science behind the reduced interval. What would be interesting would be to see similar reports from T-Reg or Q7 after a 10k interval.

The the question would be why the difference and being related to the emission issue is pretty low on my list of guesses. Porsche has tuned the ECU different which could have something to do with it. Porsche has less volume so may be more risk adverse in that regard. Porsche could simply care about their customers more (yeah, I'm laughing too). etc..

OCIs have been getting longer for years and those of us that care about our cars have distrusted that. In some cases the intervals were even reduced over time (ex. the 996 started with an obscene 15k interval and was later reduced).

Not everything is part of a conspiracy.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:49 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche went to the 5k service interval because of bio-diesel here in the States. I'm sure the urea is topped off then, too. VW and Audi are still at 10k for the 3.0 diesel.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:24 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fincher
Porsche went to the 5k service interval because of bio-diesel here in the States. I'm sure the urea is topped off then, too. VW and Audi are still at 10k for the 3.0 diesel.
Ah yeah, I forgot about our "clean" diesel being sludge by European standards.

Still makes no since when VW and Audi haven't also reduced their intervals though.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:28 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

But from that article, it looks like Porsche knew about the defeat software when it decided to put a diesel in the Cayenne. It can't just say we got the engine from Audi and it was Audi who did it.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:34 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
It would be interested to hear, if this ever goes to a court trial, how Porsche explains the difference between their service intervals and that of VW/Audi for basically the same engine.
Different tunes of the same engine can produce more soot or need different lubrication. That's not a big issue, really.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:48 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gnat
Ah yeah, I forgot about our "clean" diesel being sludge by European standards.

Still makes no since when VW and Audi haven't also reduced their intervals though.
Yes, makes no sense. In VW's case, it extended HPFP warranty to 10/100k in bio-diesel states. Maybe Porsche would rather change the oil more frequently.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:45 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fincher
Yes, makes no sense. In VW's case, it extended HPFP warranty to 10/100k in bio-diesel states. Maybe Porsche would rather change the oil more frequently.
If you had people paying you $500 a pop to change the oil, wouldn't you want them to change it more often too?
Old 07-23-2016, 12:19 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
If you had people paying you $500 a pop to change the oil, wouldn't you want them to change it more often too?
You nailed it. An OC on my old twin turbo BMW was $100, once per year or 12-15k miles. The first service on my twin turbo V8 Mercedes was $300, same interval as the BMW. I don't blame fellow owners who DIY.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue