Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016 | 04:59 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh
I wonder if that applies to just those vehicles that can't be fixed and for the CD and other 3.0l owners, it'll still be just the recall/fix plus the warranty?

It will be interesting to learn the details.
The $5k would not be enough for me to have it modified. If they think that's enough compensation to modify my CD and put up with the lost resale value, it's a non-starter.
Old 04-20-2016 | 05:01 PM
billyg
Advanced

Just came back from the dealer. They believe a simple software update and the extended warranty is all they are hearing. Oh yeh and a kick in the ***! If that's it, the " boss " wants to get rid of it and buy another Mercedes.
Old 04-20-2016 | 07:03 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Pure speculation so far. My dealer thinks buy back is a possibility
Old 04-20-2016 | 08:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

There were conflicting stories today - in Road and Track's Facebook page..

1st "rumor" - VW would be giving TDI owners $5,000 due to lesser value of the faulty vehicles. No word on fixing the actual issue.

2nd "rumor" - pretty much cancelling the 1st one. VW would be buying the vehicles back, up to 2 years from the date of the agreement with the court. They'd base the price on the value of the vehicle in September 2015 before all this blew up.

It will be interesting to hear what ACTUALLY is going to be VW's offer to the court.
Old 04-20-2016 | 08:54 PM
fincher
Racer

I don't see the 3.0 being bought back. Also, any payout ($5k?) for a 3.0 diesel will only happen if the vehicle is fixed. I don't see getting cash and then choosing not to get the fix.
Old 04-21-2016 | 12:04 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
The $5k would not be enough for me to have it modified. If they think that's enough compensation to modify my CD and put up with the lost resale value, it's a non-starter.
Especially if a golf tdi gets the same $5k.
Old 04-21-2016 | 12:14 AM
fincher
Racer

Originally Posted by gnat
Especially if a golf tdi gets the same $5k.
True, except the Golf TDI may not be fixable.
Old 04-21-2016 | 12:58 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I think you'd be on the wrong end of the argument if you simply said, "they modified it, I want money or for them to buy it back."

If they alter the software and it solves the problem but doesn't change the performance or mpg, even if it ups the urea usage some, I don't think any court would side with you.

Now, if mpg or performance declines because of the fix, then they have truly modified the vehicle from the one you bought and you have the upper hand.

I mean, by your logic, if you took your vehicle in for the circlip recall and they found you didn't have one and installed it, they've modified your vehicle and you're entitled to... whatever it is you want for "modifying" your vehicle.

Porsche promised you performance and mpg... but they never made any promise to you (OK, at least they didn't to me when I bought my vehicles) about resale value, did they? If the answer is no, how do you claim they broke that promise by lowering the resale value of your vehicle?
Old 04-21-2016 | 01:11 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
There were conflicting stories today - in Road and Track's Facebook page..

1st "rumor" - VW would be giving TDI owners $5,000 due to lesser value of the faulty vehicles. No word on fixing the actual issue.

2nd "rumor" - pretty much cancelling the 1st one. VW would be buying the vehicles back, up to 2 years from the date of the agreement with the court. They'd base the price on the value of the vehicle in September 2015 before all this blew up.

It will be interesting to hear what ACTUALLY is going to be VW's offer to the court.
Less of a rumor now: http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...ces/ar-BBs2iUT

But the 3l engines aren't included in this solution, so I think we're still getting a flash.
Old 04-21-2016 | 01:53 AM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

It would seem if a simple flash were the solution it would have been done months ago to allow cars to be sold and not **** off the dealers, etc.

Not only that, if a simple flash were the solution for the 3.0's think of the face that could have been saved ("see, we weren't that bad, it was a software thing") and goodwill generated by at least showing some progress toward a solution. I'm not buying it. It would seem in this case you take care of the 'low hanging' (easy solutions) first, even if the number of cars involved is smaller.

I wonder if the fix puts more strain on the pollution control equipment and leads to earlier failures as written about/hypothesized today in various articles.

But the 3l engines aren't included in this solution, so I think we're still getting a flash.
Old 04-21-2016 | 02:04 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

So...folks are still in limbo for their Cayenne Diesels it seems....at least the 2.0L folks will be made whole to a degree but wonder how that will all work out from an equity standpoint and losses by the 2.0L owners.

As for 3.0L diesel engines...probably will be the flash and new catalytic converters at this point still from what my service/sales folks said this weekend at Cars and Coffee. Nothing has changed there...yet. That will likely take $$ and time to produce to meet the affected cars and may not be fully vetted/certified by CARB or the EPA yet or the Courts thus the silence. Remember there are three things/parties involved here with a vote outside of VW unfortunately. Soooo...not sure if that is enough to make folks whole especially if mpg and/or performance is diminished. So some progress yes but still some significant hurdles for VW to cross I think before they can put this fully in the rear view mirror.
Old 04-21-2016 | 02:48 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by B.Kish
It would seem if a simple flash were the solution it would have been done months ago to allow cars to be sold and not **** off the dealers, etc.

Not only that, if a simple flash were the solution for the 3.0's think of the face that could have been saved ("see, we weren't that bad, it was a software thing") and goodwill generated by at least showing some progress toward a solution. I'm not buying it. It would seem in this case you take care of the 'low hanging' (easy solutions) first, even if the number of cars involved is smaller.

I wonder if the fix puts more strain on the pollution control equipment and leads to earlier failures as written about/hypothesized today in various articles.
The flash is probably very simple, and was probably done and ready a couple of months ago.

Getting approved by CARB and FDA is, as you can imagine, somewhat less than simple. And now that they've been caught snoozing and a company was able to pull this off, they'll want their pound of flesh and make sure they scrutinize every IF statement, every sensor table, every whatever is in the software. That's what is taking so long, I'm sure.
Old 04-21-2016 | 07:48 AM
TAch Miami
Racer

From USA Today

"Volkswagen is said to be close to announcing a deal to compensate U.S. owners of its scandal-afflicted diesel vehicles as the company approaches a critical federal court hearing Thursday without a publicly identified plan to fix those vehicles.

The company is expected to offer individual owners $5,000 apiece, according to a report by German newspaper Die Welt.

The plan could help the embattled German automaker avoid a trial in San Francisco before U.S. District Court Judge Charles R. Breyer, who had set Thursday as a deadline for Volkswagen to deliver a fix involving vehicles that violate U.S. emissions standards.

Two Volkswagen officials declined to comment on the report."

Old 04-21-2016 | 08:22 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
From USA Today "Volkswagen is said to be close to announcing a deal to compensate U.S. owners of its scandal-afflicted diesel vehicles as the company approaches a critical federal court hearing Thursday without a publicly identified plan to fix those vehicles. The company is expected to offer individual owners $5,000 apiece, according to a report by German newspaper Die Welt. The plan could help the embattled German automaker avoid a trial in San Francisco before U.S. District Court Judge Charles R. Breyer, who had set Thursday as a deadline for Volkswagen to deliver a fix involving vehicles that violate U.S. emissions standards. Two Volkswagen officials declined to comment on the report." __________________ 2014 991 TT 2013 958 CD
Old news and looks like incorrect info.
Old 04-21-2016 | 09:30 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

I think you'd be on the wrong end of the argument if you simply said, "they modified it, I want money or for them to buy it back."

If they alter the software and it solves the problem but doesn't change the performance or mpg, even if it ups the urea usage some, I don't think any court would side with you.

Now, if mpg or performance declines because of the fix, then they have truly modified the vehicle from the one you bought and you have the upper hand.

I mean, by your logic, if you took your vehicle in for the circlip recall and they found you didn't have one and installed it, they've modified your vehicle and you're entitled to... whatever it is you want for "modifying" your vehicle.

Porsche promised you performance and mpg... but they never made any promise to you (OK, at least they didn't to me when I bought my vehicles) about resale value, did they? If the answer is no, how do you claim they broke that promise by lowering the resale value of your vehicle?
Would you give them a blank check on the amount and extent of modifications? Took three trips to my dealer to have my tires balanced correctly and these same guys are going to replace my catalytic converter! Do you really think changing the software code is enough to make it comply and if so, why wasn't it done in first place? Would you be happy knowing this new code puts more strain on existing pollution control devices, reduces performance and increases AdBlue consumption?

They should present the modifications, come clean about changes in performance and then discuss what the deal is. It sounds like it's being shoved down our throats, but we will see soon enough.

Now about resale value- the value of our cars was affected by deceptive trade practices. Not clunky design, bad luck or changes in technology. Deception. Ever owned a stock where the company made misleading statements? CD owners made an investment in an asset (albeit a depreciating one) based on statements and representations made by Porsche (VW). We have a reasonable expectation that are cars are subject to depreciate due to market conditions, not deceptive trade practices.

That being said- i am real fan of my CD.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue