Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 01:55 AM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, my love affair with my CD will be brief. Got a call from the selling dealer that Porsche is requiring him to buy the car back from me. He read me the letter partially but it sounded, unfriendly. And it made several references to non compliance with emissions. Makes me think that this issue isn't going to be resolved soon or maybe easily, even with the 3.0 diesels. Can't say I'm surprised.

Anyway, he's promised to make me whole (sales price, tax license, shipping, etc). Got the use of a great car for free for the month
Old 03-29-2016, 01:58 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Pretty sure you have no obligation to sell it back. But you don't want a blackballed vin.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:27 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Kish
Well, my love affair with my CD will be brief. Got a call from the selling dealer that Porsche is requiring him to buy the car back from me. He read me the letter partially but it sounded, unfriendly. And it made several references to non compliance with emissions. Makes me think that this issue isn't going to be resolved soon or maybe easily, even with the 3.0 diesels. Can't say I'm surprised.

Anyway, he's promised to make me whole (sales price, tax license, shipping, etc). Got the use of a great car for free for the month
What year is yours? I have not heard from my dealer on that and I have both a '14 and a '15 diesel Cayenne
Old 03-29-2016, 09:44 AM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

This was a used car transaction on a 15 CD that took place 2/23/16 sold by a Mercedes dealer that also has a Porsche dealership. I don't want to say the dealer right now. They seem to be doing the right thing and genuinely embarrassed. The sale/change of ownership was reported to Porsche and that's when the red flags went up. When this all blows over maybe I'll spill the beans.

So far as I know Porsche is still allowing CDs to be listed on their used car locator website which seems odd if you don't want them sold. When we were looking there was a split between dealers. Some felt they had the go ahead to sell, some didn't. I guess they don't.

Originally Posted by f4 plt
What year is yours? I have not heard from my dealer on that and I have both a '14 and a '15 diesel Cayenne
Old 03-29-2016, 09:45 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 182 Posts

Is this a special circumstance...or are we all going to get calls?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:29 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Just speculation. It looks to me that B.Kish's CD was in the Porsche side of the dealer's inventory but they tried to circumvent the stop sale by moving it to the MB side. Had the CD be strictly been in the MB side, I doubt POA had any power to stop the sale.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:51 PM
sirwilliamaye
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Is this a special circumstance...or are we all going to get calls?
Its a special circumstance. Once the stop sale was introduced, dealers could no longer sell 14-16 diesels. It sounds like they sold the vehicle after the stop sale was made known. There has been zero internal news on any diesel buy backs.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:48 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by sirwilliamaye
Its a special circumstance. Once the stop sale was introduced, dealers could no longer sell 14-16 diesels. It sounds like they sold the vehicle after the stop sale was made known. There has been zero internal news on any diesel buy backs.
Probably that is what occurred. Our car was stopped at port and dealer said there was no way they could sell it. When I mentioned other dealers selling cars on the used sites and as loaners previously used I was told too that was a no-no and if Porsche got win of this there may be issues. Sounds like this may be a case of that occurring,
Old 03-29-2016, 11:17 PM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Talked to the dealer several times today. They are HOT and BOTHERED to get this car back. He said they were specifically told by Porsche (by a Porsche rep in January) what they did would be legal if the car was titled. It was titled, to a sister dealership, previously. Seeing as how there are (were) a TON of CD's for sale in this regional area there was a misunderstanding by the Porsche rep or a misinterpretation of what was said. Either way, it's not just this dealer in this area that's going to be in trouble.

In any event, the car is being picked up in the next week or two. He's already cut a check to reimburse me for every dime I paid so no harm no foul.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:13 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

should have made them buy it back for an extra 10%. They would have no problem screwing you over if you decided a month later that you wanted to trade it in.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:32 AM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

I suppose I could have. Bad Karma... Having a conscious... Golden rule....

I don't begrudge him what happened. Look online, there are dozens, if not more dealers who have the same interpretation of what Porsche allowed them to do. He's just a guy, trying to stay in business and move a few the 22 Cayenne diesels that are collecting dust/losing value. We don't know how much or even IF Porsche is paying him anything for this. And you know all those cars on the lot are financed, not usually through the manufacturer, so he's paying interest on those cars. I don't usually defend dealers because I think right now it's a Wild Wild West mentality with some of them with GT4's, GT3's etc but this situation sucks for them.

The reality is, when he pays my sales tax (almost 10% in itself) and for the snow tires I bought for next season, to have the car shipped here and back, etc he's lost over 15% and he didn't argue on any of it.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:50 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

I suppose I could have. Bad Karma... Having a conscious... Golden rule....
And you know all those cars on the lot are financed, not usually through the manufacturer, so he's paying interest on those cars.

The reality is, when he pays my sales tax (almost 10% in itself) and for the snow tires I bought for next season, to have the car shipped here and back, etc he's lost over 15% and he didn't argue on any of it.
I read that P is reimbursing the dealers to cover their interest costs.

Agree on the Karma...Golden Rule stuff. In return maybe they or another dealer will give you a break on a future ride.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Whats the deal with the 2015/16 CD's on ebay. Several are by Porsche dealers with under 20 miles, obviously new.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:13 PM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

He is already offering me a 2016 at a stellar deal when the stop sale ends so the karma stuff may pay off.

Originally Posted by v10rick
I read that P is reimbursing the dealers to cover their interest costs.

Agree on the Karma...Golden Rule stuff. In return maybe they or another dealer will give you a break on a future ride.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:23 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

He is already offering me a 2016 at a stellar deal when the stop sale ends so the karma stuff may pay off.
That was my thought if you wanted to stay in the Cayenne world. "So rather than a check, let's talk about what you can do for me on a GTS"

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue