Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 05:03 PM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Having had a car bought back, I called the regional Porsche rep for clarification since PCNA still lists them on their locator and dealers still advertise them.

He said the stop sale WAS voluntary but is not now. It is government mandated. It is 100% for VAG dealers, no sales of Cayenne diesels of ANY kind (used, new, titled, etc)

He said his understanding is the issue can be resolved via software not hardware for the V6's but gave no time line and didn't know why the issue was taking so long to resolve.

He suggested I may be able to buy the car back when the stop sale ended. I told him the selling dealer made me an offer on a 2016 that was maybe better than the 2015 for when the stop sale ended. He didn't say the 2016's were all being rounded up and brought back to the Fatherland.

I think that was it. Helped my better understand some of the confusion.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:43 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Kish

He said his understanding is the issue can be resolved via software not hardware for the V6's but gave no time line and didn't know why the issue was taking so long to resolve.
I have a hard time believing the emissions can be brought into compliance with changing some lines of code without significant increases in fuel consumption and adblue and reduced power. If a reflash is all that's needed, it would have been done long ago.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:14 PM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

He said it was how it would be fixed but the devil is in the details because he didn't say anything about AdBlue or fuel consumption which will obviously change. We've seen that with the "fix" in Europe which is software only and has been stopped due to increased fuel consumption.

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I have a hard time believing the emissions can be brought into compliance with changing some lines of code without significant increases in fuel consumption and adblue and reduced power. If a reflash is all that's needed, it would have been done long ago.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:17 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
As I understand it, the stop sale is voluntary, from a legal perspective. The government did not (and has not, as far as I've heard) require Porsche to stop selling the CD. Porsche took the step on their own. Possibly to head off a government requirement, but so far, they haven't... or at least it hasn't been made public if they issued one to Porsche. So there is no legal bar to these vehicles being sold; new or used. And let's make sure when we say "legally" we're referring to the law and not what PCNA requires of its dealers policy-wise... I'm sure those policies have legal implications within the franchise agreement, but to you and me, not so much.

Porsche can require whatever they want of their dealers, but if I've bought a vehicle, they can't require ME to sell the vehicle back to them. There's the rub. They can entice me to resell the vehicle by offering to buy it from me at more than I paid for it, but a simple refund may not be sufficient for me to relinquish the vehicle.

If it's sold as a new vehicle, as long as the vehicle warranty has not been specifically denied, then they must honor it. Same with CPO. If it's sold as-is, then it would fall to the dealer to cover any type of promised and implied warranty. That seems to be the only real hook PCNA might have in "forcing" someone to give up a vehicle, but I don't see how they could say no warranty after the sale and make that stick.

So if it's legally (as in under the law, not PCNA policy) sold, PCNA has no legal means to force me to return the vehicle. I would be very curious to hear how the dealers that have sold and then had to retrieve a CD are presenting the issue to the owners.

As for making the buyer whole, I guess buying it back would have to happen as basically a full refund, so the only remaining problem would be any trade-in as far as making a buyer whole.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer (nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night), so for the lawyers out there, if I'm wrong, please educate me and the rest of us on what would happen if we simply said no, I'm not returning the vehicle I legally purchased.
Hmm...I think there is more to it than that. Dealers and manufacturers are not stupid so I can bet there is something in the paperwork real or implied that covers them in such situations. You can say no and they can void out your warranty and probably have all kind of remedies much like the lemon law requires them to buy back a defective vehicle..sure they have some counterpart that allows them to protect their property and brand name!

Porsche is notorious for regulating sales (maybe not as much as some other luxury brands) but they do protect it. I have seen them blacklist folks for violating sales policies and that is real. Individuals on those lists cannot get certain cars or models from dealerships so I am sure that some recourse does exist for them in that we are not purvue to.

Originally Posted by gnat
That's my take. I think at this point if the VAG brands not done the voluntary stop sale (or rescinded it) then I'd say there is a better than average chance that the government would step in and say "No sales for you!".

PCNA's reaction and forcing dealers to try to buy them back may be a continuation of that in that they don't want the government to think they are doing an end run and then have them step in.

You signed a lot of paperwork when you bought the car with some pretty ugly (in my opinion) binding clauses.

When I bought mine I crossed out a few of the clauses and told them they were unacceptable (that I couldn't sell it with in 6 months and binding arbitration being the big ones). They didn't bat an eye and initialed right next to me.

My point being that there could very well be something in there to cover their *** in such a situation.

I also think that if they are coming and saying "we'll give you back your purchase price and cover other related expenses" most people just won't see it as worth fighting. Especially if they throw in a good deal on a non-diesel model.

I would expect that if you refused, then you'd get a nasty gram from either their lawyer or one from PCNA's army. At that point you'll have to get a lawyer of your own and your costs are going to go up while your ability to recoup your costs will go down.

I love mine, but if I had just bought it and they came with hat in hand just after I bought it and offered a solution where there was no cost to me and maybe even some benefit, I wouldn't have fought it.
Agree...in most cases I think the real pressure is on the dealership to buy the car back and return it to Porsche. Thus they seem to be adequately motivated to obtain the car on buy back even at a loss to them. If Porsche cuts their allocations or refused to allow them certain vehicles as a result of them going against their stop sale rule which they as the manufacturer can impose then I can imagine their long term viability could be a question which would probably make them vigorously pursue such action. Its probably a matter of minimizing their losses at that point and maintain good will from Porsche from a dealer management and ownership standpoint.

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 04-16-2016 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:21 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Having had a car bought back, I called the regional Porsche rep for clarification since PCNA still lists them on their locator and dealers still advertise them.

He said the stop sale WAS voluntary but is not now. It is government mandated. It is 100% for VAG dealers, no sales of Cayenne diesels of ANY kind (used, new, titled, etc)

He suggested I may be able to buy the car back when the stop sale ended. I told him the selling dealer made me an offer on a 2016 that was maybe better than the 2015 for when the stop sale ended. He didn't say the 2016's were all being rounded up and brought back to the Fatherland.

I think that was it. Helped my better understand some of the confusion.
As if things couldn't get better...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...te-documentary

This will improve things a lot and surely get a fix approved immediately by all involved parties!
Old 04-15-2016, 02:10 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

He said it was how it would be fixed but the devil is in the details because he didn't say anything about AdBlue or fuel consumption which will obviously change. We've seen that with the "fix" in Europe which is software only and has been stopped due to increased fuel consumption.
In terms of priority in my mind 1. Torque, 2. smoothness of engine 3. fuel consumption. I am willing to shove in gallons of refined pee each week (paid by POA of course) if that means engine behaves as it is today.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Yep, agreed. The stop "fix" just goes to show what a mess this is.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:07 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Porsche is notorious for regulating sales (maybe not as much as some other luxury brands) but they do protect it. I have seen them blacklist folks for violating sales policies and that is real. Individuals on those lists cannot get certain cars or models from dealerships so I am sure that some recourse does exist for them in that we are not purvue to.
Yeap that's what the "no resale" clause in my contract was about. Apparently at the time they were having an issue with US cars being bought and then shipped to China for resale at prices that were seriously undercutting their new car sales there (the US is on the cheaper end of new car prices while China is on the higher end).

They were very clear that regardless of if that clause was included, if my VIN turned up in the grey market in China I'd never be able to purchase another new Porsche.

I've also heard of people getting blacklisted when it was found that they were just a shell buyer for someone else already on the blacklist.

I've heard rumors that the blacklist includes used Porsches from Porsche dealers too, but I have no confirmation about that.

If Porsche cuts their allocations or refused to allow them certain vehicles as a result of them going against their stop sale rule which they as the manufacturer can impose then I can imagine their long term viability could be a question which would probably make them vigorously pursue such action.
I've seen that first hand too. The dealer we bought both our cars from apparently disagreed with PAG/PCNA over the 944/928 and refused to sell them. Even in 98 when we started talking to them about our 996 PCNA was still withholding allocations from them which is why it took us 2 years to get our build slot.

The original management finally left and now they are back in PCNA's good graces.

PCNA is as ruthless as the Catholic church and has just as long of a memory!
Old 04-15-2016, 01:55 PM
billyg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contacted New Hampshire Lemon Law Arbitration Board. In order to validate a claim for compensation, you must have had @ least 3 repair attempts that failed. Without a proposed fix the only course of action suggested then would be to submit to the Board a non compliant inspection report within 3 months of the next inspection due date along with a written notice that Porsche has no fix to date. Well, my 14 passed inspection each year since the original purchase!. So why would the vehicle all of a sudden not pass?
Old 04-15-2016, 02:44 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by billyg
So why would the vehicle all of a sudden not pass?
Until your state changes their testing procedure or you have an actual emissions failure, it won't.

They can refuse to register your care if you haven't applied the recall fix, but if they decide to do that it won't be until after there is a fix and there has been a reasonable amount of time for you to get the fix applied.

Lemon law application has been discussed before and it simply doesn't reply. There is simply nothing broken on your car for them to fix.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:42 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
Yeap that's what the "no resale" clause in my contract was about. Apparently at the time they were having an issue with US cars being bought and then shipped to China for resale at prices that were seriously undercutting their new car sales there (the US is on the cheaper end of new car prices while China is on the higher end).

They were very clear that regardless of if that clause was included, if my VIN turned up in the grey market in China I'd never be able to purchase another new Porsche.

I've also heard of people getting blacklisted when it was found that they were just a shell buyer for someone else already on the blacklist.

I've heard rumors that the blacklist includes used Porsches from Porsche dealers too, but I have no confirmation about that.

I've seen that first hand too. The dealer we bought both our cars from apparently disagreed with PAG/PCNA over the 944/928 and refused to sell them. Even in 98 when we started talking to them about our 996 PCNA was still withholding allocations from them which is why it took us 2 years to get our build slot.

The original management finally left and now they are back in PCNA's good graces.

PCNA is as ruthless as the Catholic church and has just as long of a memory!
Yes my buddy got put on one of those said list (yes they do exist gents) for the suggestion that he could resale his GT4 order if they kept trying to hike up the agreed price. In the end he got no GT4 and a blacklist for falling afoul of PCNA! So I wouldn't doubt that they are demanding the cars back and heaven help the dealer who can't get it back on the reservation as the folks I've talked to have said that Porsche while being pretty unclear about when/where the fix will occur and come from has been VERY clear on dealers NOT to try to sell the cars or suffer the consequences. Often it seems that occurs in the way of lost/cut/removed allocations and any launch cars and other Porsche love! In this economy most GM and SM's can't afford that (to have someone go to the other guy or brand) as there are a lot of options at that price point for a luxury sports car out there now a days and even alternate dealers who have no problem with out of state buyers!
Old 04-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I think tomorrow is the big day. VW needs to submit a acceptable plan for compliance or the court will decide their fate.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:36 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dbltime
I think tomorrow is the big day. VW needs to submit a acceptable plan for compliance or the court will decide their fate.
good luck with that one. Not expecting much of anything. Too many moving parts to coordinate and align one would think! GL
Old 04-20-2016, 04:08 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

For what it's worth and not sure this is the amount going to Porsche/Audi owners:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/20/vw-to...-die-welt.html
Old 04-20-2016, 04:43 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

I wonder if that applies to just those vehicles that can't be fixed and for the CD and other 3.0l owners, it'll still be just the recall/fix plus the warranty?

It will be interesting to learn the details.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue