Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 01:07 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

OK, after having the truck back for a few days, here's my input (2013 CD w/97K miles):

tldr; Once warm, the car is pretty much the same as it was with a tad off the very top. When cold it's a bit different, louder, shifts a bit different, but generally feels good if not a bit jumpy or aggressive. MPGs seem to be along their estimate of -1 mpg.

The day after I got the truck back I drove it about 4 hours, mostly 2-lane HW where I did a lot of passing. I'm heavy footed in general, so speeds got up to 115. It did seem as if a bit of the upper range has been peeled back a little bit, as passing in the 90+ mph range didn't seem quite as strong as before. However, it's barely noticeable and most people probably don't do that sort of driving often (nor should I). Everything else in terms of HW driving is pretty much the same, shift points appear to be the same, and I didn't notice any other differences. On the first leg of the trip I was making a good clip, and spend most of the time in the 85 mph range. According to the PCM, I drove 150 miles in 2:04 with an average speed of 73 and was getting 23.1 mpg. That's probably about right on par with their estimates, as my average over the last 7000 miles is just under 24.

Driving around town also appears to be mostly unchanged. Shift points may be a tad different when pushing it hard, but minimal.

Sport Mode was mostly something I rarely used, as the car felt fine without, mpgs suffered, and it always seemed to be a touch too harsh for that vehicle. In my limited testing since the fix, it actually seems a little tamer and smoothed-out, with a feel I could actually see myself using more often. Don't have any info on mpgs in sport mode.

Now, when cold, the truck is a bit different, but improves until the oil gets to about 120 deg. It got down in the 40's here the last two nights, so I got a few cold sessions in. There is definitely more noise from under the hood when accelerating from a stop, I get lots of diesel "knocking/pinging" that I didn't have before, and the truck kind of jumps or jerks a bit like it really wants to go. I can't tell it it's corresponding to the turbo ramping up, but it's difficult to accelerate smoothly, and you just end up accelerating faster than you intended. It does feel nice and strong though so I just need to spend more time with it in the cold to see if I can get a feel for the throttle differences.

Overall I think I'm good with it. Especially with the $$$ and extra warranty.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:42 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
OK, after having the truck back for a few days, here's my input (2013 CD w/97K miles):

tldr; Once warm, the car is pretty much the same as it was with a tad off the very top. When cold it's a bit different, louder, shifts a bit different, but generally feels good if not a bit jumpy or aggressive. MPGs seem to be along their estimate of -1 mpg.

The day after I got the truck back I drove it about 4 hours, mostly 2-lane HW where I did a lot of passing. I'm heavy footed in general, so speeds got up to 115. It did seem as if a bit of the upper range has been peeled back a little bit, as passing in the 90+ mph range didn't seem quite as strong as before. However, it's barely noticeable and most people probably don't do that sort of driving often (nor should I). Everything else in terms of HW driving is pretty much the same, shift points appear to be the same, and I didn't notice any other differences. On the first leg of the trip I was making a good clip, and spend most of the time in the 85 mph range. According to the PCM, I drove 150 miles in 2:04 with an average speed of 73 and was getting 23.1 mpg. That's probably about right on par with their estimates, as my average over the last 7000 miles is just under 24.

Driving around town also appears to be mostly unchanged. Shift points may be a tad different when pushing it hard, but minimal.

Sport Mode was mostly something I rarely used, as the car felt fine without, mpgs suffered, and it always seemed to be a touch too harsh for that vehicle. In my limited testing since the fix, it actually seems a little tamer and smoothed-out, with a feel I could actually see myself using more often. Don't have any info on mpgs in sport mode.

Now, when cold, the truck is a bit different, but improves until the oil gets to about 120 deg. It got down in the 40's here the last two nights, so I got a few cold sessions in. There is definitely more noise from under the hood when accelerating from a stop, I get lots of diesel "knocking/pinging" that I didn't have before, and the truck kind of jumps or jerks a bit like it really wants to go. I can't tell it it's corresponding to the turbo ramping up, but it's difficult to accelerate smoothly, and you just end up accelerating faster than you intended. It does feel nice and strong though so I just need to spend more time with it in the cold to see if I can get a feel for the throttle differences.

Overall I think I'm good with it. Especially with the $$$ and extra warranty.
Thanks for the review. I'm also going to be all-in. I might call my dealer to see when I can schedule the flash.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:54 PM
dcastar
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys - Longtime reader, first time poster. Figured I'd chime in... Picked up my 'fixed' CD today. 2013, 56k miles.

I've had just about the opposite experience that the previous page-or-so of posters have had.

Definitely increased engine noise... 6dB or so (I'm quite familiar with audio, and it's noticeably louder)
Diesel CLATTER... At all times, even after "warmup". Anytime you feather the throttle, or are applying the throttle at lower RPM. In addition to the clatter, it's oftentimes followed by a significant stumble of the engine. (not transmission related - it's for sure engine stumble) This is only put further into focus when driving in bumper/bumper rush hour traffic.

I can only hope this is a rare case, but there's no possible way I would be able to accept the vehicle driving this different / poorly.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:33 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Bring it back!

Return it and tell them it is unacceptable.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:36 PM
bryanwares
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcastar
Hi Guys - Longtime reader, first time poster. Figured I'd chime in... Picked up my 'fixed' CD today. 2013, 56k miles.

I've had just about the opposite experience that the previous page-or-so of posters have had.

Definitely increased engine noise... 6dB or so (I'm quite familiar with audio, and it's noticeably louder)
Diesel CLATTER... At all times, even after "warmup". Anytime you feather the throttle, or are applying the throttle at lower RPM. In addition to the clatter, it's oftentimes followed by a significant stumble of the engine. (not transmission related - it's for sure engine stumble) This is only put further into focus when driving in bumper/bumper rush hour traffic.

I can only hope this is a rare case, but there's no possible way I would be able to accept the vehicle driving this different / poorly.
My experience of ECR fix is closer to yours but only worse in moderate cold weather.
Dealer said that would be normal thing to expect.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:59 PM
dcastar
Track Day

My experience of ECR fix is closer to yours but only worse in moderate cold weather.
Dealer said that would be normal thing to expect.
I'm in Boston... so moderate-cold weather is what we have right now. This is going to be downright undrivable in Winter... if it gets worse with dropping temps.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:02 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for the latest insights. I wonder if an after market engine block heater may alleviate the symptoms
Old 11-21-2017, 11:06 PM
dcastar
Track Day

Originally Posted by visitador
Thanks for the latest insights. I wonder if an after market engine block heater may alleviate the symptoms
An aftermarket block heater... it was 45F today... that's not cold "per-se". And besides, I shouldn't be responsible for buying a block heater, if it was a problem initiated by a "fix" .... Know-what-I-mean??
Old 11-22-2017, 06:38 AM
Guards Red Car
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What can we do if the "Fix" is unacceptable?

What can we do if the "Fix" is unacceptable? Do we have any leverage? We've researched our purchase, test drove the CD, asked ourselves and our families if the Diesel engine sounds were palatable, we carefully contemplated the service schedule (AdBlue fillups, etc.) - and, now, we're NOT driving the "same car" we originally purchased!

Yes, they threw us some $$ - However, the "Fix" legalese stated that we would not suffer any performance damages...Who do they think they're kidding??!! This community of Porschephiles is the MOST meticulous and performance oriented group of perfectionists! You cannot steal performance and neuter our pride an joy and go unnoticed!!

There is No Substitute... for delivering your customer base the exact machine your factory originally built for us - not some lobotomized, detuned and fettered shell of its' former self!

Does Porsche USA read these posts? Do they care?
Old 11-22-2017, 08:34 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Right, your only play is to take it back to the dealer and tell them what you took the time to write here.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:36 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Guards Red Car
What can we do if the "Fix" is unacceptable? Do we have any leverage? We've researched our purchase, test drove the CD, asked ourselves and our families if the Diesel engine sounds were palatable, we carefully contemplated the service schedule (AdBlue fillups, etc.) - and, now, we're NOT driving the "same car" we originally purchased!

Yes, they threw us some $$ - However, the "Fix" legalese stated that we would not suffer any performance damages...Who do they think they're kidding??!! This community of Porschephiles is the MOST meticulous and performance oriented group of perfectionists! You cannot steal performance and neuter our pride an joy and go unnoticed!!

There is No Substitute... for delivering your customer base the exact machine your factory originally built for us - not some lobotomized, detuned and fettered shell of its' former self!

Does Porsche USA read these posts? Do they care?
It is what the warranty is for. One has to give the dealer a chance to make it all right.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:02 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

The leverage is for the rest of us not to do the fix. I believe that if 85% of us (Touareg Cayenne Audi cars) don’t do it then VW is subject to additional sanctions?

Remember that the other parties already got their cut and would care the least about the consumers, even if their lips say otherwise
Old 11-22-2017, 09:10 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

VW is going to get better than 85% participation. I have not seen many who are not going to take the 2nd half of the money and NOT take the fix.

I've seen way more happy or content with the fix than not.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:27 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

The question was what can be done. Taking it back to the dealer won’t work because it is what it is. There is no incentive on the EPA, CARB or “our†attorneys to push VW to retry. The only thing left is the 85%
Old 11-22-2017, 11:34 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2013

Getting my 2013 done today with a 2017 Panamera Loaner! I am really starting to like the Panamera but expensive it is.

Anyway, I'll report back as to what I see. Again the 2015 fix was excellent no issues. But the 2013-2014 is a different fix so we will see.

Upon return yesterday Happy to report the car drives fine.

Last edited by bella1; 11-23-2017 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Update

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue